Appleseed Park At 800 Rosine St.

Christian

My parents used to take me there in the early 80's. It has a cave and a ball pit I think. Only problem is nobody I have ever talked to remembers it and now that I am older and living in Houston again I would really get a kick out of knowing where it was. Seemed like it was so far away back then.

My parents used to take me there in the early 80's. It has a cave and a ball pit I think. Only problem is nobody I have ever talked to remembers it and now that I am older and living in Houston again I would really get a kick out of knowing where it was. Seemed like it was so far away back then.

What general part of Houston was it? I'd get a kick out of this myself, if only because our geology isn't very conducive to the formation of caves. I'd have thought that you'd have to go out to Washington or Colorado counties, at the very easternmost limit, to find one worthy of mention.

Edited by TheNiche

What general part of Houston was it? I'd get a kick out of this myself, if only because our geology isn't very conducive to the formation of caves. I'd have thought that you'd have to go out to Washington or Colorado counties, at the very easternmost limit, to find one worthy of mention.

I feel like a jerk :( I should have been more descriptive. The park was all indoors, the cave was made of plaster or something. Everyone told me there was a bear in it so I never went in. It was like a small, cheaper physical whymsical if you know what that place was.

I feel like a jerk :( I should have been more descriptive. The park was all indoors, the cave was made of plaster or something. Everyone told me there was a bear in it so I never went in. It was like a small, cheaper physical whymsical if you know what that place was.

head to the children's museum, you may have a flashback except you'll be walking through the human body

Ah, no worries! :) The ball pit comment should've tipped me off.

• 3 months later...

There was a place on a sloping patch of land at 610 and 59 that was like a homemade amusement park with crafts, mabe that was it? I used to take my son there in the early 80ies. There were pitch black tunnel mazes that you could crawl through -kinda scary - ball pits, dress-up areas. It was really informal and uncommercial. I hardly ever remember any staff being around. It was fun. Later there was a plant nursery on this patch of land and now it is just more freeway.

There was a place on a sloping patch of land at 610 and 59 that was like a homemade amusement park with crafts, mabe that was it? I used to take my son there in the early 80ies. There were pitch black tunnel mazes that you could crawl through -kinda scary - ball pits, dress-up areas. It was really informal and uncommercial. I hardly ever remember any staff being around. It was fun. Later there was a plant nursery on this patch of land and now it is just more freeway.

You are describing what I think was called Mountain Park. I remember going there as a child. I also remember a large hill that you could go down in/on giant bags/ mats (or something like that) -like a giant slide.

Those man-made hills used to be common. It seems like I remember people sliding down that hill, now at the entrance for the Westpark Tollway. Other hills were in Meyer Park and Buffalo @ Bellaire, but those were used as (golf) driving ranges. I wonder where all that dirt came from and where it ended up.

• The title was changed to Appleseed Park At 800 Rosine St.