Dubai Specials Tonight

In HD as well.

Incredible Islands: Dubai [TV-PG Ratings N/A] Thursday, December 13, 2007, at 08P Rising from the depths of the Persian Gulf lies what may be one of the most audacious engineering projects the world has ever seen. The Middle Eastern emirate of Dubai is taking nature into its own hands by creating 300 man-made islands off its coast in its attempt to become the #1 tourist destination in the world. Its goal: to develop these islands into what can be seen from space as a world map. Now, NGC takes viewers on an exciting journey through the creation of these Incredible Islands.

Also airs:

Thursday, December 13, 11P

Saturday, December 15, 12P

Impossible Hotel [TV-G Ratings N/A] Thursday, December 13, 2007, at 09P Standing on its own island off the coast of Dubai is one of the most incredible buildings on the planet. At more than 1,000 feet tall, it soars higher than the Eiffel Tower and rises out the Persian Gulf water like a massive yacht. It is the worlds tallest hotel and possibly the most luxurious, with suites costing up to $28,000 a night. Now, NGC takes you inside the conception and construction of this Impossible Hotel that pushed the boundaries of engineering to the limit.

Also airs:

Friday, December 14, 12A

Saturday, December 15, 1P

Both are in HD if you have NatGeoHD (one of the best channels EVER (the rest of this list includes Discovery HD Theater, Discovery, TLC and Discovery Science all in HD, Smithsonian (they repeat too much stuff though) and of course HBO and FX HD)) (geez, did I used enough parens?)

In HD as well.

Incredible Islands: Dubai [TV-PG Ratings N/A] Thursday, December 13, 2007, at 08P Rising from the depths of the Persian Gulf lies what may be one of the most audacious engineering projects the world has ever seen. The Middle Eastern emirate of Dubai is taking nature into its own hands by creating 300 man-made islands off its coast in its attempt to become the #1 tourist destination in the world. Its goal: to develop these islands into what can be seen from space as a world map. Now, NGC takes viewers on an exciting journey through the creation of these Incredible Islands.

Also airs:

Thursday, December 13, 11P

Saturday, December 15, 12P

Impossible Hotel [TV-G Ratings N/A] Thursday, December 13, 2007, at 09P Standing on its own island off the coast of Dubai is one of the most incredible buildings on the planet. At more than 1,000 feet tall, it soars higher than the Eiffel Tower and rises out the Persian Gulf water like a massive yacht. It is the worlds tallest hotel and possibly the most luxurious, with suites costing up to $28,000 a night. Now, NGC takes you inside the conception and construction of this Impossible Hotel that pushed the boundaries of engineering to the limit.

Also airs:

Friday, December 14, 12A

Saturday, December 15, 1P

Both are in HD if you have NatGeoHD (one of the best channels EVER (the rest of this list includes Discovery HD Theater, Discovery, TLC and Discovery Science all in HD, Smithsonian (they repeat too much stuff though) and of course HBO and FX HD)) (geez, did I used enough parens?)

Actually the thing was a big re-run of the same thing that was run this summer and The Palm Jumeirah projects have been completed for over a year now. They have startd on the third Palm and the Burj Al Arab Hotel is very old news and was completed almost ten years ago.

Actually the thing was a big re-run of the same thing that was run this summer and The Palm Jumeirah projects have been completed for over a year now. They have startd on the third Palm and the Burj Al Arab Hotel is very old news and was completed almost ten years ago.

Oh, I think I saw both of them then. I thought these were new.

Anyhow, it will be a welcome vacation from my endless episodes of (reruns of) House, Monk, Scrubs, The Wayans Bros., and Psyche.

Any idea how much those houses are selling for?

And has there been any discussion of them in light of 'global warming' ... if the oceans rise (debatable I know, but humor me) unexpectedly, what happens to all that man-made real estate?

Oh, I think I saw both of them then. I thought these were new.

Anyhow, it will be a welcome vacation from my endless episodes of (reruns of) House, Monk, Scrubs, The Wayans Bros., and Psyche.

Any idea how much those houses are selling for?

And has there been any discussion of them in light of 'global warming' ... if the oceans rise (debatable I know, but humor me) unexpectedly, what happens to all that man-made real estate?

global warming?!? that won't happen for centuries :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Old Dubai might not be as progressive as some wish:

According to Dubai's Department of Tourism and Commerce Marketing's (DTCM) website, 'nationals of 'Israel' may not enter the UAE.' So resolute is this ban that the British Passport Office has been known to issue second passports to Dubai-resident Britons wishing to visit Israel, so that Israeli entry/exit stamps don't appear in the same passport as that containing a Dubai residence visa.

When I was in the Gulf region (many years ago) I travelled to Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, and Bahrain. The differences were incredible.

While Saudi Arabia was very conservative, Bahrain was like being in New York City. It was a lot more liberal and things that wouldn't fly in SA (such as dress, certain public displays of affection, etc.) wouldn't cause an eyelash to blink in Bahrain.

Not sure if it's like that now.

• 4 months later...
ROTATING SKYSCAPERS

Supposedly these are being built in Dubai:

http://www.5min.com/Video/Dubai-Skyscraper...-Floors-4272393

Absolutely amazing!

Need to create a topic soley dedicated to this topic! I want a rotating building near me. Never get bored at the work place.

There should be a test model built ASAP. This is what Houston needs now. Serious! Now, Houston. :D

I want a rotating building near me.

Chicago's not as exciting as Dubai, but at least it's closer. The same architect proposed the same rotating building for Chicago. I think we got Calatrava's Spire instead.

I was doing some Burj Dubai research this week and it looks like the current guesstimates put it at 206 stories, but the owners are only going to claim 162. The modesty is probably warranted because most of what's above 164 is catwalks inside a windowless shaft only a couple of dozen feet wide. Freakin' spires shouldn't count.

When I was in the Gulf region (many years ago) I travelled to Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, and Bahrain. The differences were incredible.

While Saudi Arabia was very conservative, Bahrain was like being in New York City. It was a lot more liberal and things that wouldn't fly in SA (such as dress, certain public displays of affection, etc.) wouldn't cause an eyelash to blink in Bahrain.

Not sure if it's like that now.

It would likely still be like that, especially considering that Saudis need a place where they can be playboys :)

• 2 weeks later...
It would likely still be like that, especially considering that Saudis need a place where they can be playboys :)

One thing that cracks me up about Dubai are all the cars with Saudi plates - and women behind the wheel.

It's as if the husbands drive their wives out of Saudi Arabia and into the UAE just so their wives can get in some driving time.

Of course, given the disaster that is Dubai traffic, I'm not sure if they're enjoying the experience...

I know I sound like a broken record but does anyone know if any of these rotating buildings are actually being built as we speak? Sure would like to see a prototype of at least on level spinning around. Imagine what kind of rollers or wheels it would take. Just sounds too bizarro. :blink:

Archived