Grocery Rumors Swirling

My dad is living on his retirement property out in sherman, but he shops at a Albertsons (i believe) where you walk around with a scan gun and ring up your own food as you go along and pay on your way out. He loves it because if he finds anything scanning a wrong price.. from what is posted or what was in the paper, he gets it for free.

A true new yorker.

Wow never have seen one of those scan gun systems like that before. Wonder how it keeps people from cheating the system and not scanning everything they put in their basket?

I lived in Sherman for four years during the early-mid 1990s while attending Austin College. I still have some old friends up in that area but don't make it up there to visit very often anymore.

I'm not sure how they keep people from stealing. Maybe they just plan on making up the losses in having fewer cashiers?

(My dad bought 19 acres out on southmayd, if you know where that is. He commutes to Plano each day, quite a drive. He's got horses and llamas. New Yorker gone country.)

I used to prefer HEB over Kroger's and Randalls, but since all the HEBs near me are so busy nowadays, I shop at old reliable: Kroger's.

Randall's has always been too expensive, and their selection is surprisingly ho-hum compared to their competitors.

I mean, go to the Randall's in Midtown, for example, and they barely have any Lil' Debbie snack cakes.

I mean, c'mon!

I agree with most of the Randalls assesments. Ever since Safeway bought the chain the qaulity had gone way downhill. I do hit the Midtown store often because it is conveinant. They have a smaller selection due to the real estate constrictions. There is no peice of land in midtown besides the superblock that is big enough for a large superstore.

Well, since SuperTarget is just a parking lot away from my apartment, I shop there. It is really clean inside. Their prices are cheap, and they have been giving a whole lot of competition to Kroger's, H-E-B, and Walmart Supercenter, which are all in a 3-4 mile radius at SuperTarget. I am sad to see Randalls go down, because I liked the store, but not the pricing their. It was really clean inside.

Hey I think there's still a Piggly Wiggly and a Market Basket in Beaumont!  OMG I love those places, they're just nice small-town grocers with good butchers  :)  I like Brookshire Brothers for the same reason.

Coming from a small town I'd take a big city Randall's, HEB, or even Kroger (even though I really don't like their stores) over a small town chain anyday. When you grow up with no choice but a Brookshire Brothers and a dirty, mismanaged independent local store as your only options, you really appreciate having a much larger selection of items and higher quality produce, meat, and especially seafood. And bst of all, unlike my hometown Brookshire's, when I go into my neighborhood Randall's I don't have to look at multiple middle-aged women shopping in a misfitting house dress with rollers in their hair, slippers on their feet, and a cigarette hanging out of their mouth pushing a cart with a couple of screaming kids in it through the store. That's just nasty, and it's a common sight where I grew up.

(Sorry about the rant about people in my rural Southeast Texas hometown, in case anyone was offended by the above comment.)

I agree with most of the Randalls assesments.  Ever since Safeway bought the chain the qaulity had gone way downhill.  I do hit the Midtown store often because it is conveinant.  They have a smaller selection due to the real estate constrictions.    There is no peice of land in midtown besides the superblock that is big enough for a large superstore.

Safeway seems to have a track record of running "upscale" grocery chains into the ground. The first time I lived in Houston that Randalls on Westheimer/Shepherd was always packed. You had trouble finding a parking place. The last time I was there, though, it was totally empty. There were packing boxes stacked around that made the place seem dark and depressing. On the intercom they were running some contest giving away a free trip to Mexico. That's when I realized they were in serious trouble! :lol:

The same thing happened with a chain that Safeway bought around Philadelphia called (I think) Gennardis. I heard from a friend in Philly that Safeway actually issued an apology for ruining the character of the store.

And bst of all, unlike my hometown Brookshire's, when I go into my neighborhood Randall's I don't have to look at multiple middle-aged women shopping in a misfitting house dress with rollers in their hair, slippers on their feet, and a cigarette hanging out of their mouth pushing a cart with a couple of screaming kids in it through the store.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Hey Steven, that's just plain ol' rural SE Texas charm! :lol:

Seriously though, I swear the one in Katy is so sweet. It's super nice and almost refreshing, reminds me of being a kid again. :)

I heard from a friend in Philly that Safeway actually issued an apology for ruining the character of the store.

Subdude, that's classic! :D I honestly feel like the "script" they've been given is so ridiculous at our store out here, I could care less about the points I've earned for whatever free crap they are giving away....and they can't even figure out that my name is backward on my debit card so they call me Mrs. Matthew, or Mrs. Polly, I finally quit correcting them (yes--even managers) because they were in such a rush to get me out (and do you REALLY think I need help with a carryout for a pint of ice cream? :rolleyes: ) and on to the next person.

We get very frustrated now with our Kroger's here on Memorial because they NEVER have a regular lane open after 8PM. They make everyone use the Self-checkout and frankly, I find that the manpower used to get a single transaction done is the same amount of manpower used when checking me out on a regular lane. It's ridiculous for me, and even on what I think will be the easiest to scan (and you are talking to an ex-Kroger checker from my college days), it turns out to be a mass drama that takes far longer than acceptable to reconcile so that I can be on my way.

I think if Kroger gives you a choice to use Self-Checkout, that's one thing, but the store shouldn't force me to scan and bag my own groceries like this was a Sak-n-Sav and expect me to pay the same prices. No way.

Can you tell I went to Kroger last night? Grrr... <_< Matt says, "I don't know why we come here, you just get mad." :lol:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Hey Steven, that's just plain ol' rural SE Texas charm!  :lol:

Seriously though, I swear the one in Katy is so sweet.  It's super nice and almost refreshing, reminds me of being a kid again.  :)

Haha. Well it's part of the very "charm" I moved to Houston to escape. But I will be going home this coming weekend to see Mom and Dad, which probably means trips with Mom to Brookshire's and the brand new Super Wal-Mart. The only good thing about that is I get to brag about my life now when the cashier I went to high school with asks me what I'm doing these days.

The same thing happened with a chain that Safeway bought around Philadelphia called (I think) Gennardis.  I heard from a friend in Philly that Safeway actually issued an apology for ruining the character of the store.

How funny. I do miss the days when Randall's was classier and had nice touches like all checkout lines open during the afternoon rush.

And yes, Polly, that business of asking if you need carry out help when you've bought one item is annoying. It ranks right up there on my list with sackers who give me 18 sacks when I've bought 20 items. That happened last night. When you have to walk about 200 feet from where you park in a garage to your front door, it's a major pain to have that many bags, not to mention a major waste of grocery bags which do cost the store money. I honestly don't care if my ice cream is in the same bag as a jar of peanut butter and tube of toothpaste! Yet last night those three items were each in a bag of their own, despite none of the other bags being even half full. Maybe I should have told the guy he didn't need to help me to the car with my purchases but needed to come to my apartment and carry them inside for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived