Electrical Companies

houstongal

I'm trying to decide on an electrical service provider and I'm torn between Reliant or Direct Energy. Which of these companies is better than the other? Which has a lower rate? Are either company known for corrupt practices? I've tried powertochoose.org but that site is so confusing. I have no idea which service area I'm in; I mean what is an Oncor service area versus a Centerpoint service area. Please help!

ETA: I live in the medical center area.

Edited by houstongal

I am not sure which is best out of the two but the two main things you should take into account is

1) Cost per kwh ( I am currently paying $0.099 per kwh with Gexa)

2) If there is a penalty for canceling your contract early (I tend to favor plans that do not penalize customers for switching )

Those are the two main things I looked for.

Also you may want to look at a device called the PowerCost Monitor (www.save-electricity.ca) The meter readers have misread my reader twice! The first time the meter read misread my meter I received a bill for ~$600 for a small house! The PowerCost Monitor is pretty good about giving you an estimated amount of how much electricity you are using

Edited by student4life

I switched to Direct from Reliant a few years back. At the time Direct was a good bit cheaper, but I couldn't say if that was still the case. As for the service, the lights seemed to work the same with both, but Reliant had terrible billing systems. Some months I received no bill, other times I got two.

if you are here in Houston, you are in Centerpoint. (Dallas is Oncor). Reliant is likely to be the most expensive. No service is better than the other as they are all selling the exact same thing. The service (wires) is still regulated and handled by Centerpoint. The only difference is billing, customer service and agreement terms (like cancellation fees).

I'm trying to decide on an electrical service provider and I'm torn between Reliant or Direct Energy. Which of these companies is better than the other? Which has a lower rate? Are either company known for corrupt practices? I've tried powertochoose.org but that site is so confusing. I have no idea which service area I'm in; I mean what is an Oncor service area versus a Centerpoint service area. Please help!

ETA: I live in the medical center area.

Check out powertochoose.org

This state sponsored web site lists all of the providers for Houston. I went with Amigo Energy because the price was considerable less than Reliant and TXU. My highest bill last summer was $189 for 1,850 sq. ft.

If you're in Houston you should try Houston Customer Choice http://www.houstonconsumerchoice.com/index.asp.

Also, I know most Houstonians don't care about the environment, but many of the green choices cost the same or only slighty more than the traditional plans. I have Green Mountain Energy and the price is comparable to Reliant. That being the case, I don't see why anyone would choose a plan that encourages more coal generated power and the resulting air pollution and mining pollution. Unless you work for a coal company, that is.

Edited by barracuda

Also, I know most Houstonians don't care about the environment, but many of the green choices cost the same or only slighty more than the traditional plans. I have Green Mountain Energy and the price is comparable to Reliant. That being the case, I don't see why anyone would choose a plan that encourages more coal generated power and the resulting air pollution and mining pollution. Unless you work for a coal company, that is.

I see someone's been drinking Al Gore's kool aid. hey, more power to you on your choices, now let's see what can be done to make the "green" alternatives more consumer-friendly in the pocketbook.

Check out powertochoose.org

This state sponsored web site lists all of the providers for Houston. I went with Amigo Energy because the price was considerable less than Reliant and TXU. My highest bill last summer was $189 for 1,850 sq. ft.

Have you had any problems with them so far?

I see someone's been drinking Al Gore's kool aid. hey, more power to you on your choices, now let's see what can be done to make the "green" alternatives more consumer-friendly in the pocketbook.

What does this have to do with Al Gore? I've had Green Mountain Energy for several years, well before the Al Gore documentary you're probably referring to.

I agree, clean renewable energy needs to continue to come down in cost. Hopefully, the economies of scale will do this if more people switch.

Edited by barracuda

Did I miss posts about the meter issue? I just got threatened by Centerpoint via a letter that they are going to cut of my electricity because they have been out to my house 2 months in a row and estimated my usage because they couldn't read the meter and supposedly left a note at my house. BS! My gate has been locked for 5 years and they have never have left anything at my house about an issue. I called them up and the solutions were ...

1. Leave my gate unlocked. Not.

2. Put a combo lock on my gate and they will unlock/lock. Not trusting them.

3. Pay for a wireless meter. Had to go with this option.

When I called centerpoint, they referred me to my provider (Spark) and after talking to them (Very nice local people BTW) we ordered a wireless meter for $65 which I have to pay for.

My issue is it's centerpoint's equipment and they will benefit by being more efficient just like COH wireless water meters.

Has anyone talked about any efforts to force Centerpoint to absorb this cost and get people like me reimbursed for thier equipment which only benefits them?

When do we get the next letter regarding our gas meters since that's in by backyard too?

Edited by XLR8

What does this have to do with Al Gore? I've had Green Mountain Energy for several years, well before the Al Gore documentary you're probably referring to.

I agree, clean renewable energy needs to continue to come down in cost. Hopefully, the economies of scale will do this if more people switch.

I think the primary point being that the vast majority of the electricity that Green Mountain sells is the same as everyone elses. Fossil fuel burning. They market themselves as a green company selling environmentally friendly electricity and they charge a premium for it. The problem is that it simply isn't. You are paying a higher rate for the exact same electricity as your neighbor. It is a questionable business practice in my opinion.

As far as providers, check out Stream. http://order.igniteinc.biz Right now, their best rate is 10.70 per kwhour and that includes all the fees (that other price quotes don't). So if you use 1,100kwhours, your bill will be $117.70, not $117.70+fees (like everyone else). They also have great customer service and zero hassle.

its a marketing ploy. sorry. a good one though...

1 - the energy you actually get comes from whatever generator is closest to your house. we live in Houston. Wind gen is mostly in west TX. guess what, you probably never use a kW of wind generated energy.

2 - getting that energy from west texas ranches to the suburbs requires power lines. lots of them. right now, so much energy is being made in west texas, and no where for the power to go, that generators are actually having to PAY to make power in west texas (well sometimes).

3 - its wind generated energy. wind is free. why do they charge you more for power if it is free? answer, they are hedging in the exact same, coal/gas/nuc market as the rest of them.

at the end of the day, supporting wind energy is great, but it isnt the cure all solution.

I just switched from Direct Energy to Amigo. Direct was charging me .1457 per kwh plus a $5.00 per month fee for "just because". Amigo's qoute was .1140 for six months or .1240 for 12 months. I choose the 6 month term. I had been with Entergy but they dumped me after Hurricane Katrina made a mess of their core area and Direct Energy picked up their non-regulated retail customers. I had no contract or cancellation fee with Direrct Energy BTW.

Wind energy is free? SWEEEET. I'd like to order 1000 free multi-megawatt wind turbines. Where do I sign up?

its a whole lot cheaper than nat gas!!! and i wasn't talking build, which, frankly, i'm not positive to how it compare to a nat gas or coal or whatever plant, but it seems that it would be cheaper...

Did I miss posts about the meter issue? I just got threatened by Centerpoint via a letter that they are going to cut of my electricity because they have been out to my house 2 months in a row and estimated my usage because they couldn't read the meter and supposedly left a note at my house. BS! My gate has been locked for 5 years and they have never have left anything at my house about an issue. I called them up and the solutions were ...

1. Leave my gate unlocked. Not.

2. Put a combo lock on my gate and they will unlock/lock. Not trusting them.

3. Pay for a wireless meter. Had to go with this option.

When I called centerpoint, they referred me to my provider (Spark) and after talking to them (Very nice local people BTW) we ordered a wireless meter for $65 which I have to pay for.

My issue is it's centerpoint's equipment and they will benefit by being more efficient just like COH wireless water meters.

Has anyone talked about any efforts to force Centerpoint to absorb this cost and get people like me reimbursed for thier equipment which only benefits them?

When do we get the next letter regarding our gas meters since that's in by backyard too?

XLR8, were you getting a lot of misreads of your meter? That is the issue I am currently experiencing. Does your wireless meter allow you to store your readings to a home computer so you can track your energy usage and verify your bill? If so where did you order your wireless meter from? The PowerCost Monitor works great but I have been looking for something that will allow you to store your electricity usage on a home computer for easier trending, tracking and most importantly verfication of my bill...

Also you might want check out the link below to a forbs article because it looks like Centerpoint is already spending money to roll wireless meters out.

http://www.forbes.com/home/free_forbes/2007/1112/154.html

Edited by student4life

XLR8, were you getting a lot of misreads of your meter? That is the issue I am currently experiencing. Does your wireless meter allow you to store your readings to a home computer so you can track your energy usage and verify your bill? If so where did you order your wireless meter from? The PowerCost Monitor works great but I have been looking for something that will allow you to store your electricity usage on a home computer for easier trending, tracking and most importantly verfication of my bill...

Also you might want check out the link below to a forbs article because it looks like Centerpoint is already spending money to roll wireless meters out.

http://www.forbes.com/home/free_forbes/2007/1112/154.html

I have never seen any unusual amounts on my meter. The meter they installed is a ITron Centron C1SR R300 which is a base model with wireless reading capability. It can be expanded with add-on modules for peak metering. Usage so far seems in line for this time of year.

Now .....

Today I got another letter in the mail from Centerpoint for my gas meter stating the same story however this time the wireless gas meter will be $180!!! Again they never leave any notices that they came by and especially the last month someone has been home like everyday.

What I am hoping is to find out about someone putting together a class action lawsuit against Centerpoint to force them to reimburse people for paying for this upgrade to thier system. It's their equipment and they benefit by reduced operation costs.

I have never seen any unusual amounts on my meter. The meter they installed is a ITron Centron C1SR R300 which is a base model with wireless reading capability. It can be expanded with add-on modules for peak metering. Usage so far seems in line for this time of year.

Now .....

Today I got another letter in the mail from Centerpoint for my gas meter stating the same story however this time the wireless gas meter will be $180!!! Again they never leave any notices that they came by and especially the last month someone has been home like everyday.

What I am hoping is to find out about someone putting together a class action lawsuit against Centerpoint to force them to reimburse people for paying for this upgrade to thier system. It's their equipment and they benefit by reduced operation costs.

Exactly! How are they charging us for something that benefits them?

• 4 weeks later...

As a partial update to this issue, I got a reply card mailed to me a week ago asking me to read the meter. I went out to the meter and discovered that it's so old (probably the original 1960 unit) that the glass cover is loose and and completely fogged over. You have to move the glass plate around to try and see each dial. After this adventure I am going to contact them and pursue pushing the cost back on them since what's out there is really old. I will post the outcome.