59 Dinner And Others Building To Be Demolished

This is from the Houston Freeways website:

10w_59_diner_19_2004-08-08_800.jpg

8-August-2004. Further east, right-of-way will be taken from the south side of the freeway due to a cemetery on the north side. The 59 Diner and all the establishments on the south side have an appointment with the bulldozer in the near future.

The issue is not the food, it's the building... a spirited interpretation of Googie arcthitecture that was recognized by the AIA as a great design.

texasdago,

Nice try, but getting most people on this forum to actually discuss or even think about architecture/design/urban planning is becoming a lost cause. This site had and maybe still has such great promise to become a meaningful forum that at least resembles its name, but the last few months have been dreadful. Do you know of any other site that carries discussions about local design without all the nonsense?

I love that 59 Diner building and am upset to see it go. I only ate at the Katy Freeway location twice and both times the food was good. The other location at 59 and Sheperd was one of my favorite hangouts for me about 10 years ago... I loved the food there.

texasdago,

Nice try, but getting most people on this forum to actually discuss or even think about architecture/design/urban planning is becoming a lost cause.  This site had and maybe still has such great promise to become a meaningful forum that at least resembles its name, but the last few months have been dreadful.  Do you know of any other site that carries discussions about local design without all the nonsense?

i agree jtmbin. so let's talk architecture. start a thread that includes items that interest you and i'll bet there are 10 other people who want to talk about it. i miss some of the conversations on these subjects and look forward to more in the future. forums ebb and flow. inject yourself in to the forum more (with subjects important to you) and we will have a more interesting forum.

i look forward to your thoughts.

I've only been to the Katy Freeway location once but I enjoyed it. I've eaten at the Shepherd location a lot more simply because it's a lot more convenient. But I think it's sad to see a really interesting building being destroyed for the freeway expansion. It's one thing to tear down a Bennigan's that looks like every other Bennigan's in the nation. It's pretty sad to tear down a unique, custom design like this one.

isn't there another 59 diner like that one off i-10 near greenway plaza? i think there may even be one of 249 as well.

Hmmm... could you mean US 59 near Greenway Plaza?

Yes, there is -- it's on Shepherd just north of the freeway. But the building is a different design.

I think there is one on 249 at 1960 across from Willowbrook Mall. Can't remember what it looks like though.

isn't there another 59 diner like that one off i-10 near greenway plaza? i think there may even be one of 249 as well.

Yep, there is one on 249. Passed by it last night.

I don't see what all the fuss about smashing this flat is about....its not like its some one of a kind period structure...it is a recently built building, and there are several dupes floating around....

Yep, there is one on 249.  Passed by it last night.

I don't see what all the fuss about smashing this flat is about....its not like its some one of a kind period structure...it is a recently built building, and there are several dupes floating around....

i'm not worried about it either. 59 Diner will rebuild (perhaps at a more profitable location). might i suggest "the woodlands". (that's my ever increasing stomach talking.) :rolleyes:

i agree jtmbin.  so let's talk architecture.  start a thread that includes items that interest you and i'll bet there are 10 other people who want to talk about it.  i miss some of the conversations on these subjects and look forward to more in the future.  forums ebb and flow.  inject yourself in to the forum more (with subjects important to you) and we will have a more interesting forum.

i look forward to your thoughts.

Hear hear. I second that emotion.

I'm not an architect, but I enjoy architectural discussions. If there were more to respond to, I would respond more. But for the most part I'm not qualified to start one. But I'll try harder anyway.

The 59 Dinner is moving to I 10 near Washington.  The cashier said it would be ready soon.  He said the new building would be similar in design to the old one.

Hey, this is great news! I wonder exactly where near Washington it will be? Maybe they could replace that Denny's. :)

Yep, there is one on 249.  Passed by it last night.

No, it's not period, but it is a very nice attempt at neo-googie, if there is such a thing. I've always loved that style of architecture, so I hate to see the building lost if for no other reason that it tries something different than the usual roadside strip restaurant. It's unfortunate that Houston has so few good original examples remaining of that style. Interesting that it was recognized by the AIA.

Archived