"the Authentic Mexican Taco"

I've been telling people that the most standard or normal way people in Mexico eat tacos is tortilla + choice of meat + chopped onions + cilantro.

Of course tomatoes or whatever can be added, but if there is a taco "archetype", does the above scenario fit it?

I would have written this in the fish tacos thread, but I didn't wanna get yelled at for being off topic.

Please help me! The Japanese conception of "tacos" (which they call even a single taco) is horrendous. They come with mayonnaise here! Mayonnaise! AAAAGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

:blink:

I've been telling people that the most standard or normal way people in Mexico eat tacos is tortilla + choice of meat + chopped onions + cilantro.

Of course tomatoes or whatever can be added, but if there is a taco "archetype", does the above scenario fit it?

That's what I've always been told. The best I've had in Houston came from La Michoacana meat market at 1348 N Shepherd.

yep. and the tamales are completely different too.

Really? How are they different?

Y'all's taco wisdom is much appreciated. Gracias, muchachos. Perhaps one day in Japan, real tacos can be made and sold for a decent price. This is one of my dreams.

Are they missing any of the ingedients in Japan? I know you can get meat there, and I figure onions and cilantro are probably available. Is it just tortillas that are missing? You can make those pretty easily.

I would have written this in the fish tacos thread, but I didn't wanna get yelled at for being off topic.

Please help me! The Japanese conception of "tacos" (which they call even a single taco) is horrendous. They come with mayonnaise here! Mayonnaise! AAAAGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeahhhhhhhhhh, mayonnaise! I heard about that! No other race besides Mexicans should attempt mexican food. (ever eaten at Pancho's Buffet? ugggghhhhhh!!! @ white people mexican food!)

Oh yeahhhhhhhhhh, mayonnaise! I heard about that! No other race besides Mexicans should attempt mexican food. (ever eaten at Pancho's Buffet? ugggghhhhhh!!! @ white people mexican food!)

No, just tex-mex. I love Pancho's, but I miss the fat Panco mascot.

I once almost got my wife to eat Japanese "tacos." Of course, "taco" (or is it "tako?") in Japanese is octopus. Somewhere in my archive I have a picture of a "taco" wagon near the pond in Ueno park. It could be any standard Mexican taco cart, but the giveaway is the cartoon octopi on the sign.

On a related note, there's a place in Yokohama that sells AUTHENTIC Tex-Mex. It's run by an ex-U.S. Navy guy who imports all the ingredients from the U.S. I wish I could remember the name. Keep an eye on Metropolis or whatever the Yokohama equivalent is and it might pop up.

you are correct. of course i find salsa verde and limon (lime) to be standard as well, but that's just personal preferance.

oh yeah..... CORN TORTILLAS.

best ones i've ever had have come from either:

a. the taco truck that stops by the construction sites everyday around 11:30

b. the taco stands outside the bars in border towns like acuna, nuevo laredo, matamoras, etc. granted, alcohol may or may not have clouded my judgement :D

Are they missing any of the ingedients in Japan? I know you can get meat there, and I figure onions and cilantro are probably available. Is it just tortillas that are missing? You can make those pretty easily.
I could make them, but I don't care to. I just would like to be able to buy decent ones at a not-so-ridiculous price. Every time I go out for Tex-Mex here, it costs around $25 just for myself. Yeesh.
I'm not defending Pancho's, but your other statements are pretty uncool and ethnocentric. Good for you.
On a related note, there's a place in Yokohama that sells AUTHENTIC Tex-Mex. It's run by an ex-U.S. Navy guy who imports all the ingredients from the U.S. I wish I could remember the name. Keep an eye on Metropolis or whatever the Yokohama equivalent is and it might pop up.
Yeah, you can find it, but it's exorbitant. I found a good place in Osaka and treated my parents, but it came out to $60. I shouldn't complain about the price, though. Many things are ridiculously expensive in Japan. I guess I'm just homesick and bellyachin'. Glad y'all backed me up on the cilantro and onions, though.

Archived