Metrorail Passes 40 Million Boardings

editor

What's the fine? I remember seeing some woman being picked up for fare evasion on Channel 11 news. She did the whole Oh-it-must-be-in-here-somewhere-bit, searching her bag. It ended with her being led off in cuffs, flipping the bird to the camera. Amusing stuff.

I think it is around $100.

Many MetroRail riders either transferred from a bus (where they had to pay a fare and get a transfer, or use a pass), or they are regular Metro riders who have passes. I've seen Metro Police checking for fare evasion many times when I've ridden MetroRail and have rarely seen them catch someone without a valid fare item.

• 2 months later...

out of all the times i hav eused the rail.............only once have i seen cops checking the fares. Its hard to understand why they would build something based on the trust system. They would allow something like this on the bus, so why the light rail??

I wonder how much Metro could make, if they truly forced people to buy a ticket like a real subway station??

• 4 weeks later...
I've ridden it several times and never been checked either. But the odds will eventually catch up with you. Better to be safe than sorry.

True - I've been checked twice - once after boarding, and once on the platform.

I use the Q card these days if I ride, and I have yet to see the magic wand.

I rode it for free saturday night.

One of the two ticket machines was out of order, I was in line for the only working machine when the train arrived. I said screw it, if they cant make it easy for me to buy a ticket, thats not my problem.

I didnt get checked coming or going.

The machines are due for an upgrade, due to several instances I've had like the one you just described.

The trains are absolutely PACKED for the rodeo right now. I'm guessing 10% of the people are actually paying, just because I don't see a cop checking every single person on the train's ticket.

I think for the cookoff, they might look the other way.

Even you have to admit that 56,000+ people within a few hours time is a bit much for the system to handle with only a few stations. Enforcing all that would be insane.

The machines are due for an upgrade, due to several instances I've had like the one you just described.

The trains are absolutely PACKED for the rodeo right now. I'm guessing 10% of the people are actually paying, just because I don't see a cop checking every single person on the train's ticket.

I refuse to believe that rodeo goers, those true American, country music loving, God fearing, flag waving, largely conservative patriots, would take public transportation without paying full fare. Heresy! Only poor minority welfare cheats who vote Democrat ride for free!

I think for the cookoff, they might look the other way.

Even you have to admit that 56,000+ people within a few hours time is a bit much for the system to handle with only a few stations. Enforcing all that would be insane.

Why not make it free for that day and have the Rodeo pay some sort of cut (I'm sure someone could come up with a reasonable figure)? The same model could conceivably be used for Texans games.

Why not make it free for that day and have the Rodeo pay some sort of cut (I'm sure someone could come up with a reasonable figure)? The same model could conceivably be used for Texans games.
That would be bad.

I agree with you up to a point Trae.

I don't think it would be totally unreasonable for the The Texans/HLSR/OTC/ETC to pay, say .20-30 cents a head that get off (and on) the station for a period of time. The Texans/HLSR Would then lose out on the MONEY that they would get from PARKING. That has been their biggest whining point for the Convention Hotel.

My biggest complaint is that MetroRail is rather rigid to their schedule during rodeo and maintain the 15 minute wait when the event is over.

Edited by ricco67

METRO needs to ramp up its service on big Rodeo days (the big concerts). The Rodeo is going to be packed those days, and METRO needs to treat it like rush hour.

Edited by Trae

I refuse to believe that rodeo goers, those true American, country music loving, God fearing, flag waving, largely conservative patriots, would take public transportation without paying full fare. Heresy! Only poor minority welfare cheats who vote Democrat ride for free!

Being a chepaskate is truly bi-partisan!