Moving To The Woodlands

snickstx

I meant more the differences in the courses. Does a school such as Klein Oak offer IB in addition to AP courses, or do they do away with the AP program in favor of IB? I'd like to see a list of IB courses offered.

I was able to find the info at Klein Oak HS's website:

http://classroom.kleinisd.net/webs/ibklein...escriptions.htm

Edited by Native1

I've heard that many universities are starting not to accept AP credits because kids are coming in horribly ill-prepared. But, I guess you might be slightly more prepared from the AP classes, but just won't get college credit.

Not according to KOHS's website:"The state of Texas awards 24 credit hours to any state university to IB Diploma Programme graduates."

http://classroom.kleinisd.net/webs/ibkleinoak/faqs.htm

Edited by Native1

Native-

Yes, I believe that this is the result of recent legislation that has taken place in Austin. I think that this varies in other states, though, and from school to school as to not only the amount of credit given, but also the qualifications. With the A.P. test, different schools also require different scores on the tests. As with anything, you can learn more by going to the I.B. website and to the College Board website (for the A.P. test information). One other tidbit that I recently learned is to check whether the high schools in a particular district use weighted or non-weighted G.P.A.'s. At Klein Oak, we use weighted, meaning that if you take the harder courses (such as I.B./A.P./newly-added dual-credit) you will receive a higher G.P.A. ranking that those students who choose not to enroll in those courses. This is important to know, since Texas is still following the Top 10% rule, and may be utilizing it for some time to come. Check with school counselors to learn more.

Native-

Yes, I believe that this is the result of recent legislation that has taken place in Austin. I think that this varies in other states, though, and from school to school as to not only the amount of credit given, but also the qualifications. With the A.P. test, different schools also require different scores on the tests. As with anything, you can learn more by going to the I.B. website and to the College Board website (for the A.P. test information). One other tidbit that I recently learned is to check whether the high schools in a particular district use weighted or non-weighted G.P.A.'s. At Klein Oak, we use weighted, meaning that if you take the harder courses (such as I.B./A.P./newly-added dual-credit) you will receive a higher G.P.A. ranking that those students who choose not to enroll in those courses. This is important to know, since Texas is still following the Top 10% rule, and may be utilizing it for some time to come. Check with school counselors to learn more.

Pine, yes while Texas may have passed that, nationally the AP course credit and CLEP-ing out of classes is becoming a thing of the past. We were on a sports team with the College Counselor from Kinkaid, and she was explaining all this to us. Also you can google the subject and find many school won't accept the credits anymore as a way to get out of freshman courses. But if your kid is only going to go to school in TX, then its no big deal.

Edited by KatieDidIt

Katie-

I'm not disagreeing with you there. I see Governor's Perry legislation as just an attempt to (1) stop the brain drain of good university candidates from leaving the state and (2) just get anything passed in the state legislature.

As to the topic at hand regarding educational choices; if I wanted the best possible education for my child in any public school, I would pretty much disregard the current system of grading schools "Recognized", "Exemplary", etc. because I think that whole system has been shown to have fatal flaws and is not a true reflection of what's happening in the classrooms.

I would, however, discuss with my child, early and often, the benefits of being a good student and what it takes to become one. I also would make sure I met each teacher and got their e-mail address, website address and any other classroom materials they asked for my child to have as soon as possible, and try to work with the teachers as a team.

When you look only at school ratings, or whether schools have special programs like I.B. or A.P. or whatever else, you will never get an adequate feel for what's really going on in the school, much less in the classroom. Things like school ratings can be manipulated and are therefore almost meaningless. Becoming actively involved with the educational process; making sure your kid understands the value of a good education and working with them to achieve that goal, keeping the lines of communication open with the teachers, principals, counselors, and supporting the school's programs are all more meaningful ways of achieving the best possible education for your child.

You can't just look at a school district's list of schools and say, "I think this school is better because it got a rating of Exemplary, it must be better than all the rest." And, then think that because you chose that school, that your involvement with the educational process is over, and that the teachers will take care of the rest. That is just tiny piece, looking at ratings. All schools, even the "Exemplary" ones, have good teachers, not so good, and downright awful ones. As a parent, it is in your best interest and that of your child, to stay actively involved in the process. Be the "pesty parent", be the "squeaky wheel", but also let principals, counselors, school board members and even superintendents know when your child actually has an exceptional teacher as well.

If I have to pick amongst schools in any given district, I think safety would be my first concern. Is the learning taking place in a safe environment? Will my child feel safe here? Then look at the ratings, but take them with a grain of salt. Then, meet with the principals of the schools you're interested in. Teachers seem to follow the cues of their principals. If you have a really good principal as the leader of the school, and people seem to happy when you walk into the front office, that's a good indication of what you'll find throughout the school.

Finally, when your child is in school, support the programs at that school. Go to the football games, show up at the choir concerts, and band concerts, and school musicals. Join the booster clubs of the extracurricular activities your child is into. There are all different levels of participation available in these things, and your kid will pick up on the fact that you are actively encouraging and supporting their interest. If you don't think you're qualified to help out with say, "running the chains", at your kid's junior high football game, rest assured there will be people to help teach you how to do it.

Yes, it sounds like a lot to ask of a parent. But exceptional students typically have exceptional and involved parents.

Katie, I know that some universities (like mine) accept scores of "3," and some do not accept scores of "3" for credit. My university had me placed in Rhetoric II instead of Rhetoric I.

I wonder which universities only take 5s...

* 1 = Nothing - Failing

* 2 = Bad - Failing

* 3 = Passing

* 4 = Good

* 5 = Best

On considering places to live in the area, one might take a look at buying a home in the Klein Oak High School feeder school system area, part of the Klein school district. The area is booming, has good access to the new freeway system to be completed by 2015, the school systems are good there, the people are generally terrific there, and I can cite more reasons to live there. It is in Harris County so the tax structure is different. There are a wide variety of homes in the area and related costs, from the $100's to the millions. The residents in that area is a mixture of country people living there for decades and new famlies moving into the new neighborhoods. Some of the subdivisions are wooded and others are bare. The area still has a number of horse farms and ranch estates.

What "new freeway system" is this?

The Grand parkway. I call it a freeway just because some day it will certainly be one. I do not know what the exact plans are yet, yet the route has been defined now and last I checked, work begins next year in our area. I do not think any additional change in plans will be coming for our area. I will post some new info on the regional transportation post to not get off subject here. The Klein area will have good access to 249 which as you know will be an excellent artery to Tomball (it is a bit congested now) and to the Northwest Houston area. The Grand Parkway would be useful to have today!

Woody-

You must be privy to some information I haven't seen. Last I heard, there still was no funding for the Grand Parkway, Segment F-2, which I'm guessing is the one segment you must be referring to. But, maybe you mean Segment G.

The Klein area will have good access to 249 which as you know will be an excellent artery to Tomball (it is a bit congested now) and to the Northwest Houston area. The Grand Parkway would be useful to have today!

I'm not sure what you're trying to say with this part. The Klein area already has good access to 249 & 2920. I really don't believe that the ~$200 million Segment F-2 is not being built to help out anyone in the Klein area.

If you do find out where the funding is coming from for Segment F-2, please post that information here. Thanks! :)

Edited by pineda

Woody-

I'm not sure what you're trying to say with this part. The Klein area already has good access to 249 & 2920. I really don't believe that the ~$200 million Segment F-2 is not being built to help out anyone in the Klein area.

If you do find out where the funding is coming from for Segment F-2, please post that information here. Thanks! :)

I posted a response in the regional transportation thread so that we can get back on topic. Sorry folks.

• The title was changed to Moving To The Woodlands