City Bulk Trash Department Sucks

rapturematt

I am completely fed up with the city and how they handle their bulk trash.

Over a month ago, I had cleaned off my house of some old ivy and an old chain link fence from the back yard to make room for our home to be repainted and a new wood fence up. I put out all the trash the Saturday before the bulk trash was supposed to be picked up and they did not pick it up.

When I called the city they said they were going to send someone out to take care of it. A week later I called and got the same response. During that time all of the neighbors decided to start piling up their bulk trash on mine and it got bigger and bigger. I kept calling the city and they would never come out and do anything.

Last week I got a ticket for puting out bulk trash to early. I was so fed up. I don't know what to do. I called and asked for a supervisor to pick our stuff up and he never called me back. Now a month has gone by and the bulk trash manager stopped by today to say that he was not going to pick it up because there is to much. I tried to explain to him that all of the neighbors kept piling up their trash on mine and all I had was some ivy and old chain link fence, but he interupted me and said, "Not my problem, you are going to have to get rid of this yourself."

What do I do, now I have a big pile of trash on my front lawn that has been there for over a month and a ticket that I would have never received if the bulk trash would have been picked up on time the first month?

Any have any suggestions?

I am completely fed up with the city and how they handle their bulk trash.

Over a month ago, I had cleaned off my house of some old ivy and an old chain link fence from the back yard to make room for our home to be repainted and a new wood fence up. I put out all the trash the Saturday before the bulk trash was supposed to be picked up and they did not pick it up.

When I called the city they said they were going to send someone out to take care of it. A week later I called and got the same response. During that time all of the neighbors decided to start piling up their bulk trash on mine and it got bigger and bigger. I kept calling the city and they would never come out and do anything.

Last week I got a ticket for puting out bulk trash to early. I was so fed up. I don't know what to do. I called and asked for a supervisor to pick our stuff up and he never called me back. Now a month has gone by and the bulk trash manager stopped by today to say that he was not going to pick it up because there is to much. I tried to explain to him that all of the neighbors kept piling up their trash on mine and all I had was some ivy and old chain link fence, but he interupted me and said, "Not my problem, you are going to have to get rid of this yourself."

What do I do, now I have a big pile of trash on my front lawn that has been there for over a month and a ticket that I would have never received if the bulk trash would have been picked up on time the first month?

I had a similar problem. Anticipating the "there's too much" argument, I put out half of the debris from some demo work, and they picked that up (evenutally). Then I put out the second half, and it sat for months. They said that there was insulation that they refuse to handle and that I'd have to take care of it myself, even though they'd handled it the first time.

My trash pile never got ticketed, even though it partially blocked the sidewalk from time to time. I was also very concerned that some young pyromaniacs might light it all on fire; fortunately that didn't come to be.

Unfortunately, it is pretty well known that the heavy trash service has been cut back dramatically to save money. I'm not sure that writing nasty letters to your local politicians will do much good, either. ...but it couldn't hurt.

call your councilmember.....what district is this?

If you were ticketed it was probably from a hateful neighbor in retaliation. I had a person that kept allowing her dogs to crap right where I always had to mow the grass. I asked per politely twice and she accelerated the act behind my back of course. (I can see everything from 2nd floor >:) ).

A heavy downpour knocked over a thorny vine onto my car. I cut it down and placed out front about 5 days too early. She HAD to have been the one that called a cop (of course while I was a work). Found a nice #!*@^$.... ticket on my gate. They wanted like, what is it $375.00? for a few strands of vine being put out too early? Cop wrote blocking people from passing on sidewalk.

You think you had some steam to blow! I had to write a letter and go to court to contest. Judge only reduced , but "better than paying the full amount son" he proclaimed. If only it were legal to set bear traps for neighbors.

I am in Riverside Terrace on the north side of brays bayou. I would not doubt that a hateful neighbor said something since I am the only white person to own property on my street and nearly the whole neighborhood.

depending on conditions, sometimes they do random sweeps. you just never know

I am in Riverside Terrace on the north side of brays bayou. I would not doubt that a hateful neighbor said something since I am the only white person to own property on my street and nearly the whole neighborhood.

Don't forget your Civic Club, that's usually part of what they do. The problem was obviously leaving it near the street after pickup day, regardless of whether it should've been picked up or not.

We just had a similar situation here and the pile had to be split and it will take a couple of months to remove it. They limit you to 4 cubic yards (what they consider a pickup truck load), but drivers vary and have to make judgement calls. I also have heard that putting the stuff in boxes helps your chances of getting it picked up, even if larger than allowed (oh, I've also heard $50 helps too). B)

Bring it to our neighborhood...we've never had a problem getting anything picked up here.

While we were renovating our house, they would regularly pick up piles of construction debris 5' tall and 15' wide from our yard. It was obvious construction debris, with our house sitting there gutted to the studs.

We've got a vacant lot at the end of the street that makes a nice depository for everyone on our block. The pile can get pretty big at certain times of the year with tree branches and stuff. There's a couch and coffee table out there right now, and I guarantee it'll be picked up by COH on heavy trash day.

I haven't had the need to call 311 too often, but they've always been responsive. I forgot to put my trash can out one day, called 311, and they had it picked up the next morning, within 12 hours of my call.

Bring it to our neighborhood...we've never had a problem getting anything picked up here.

While we were renovating our house, they would regularly pick up piles of construction debris 5' tall and 15' wide from our yard. It was obvious construction debris, with our house sitting there gutted to the studs.

We've got a vacant lot at the end of the street that makes a nice depository for everyone on our block. The pile can get pretty big at certain times of the year with tree branches and stuff. There's a couch and coffee table out there right now, and I guarantee it'll be picked up by COH on heavy trash day.

I haven't had the need to call 311 too often, but they've always been responsive. I forgot to put my trash can out one day, called 311, and they had it picked up the next morning, within 12 hours of my call.

What neighborhood do you live in? Apparently nowhere near me.

You guys have it so good. I'm in the "TREE WASTE RECYCLING PILOT PROGRAM", where we only get heavy trash pickup in January, May and September next year. The other months, only "tree waste" will be picked up.

Westbury is going to this format?

flipper

You have to almost laugh when you pass a home and to see what they have left out for heavy trash pickup.

I have seen what appears to be part of the house. I mean heaps as high as 6-8 ft of old lumber/roof/shingles/window frames, etc. Like part of the house was left for them to pick up. Some look like Dorothy's house was dropped there for heavy trash. (no witch underneath I think)

I mean thats a bit over kill wouldn't you say. Now if one gets a ticket for a few strands of vines left out, what about leaving half your house for pick up?! Whats next leave out your old car? Bizarro :wacko:

You have to almost laugh when you pass a home and to see what they have left out for heavy trash pickup.

I have seen what appears to be part of the house. I mean heaps as high as 6-8 ft of old lumber/roof/shingles/window frames, etc. Like part of the house was left for them to pick up. Some look like Dorothy's house was dropped there for heavy trash. (no witch underneath I think)

I mean thats a bit over kill wouldn't you say. Now if one gets a ticket for a few strands of vines left out, what about leaving half your house for pick up?! Whats next leave out your old car? Bizarro :wacko:

I don't know, I have been one of those people that have left waht appears to be part of my house on the curb. That is because it WAS. It's called remodeling. I never got a ticket, and it was faithfully picked up. I never blocked the sidewalk or street with it. Sometimes this required carefully stacking the trash, and where possible, putting it in boxes and segregating the wood from other debris, as the City asks, but it has always been picked up without incident.

I have heard similar complaints in my neighborhood about missed trash, but my experience has been good. 3 very large piles picked up in 3 months. If you can, try and find out through your council person, HPD or civic assoc. who your neighborhood protection officer is. Ours has been very good aobut helping correct missed trash pick-ups.

Moving back to town from San Antonio, where heavy trash pick-up only twice a year, I was shocked to have monthly service. A real help when you have an old money pit and lots of trees. I'm grateful not to have ended up in a 'test' neighborhood.

What neighborhood do you live in? Apparently nowhere near me.

I'm within walking distance of Riverside Terrace...just a couple miles down Scott Street, in South Union.

...and the guys don't even mind picking up White Trash :) (me being the only Anglo for many blocks around).

I'm surprised at your bad luck with the trash pick-up. Also sounds like you've got a crappy neighbor. I say kill her with kindness...or a pillow (leaves no marks).

Were you contacting COH through 311? I've had very good luck with 311...I've always recieved the service on the first call, with the exception of Animal Control and some stray pit bulls last year.

Edited by Original Timmy Chan's

I'm within walking distance of Riverside Terrace...just a couple miles down Scott Street, in South Union.

...and the guys don't even mind picking up White Trash :) (me being the only Anglo for many blocks around).

I'm surprised at your bad luck with the trash pick-up. Also sounds like you've got a crappy neighbor. I say kill her with kindness...or a pillow (leaves no marks).

Were you contacting COH through 311? I've had very good luck with 311...I've always recieved the service on the first call, with the exception of Animal Control and some stray pit bulls last year.

I called 311 like 6 times. It sucked. They said they were sending someone out and never did.

I live on Prospect Street. Where do you live? Wow, I found another white neighbor?