What's YOUR Houston?

totheskies

Just some questions on my mind, and I wanted to offer them to y'all as well as HAIF...

Houston seems to be the city in Texas that is "undefined" or "less defined". We all know it's big, and "the largest city in Texas", but DFW is the largest Metropolitan area. True that it's also plenty weird and random, but most people associate Texas weirdness with Austin. No major tourist attractions like San Antonio, and no strong-rooted historical significance like Fort Worth (at least not that we hold onto... Houston has a tendency to favor the current trends of architecture, art, etc.) Even geographically, DFW is North Texas, Austin is central, San Antonio is south, but where is Houston? Caught in the middle and very near the coast.

Let me preface the question by saying that a malleable identity is not always a bad thing. We apparently adjust to change very quickly here because we don't have to hold onto one great Houstonian ideal. But what is Houston to you????

Edited by totheskies

Just some questions on my mind, and I wanted to offer them to y'all as well as HAIF...

Houston seems to be the city in Texas that is "undefined" or "less defined". We all know it's big, and "the largest city in Texas", but DFW is the largest Metropolitan area. True that it's also plenty weird and random, but most people associate Texas weirdness with Austin. No major tourist attractions like San Antonio, and no strong-rooted historical significance like Fort Worth (at least not that we hold onto... Houston has a tendency to favor the current trends of architecture, art, etc.) Even geographically, DFW is North Texas, Austin is central, San Antonio is south, but where is Houston? Caught in the middle and very near the coast.

Let me preface the question by saying that a malleable identity is not always a bad thing. We apparent adjust to change very quickly here because we don't have to hold onto one great Houstonian ideal. But what is Houston to you????

Good question. I have to, reluctantly maybe, agree with what one of the mayor's representatives said this past weekend during the opening of the Houston Asian Festival,,,,"people come to Houston for business and for work."

Seems like the accomplishments out of here that make news elsewhere, or of note, or news stories that break out of Houston are related to business.

Let me preface the question by saying that a malleable identity is not always a bad thing. We apparent adjust to change very quickly here because we don't have to hold onto one great Houstonian ideal. But what is Houston to you????

I just got back from a whirlwind business trip through Dallas and Austin. Austin I know intimately and has a strong identity leveraged on hippie roots but corrupted into something obscene--bobos. Dallas, I don't know very well, but I spent the most time up there and am slowly acclamating to it. I kept on trying to figure out what it was all about, asking the same questions about it that you pose about Houston, but haven't arrived at any conclusions.

I can only make a relative comparison. Houston and Dallas are both pigs; Dallas bothers with lipstick; Houston doesn't really care. Send either pig to market and they fetch the same price.

Edited by TheNiche

Well, i think that our port and NASA makes its mark on Houston's reputation. We do have national recognition in many areas, just as Dallas, Austin, SA, or Fort Worth does.

I will admit that many things (such as the hurricanes, Enron, crazy killer ladies aka Andrea Yates, Clara Harris, Lisa Novack, cheerleader mom, and other stuff like pollution, unattractiveness, etc) that thrust Houston into the national news light are not the most desirable things. But we are still a top tourist destination (business trips or otherwise) in the nation. So many do get to see the REAL Houston

All true, but I wonder just how many people see the real Houston. In many ways this city functions like a small town; we don't go out of our way to promote ourselves in other places. Houstonians are very close-knit folks... we know our city, and all of the "goings-on" here. But there's little desire to include the rest of the US in our lives.

Take the east and west coast for example. EVERYONE knows about New York and Los Angeles because they control the media. Can you turn on the television without seeing those places????

In many ways this city functions like a small town; we don't go out of our way to promote ourselves in other places. Houstonians are very close-knit folks... we know our city, and all of the "goings-on" here. But there's little desire to include the rest of the US in our lives.

This is exactly what I love about this town, and was a big reason for why I chose to settle down here.

In a world driven by the "hey look at me... I'm important" crowd, Houston tends to go the opposite way, and I love that. It Probably doesn't hurt that the cities attitude fits my personality almost perfectly, so I guess I'm biased.

Ones of the things I wondered about Houston when I went east to start my college education was why it was so low on the radar of other americans. Then I looked at banking linkages: when these were mapped in the 1970s they showed that dallas dominated the texas oil industry, while houstons connections were national and offshore. Houston was less connected to Dallas and San Antonio than to England, Scotland or Saudi Arabia. So Dallas bidnessmen had big cowboy hats and strong Texas accents: they were speaking to rural texas, while Houstonians often have indistinquishable accents-doing international business, speaking to an international community in english, without an accent. No one has ever come up to me and said- you must be from houston.

Think of our media: Dan Rather, Jessica Savitch, little or no accents. It made me wonder if the need to speak english to non english speakers in the oil hegemony years shaped our dialect, which is barely distinguishable as southern and western.

There was also a time in which people in the northeast with thick accents would condemn texas accents, so texas in an international arena would avoid using their accents.

So I think that Houstonians are invisible because they have come to represent Americans and the english speaking world all over the planet. Africans, Asians, Arabs, Persians, and Europeans have told me that this is true. Unless we wear cowboy hats we are seen as generic english speaking world people, and if we wear cowboy hats they assume we are from dallas.

Not being able to describe Houston in one word or phrase is what is best about it. It is a futuristic modern city but deeply rooted in tradition and it's past. No other city in the US or even the world can claim such extremes. From NASA and the race for space to San Jacinto and the birth of Texas. From billion dollar oil and banking powerhouses to the taqueria on Harrisburg. From multimillion dollar mansions to turn of the century Victorian houses, Houston has it all. And it's people are just as diverse. A Houstonian can fit in at a White House black tie dinner and feel right at home at an Oktoberfest beer bust. It may be all this diversity that makes Houstonians a little more tolerant about the world around us. So let San Antonio have it's Alamo and Dallas it's oil companies and El Paso it's western heritage. We have all three and much more.

joe

• 2 months later...

Houston is like being in a third world country.

The roads and infrastructure are horrible.

Customer service is horrible almost everywhere you go.

English does not seem to be the predominate language.

The air is pretty unhealthy

Many areas of town smell of sewage

Yep, not much different than Mexico City...just fewer people.

Houston is like being in a third world country. The roads and infrastructure are horrible. Customer service is horrible almost everywhere you go. English does not seem to be the predominate language. The air is pretty unhealthy Many areas of town smell of sewage Yep, not much different than Mexico City...just fewer people.

Yeah, if you live in the Near Northside, I can see where you're coming from. But you decided to live there...if you don't like poor Mexicans, you can always move to The Woodlands.

But what is Houston to you????

When I was growing up in Houston in the 50s and 60s this was one hellaciously fun place to live and work. It hadn't yet contracted "urban sprawl disease", and the freeway traffic was even tolerable. You could get anywhere in 30 minutes or less, even during rush hour. I lived in Pasadena, but I had friends all over town and we were always going somewhere looking for something different.

My friends and I were just as likely to go to a honky tonk on Spencer Highway as the Athens Bar and Grill at the Port of Houston, an all night bowling alley in the Heights, free symphony concerts at Miller Theater in Hermann Park, Sonny Look's Steak House on South Main, or his night club in Market Square, a great Mexican eatery on the east end, or Rumpleheimer's Ice Cream Parlor in Westbury Square.

Remember when you could go to an Astros game in the Dome and sit in the unreserved outfield cheap seats for two bucks? You and several friends could go to a game and enjoy a brew and a hotdog without going into debt. Yes it was a simpler time but like I said, it all made Houston a fun town to live, back then.

It lost all those qualities a long time ago, for me. Houston has grown too big, too spread out, traffic has been a nightmare since the 70s and almost all the old fun places have closed or been replaced by franchises. Hermann Park still has free concerts but it's not the same. Houston's night life is now centered around the downtown area or the Galleria area, which is fine for people who live close-in.

I still live in the suburbs, where I can afford to live, and it takes me almost an hour and a half to get home in the evening. I would rather be in hell with my back broken than even consider driving back into town -- for anything. Houston has grown into an unliveable mess.

I once loved living here, but I haven't felt that way about it for a very long time. We stay here because Houston is now the only place where I can make a living doing what I do. When that's the only positive thing you can say about a city, it's time to leave, and that's what we're going to do. I'm planning to retire in about two years, and my wife and I can't wait to sell this house and move as far away from Houston as we can get and still be close to our kids. East Texas here we come.

Edited by FilioScotia

Houston has grown into an unliveable mess.

On the contrary, Houston (for me) is a very livable mess. It's precisely that chaotic quality I like. But, I understand how spending 3 or 4 hours a day in a car commuting would change someone's opinion.

On a related note if you haven't seen the HIWI book, it's great. At the W. Alabama Borders on Christmas Eve, the woman ringing me up said it was their single biggest seller of the past week, cool!

After living in the pristine,sterile suburbs I can honestly say Houston ROCKS! Yeah its a big, huge and mishmash of things, but in the end its comprised of lots of little hometown areas. There is pride here and people really work together in their areas to keep it nice. Not to mention you can find everything you need or want within a 1 mile radius of your home, great dining included. I would have to say its probably one of the most convenient cities to live in, if you don't have to use the freeways to commute. Living close to work is key.

In the end I would say Houston is Home.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, if you live in the Near Northside, I can see where you're coming from. But you decided to live there...if you don't like poor Mexicans, you can always move to The Woodlands.

I think you can see where I'm coming from regardless of where in town I live. Third world country sums up this place.

From what I can see, these Mexicans aren't so poor. Their trucks are bigger than my house. I don't mind them so much... better than the whitebread rednecks who think Houston is the best place on earth.

Edited by MiDTOWNeR

I think you can see where I'm coming from regardless of where in town I live. Third world country sums up this place.

From what I can see, these Mexicans aren't so poor. Their trucks are bigger than my house. I don't mind them so much... better than the whitebread rednecks who think Houston is the best place on earth.

Nah, I've been to a couple 3rd world countries. Houston pretty handily beats them. And if Mexicans' trucks are larger than your house...wow. I mean, if you have to live in the ghetto and in a house that is at most about 150 sq. ft., then how the hell can you afford an internet connection?

Really man, get a grip on things.

Nah, I've been to a couple 3rd world countries. Houston pretty handily beats them. And if Mexicans' trucks are larger than your house...wow. I mean, if you have to live in the ghetto and in a house that is at most about 150 sq. ft., then how the hell can you afford an internet connection?

Really man, get a grip on things.

Gosh, I know, I ever do I manage?

With a lot of hyperbole, seemingly. Either that or you're just an ornery tightwad. Probably the former.

Wow, the third world comment must have really struck a chord. I'm surprised you even bother responding to what I have written. Perhaps I am on to something with how bad Houston really is.

Wow, the third world comment must have really struck a chord. I'm surprised you even bother responding to what I have written. Perhaps I am on to something with how bad Houston really is.

Yep, it's so bad that a few of us actually have civic pride. Poor, pitiful Houston. :rolleyes:

Houston has its share of problems, but it's no Third World country. Definitely one of the greatest cities in the United States, no matter how understated. I know one of my biggest complaints when I first moved here was the weather. I got down here in August of 2005, and wanted to immediately turn back for home. But it grows on you, and now, I doubt that I could put up with cold weather and snow now. The climate here is pretty awesome actually.

I think something else to consider... if you don't like Houston, drive a few more blocks, or wait around a couple of months for the city to re-invent itself. It can cater to every imaginable style of human being... the backwoods redneck, hispanic immigrant, grill sportin urban boyz, city snob, River Oaks high-power heifa, literally anyone! And boy oh boy... just wait until we get more of the rail line implemented...........

It can cater to every imaginable style of human being... the backwoods redneck, hispanic immigrant, grill sportin urban boyz, city snob, River Oaks high-power heifa, literally anyone! And boy oh boy... just wait until we get more of the rail line implemented...........

Hey now, don't forget eccentric cheapskates. We like it here too.

• 1 month later...
Saying it's third world is just asinine and not even worthy of an argument.

The question of the thread was "What's YOUR Houston?"

And for me, third world country sums it up. Is it "literally" a third world country? Of course not. But the overall quality of life here is compromised enough that my colorful way of describing Houston is as a third world country. I don't have an axe to grind or an agenda like many on here. Just simply put the city is not as nice as it could be or as the locals seem to think it is. My criticism seems to be met with such resistance it's as if I am revealing some deep dark secret that those who have not been further than east texas have been shielded from. So those with knowledge of the outside world vehemently decry my "third world country" label. "OMG MiDTOWNeR" is at it again! QUICK get spin control on this. We can't have them figuring out MiDTOWNeR has got it figured out! They Might start demanding zoning, smoother roads, NO PARKING along Washington Ave from Studemont to Westcott, a decent system of paved walk/bike paths, and OH GOD light rail to the airports!"

There are several big crappy US cities-such as Detroit, Newark, Miami, New Orleans, and Houston. Just my opinion. Oh, and perhaps Philadelphia and Cleveland. Again, just my opinion.

Edited by MiDTOWNeR

ATTENTION!

RED ALERT - we must nip this in the bud RIGHT NOW! There is a person on the internet that is besmirching the good name of 'Houston'. Spin controllers prepare to activate. We must spread the word before all the new construction is halted and the last few hundred thousand new arrivals find out just how miserable they really are. We must keep up the illusion that Houston is not a third world country at least until there is NO PARKING along Washington Ave from Studemont to Westcott and new zoning laws are created and enforced.

We wouldn't cities like Cleveland, Detroit, Philly and Newark to know about the 'we're happy, not crappy' conspiracy and get the upper hand on us.

Edited by Mister X