Construction Visual Preservation

sladuncan

Since moving to Houston in 2004, I have been attracted to the appearance of boarded up houses, dilapidated gas stations, and empty lots still bearing early 1900s signage. These locations have served as visual memories and personal map points in my navigation of the Inner Loop. It has been with remorse that I have witnessed the demolition of many of these properties, which not only depict beauty, but also a history.

In more recent observation of the Inner Loop, I am drawn specifically to houses within Houston's eight recognized historic districts. Within my new process-oriented (photographic) body of work, I gather information regarding these houses whose history is evident and future is uncertain. My process includes attending meetings specific to each historic district, conducting interviews with those politically involved in and/or personally affected by this subject, and communicating via e-mail with members of other related organizations such as the Heritage Society, Houston's Historic District, and the Greater Houston Preservation Alliance.

I am posting here, because I figure this forum is a great place to start - I have attended Avondale Historic District meetings, and have an idea of how to approach this district. I am curious if anyone has an idea of properties that are assured of demoliton, or how to become involved in other historic districts. Any information would be greatly appreciated! You can contact me through this means, or through e-mail: sladuncan@gmail.com. Thanks!

Since moving to Houston in 2004, I have been attracted to the appearance of boarded up houses, dilapidated gas stations, and empty lots still bearing early 1900s signage. These locations have served as visual memories and personal map points in my navigation of the Inner Loop. It has been with remorse that I have witnessed the demolition of many of these properties, which not only depict beauty, but also a history.

In more recent observation of the Inner Loop, I am drawn specifically to houses within Houston's eight recognized historic districts. Within my new process-oriented (photographic) body of work, I gather information regarding these houses whose history is evident and future is uncertain. My process includes attending meetings specific to each historic district, conducting interviews with those politically involved in and/or personally affected by this subject, and communicating via e-mail with members of other related organizations such as the Heritage Society, Houston's Historic District, and the Greater Houston Preservation Alliance.

I am posting here, because I figure this forum is a great place to start - I have attended Avondale Historic District meetings, and have an idea of how to approach this district. I am curious if anyone has an idea of properties that are assured of demoliton, or how to become involved in other historic districts. Any information would be greatly appreciated! You can contact me through this means, or through e-mail: sladuncan@gmail.com. Thanks!

Great to have you with us, sladuncan, and please add some of your work to our gallery. You sound like a photographic priest(ess) giving last rites with your camera.

Have you been over to the East End? (some people still don't consider it "inner loop".... :)). I say that because it is a huge, historically unprotected area right now almost entirely composed of early to mid 20th century middle class homes, and redevelopment has gotten a solid foothold there, which all adds up to a formula for eventual mass destruction.

Great to have you with us, sladuncan, and please add some of your work to our gallery. You sound like a photographic priest(ess) giving last rites with your camera.

Have you been over to the East End? (some people still don't consider it "inner loop".... :) ). I say that because it is a huge, historically unprotected area right now almost entirely composed of early to mid 20th century middle class homes, and redevelopment has gotten a solid foothold there, which all adds up to a formula for eventual mass destruction.

Hi! Thanks for the welcome. I have been, I think - you mean Polk, UH, etc? Is it literally within the interloop? I just graduated from UH with my MFA in photo - this is the current project I am working on - what you just read was my proposal for a show (short form of it). Do you know of anything specifically that has a demo date?

There is a gem on Jensen Drive that's needs to be documented. The tree owns the house.

Not sure if it's scheduled for demolition, but it's only a matter of time. I'll try and get the address.

Also some very unique, if not that old, hand painted business signs. My favorits is "don't knock after dark".

There is a gem on Jensen Drive that's needs to be documented. The tree owns the house.

Not sure if it's scheduled for demolition, but it's only a matter of time. I'll try and get the address.

Also some very unique, if not that old, hand painted business signs. My favorits is "don't knock after dark".

Let me know and I will be there. I look forward to it!

welcome to the forum

i keep a close eye on demolition permits (there are so many each week) - i do what i can to document and post on my web site. it is great to have someone else interesting in the documentation as well.

there are several groups in Houston that could be helpful - those that you have mentioned above, and also Houston Arts and Media. They are working on a Houston Neighborhood Series project (and others) that you may find interesting, and they meet monthly

http://www.houstonartsandmedia.org/neighborhoods.htm

• 8 months later...

I am new to this group and saw the "Avondale" from a search---- I have also attended some of their meetings and was happy to learn they were successful in getting their second historical designation last october--i thought i might suggest driving around the neighborhood just to the north of avondale EAST MONTROSE CIVIC ASSOCIATION" EMCA"----- there are some architecturally lovely old homes that are boarded up and waiting for who knows what--they are so pensive looking i'm sure they would photograph well and convey a wonderful story all their own----

Edited by trymahjong

• 2 months later...

sladuncan,

I sure would love to give you a hand guided tour of some of the neatest homes and business's that are rotting away left to fend for themselves. We lose more and more as the clock turns. Some are in the oldest parts of town and that is a positive since the city is developing in other directions. Many still in original state ie, gingerbread detail, moldings, turned posts, finials bascially remnants of the Victorian & Guilded Age. Hope you are still interested.

• The title was changed to Construction Visual Preservation