How often do you watch local news?

memebag

How often do you watch the local news?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you watch the local news?

• Every day
    • Almost every day
    • Weekdays
    • Every once in a while
    • Rarely
    • Never

Never (even when I had a tv). When I want news I get a newspaper or go online.

The poll about the sets and music on local news shows piqued my curiosity about viewing habits among this group.

I only watch shows recorded by my DVR, so I never watch local or national news. (I don't watch commercials, either.) I don't read newspapers, either. When I see them on the stand, they are full of the same stories I read the day before on the internet.

local news? we still have local news? i havent watched any of them in eons. once in a while i will read the barnacle online to get the lowdown on local matters but almost never watch any of the local stations. i do listen to KTRH and KPRC though.

I also watch the news in the mornings as I prepare for school. Then if I'm home I'll watch the 4pm newscast. I always watch the 6pm and 10pm Newscasts. Of course I am a ABC 13 fan. Their morning Newscast are really good. It has more of a relaxed/fun feel to it than the other newscast. The other newscast are just news and serious, serious, but the mornings are great.

i have rss feeds of the local (and national, etc) news. one click and i can read all of the headlines that seem to be interchangeable day by day.

Me too, RSS feeds are awesome. I don't normally watch the news on TV unless I'm flipping through the channels and the news is on and they are reporting about something interesting.

i always flip channels in the mornings. it's unfortunate that the local media repeat the same stories on every channel. i'm worn out from the latest murder, sex offender, mold case, animal abuse stories. you'd think they could try something new.

i always flip channels in the mornings. it's unfortunate that the local media repeat the same stories on every channel. i'm worn out from the latest murder, sex offender, mold case, animal abuse stories. you'd think they could try something new.

Not to mention repeating the same stories every 30 minutes, and traffic and weather takes up half that, with commercials taking half of what's left.

• 8 months later...
I don't like television, I really don't like news, I like local news even less than that, and Houston's local news is the worst of them all.

Because it's really not news. It seems to be consumed with just crap.

My mother loves the news though. Wouldn't miss it.

LOL

FWIW, the average Houstonian watches television news (local, national, cable, whatever) 2-3 times a week. It's one of the reasons you see stories repeated from one news show to another -- because the producers know that the chances of someone tuning in for a particular 20-50 second span is very small. Then they get flamed on the internet for repeating stories by people who claim they never watch TV news. Or they get flamed for not covering local news by people who didn't bother to watch the news that day.

Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.

FWIW, the average Houstonian watches television news (local, national, cable, whatever) 2-3 times a week. It's one of the reasons you see stories repeated from one news show to another -- because the producers know that the chances of someone tuning in for a particular 20-50 second span is very small. Then they get flamed on the internet for repeating stories by people who claim they never watch TV news. Or they get flamed for not covering local news by people who didn't bother to watch the news that day.

Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.

I watch The Today Show (NBC) as a podcast and sometimes the CBS Evening News with Katie Couric as a video podcast.

No commercials! Yay.

• 2 weeks later...

i watch the news everyday, and every time slot. my whole family acctually doe sjust not as much as me, but for the most part we watch channel 13. but dave ward needs to hit the door and give that slot to tom koch. but yeah the morning newscast on 13 is really good, i like the jokes and stuff.did you see a couple of weeks ago with the popcorn and the cell phones. hilarious

I grew up watching the news three times a day. I watched it contribute mightily to my mother's fear and anxiety after my father passed away, what with all the sensationalism and crime reports, so I stopped watching it myself when I got older and got rid of my TV years ago. I get my news online now.

I grew up watching the news three times a day. I watched it contribute mightily to my mother's fear and anxiety after my father passed away, what with all the sensationalism and crime reports, so I stopped watching it myself when I got older and got rid of my TV years ago. I get my news online now.

I have an aunt who barely leaves the house because of her fear of crime. I mean, I know there is crime, but it is proportional in a lot of ways. But I think a lot of her fear is from 'the news'.

I get mine online too.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to watch nearly daily before I had an internet connection at home in the 90s.

These days I just watch the 9pm CW news a few times a week cause they tend not to sensationalize or dumb down the news as the other do. Well, KHOU is also pretty good but they lean too far pro-yuppie and seem to hate the status quo when it comes to Houston; watch them maybe 2 times a week.

KPRC and KTRK fear monger like crazy so fogetaboughtit with them.

Archived