Is this proper english?

CyKat

It seems to me that news reporters are stuck on that phrase, and for some reason it annoys the heck out of me. Now I'm no english scholar, but is it correct grammer?

Headline in today's Chron.

"Laptop goes missing with data on administaff workers"

CyKat

Edited by CyKat

One of my favorite sources to verify these things, William Safire of the New York Times, says that, while it is inelegant and unpopular with many people, its use is widespread and conveys a point that no other phrase can quite do.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...755C0A9629C8B63

It appears to be an idiom that is not leaving the lexicon anytime soon.

It seems to me that news reporters are stuck on that phrase, and for some reason it annoys the heck out of me. Now I'm no english scholar, but is it correct grammer?

Headline in today's Chron.

"Laptop goes missing with data on administaff workers"

CyKat

....as opposed toooooooooooooo ???

The writer uses "goes missing" because it has not been proven to have been stolen yet. It is an inanimate object, so it could not have walked away on it's own. The writer could have left out "goes", but it is assumed that it has been stolen, so it "goes" by the help of a second party.

Edited by TJones

The writer uses "goes missing" because it has not been proven to have been stolen yet. It is an inanimate object, so it could not have walked away on it's own. The writer could have left out "goes", but it is assumed that it has been stolen, so it "goes" by the help of a second party.

I know the laptop is missing. My question was, "is that proper grammer?"

It appears, according to the Safire article, that it may be "incorrect to correct it", so, unfortunately, it is an expression that's here to stay. No doubt that the reporters who use it consider themselves clever.

Thanks everyone, this is why I like this forum so much and I wont go missing for too long.

CyKat

Edited by CyKat

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, c'mon, you can do gooder than that!