Here Come the Taste Police

RedScare

Farmer's Branch, apparently fearing the pesky US Constitution may get in the way of their suburban ethnic cleansing, has come up with a new scheme to rid the town of Hispanics.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5204649.html

Perhaps I am not the most unbiased observer, given that I painted my own house yellow with blue and red trim, but come on. Wouldn't it be easier for them to just outlaw pink flamingos and be done with it?

From the article:

"I believe controlling the color you paint your house is basically profiling the Hispanic community," said Elizabeth Villafranca, whose family owns a Mexican restaurant in Farmers Branch. "We all know who paints their homes tropical colors."

Well golly, Ms Villafranca. Just because the trashy Hispanics you know have execrable taste and no regard for their neighbors doesn't mean all Hispanics fall into that category.

Perhaps if she were to expand her circle of acquaintances, she might find that the use of inappropriate colors and unattractive landscaping doesn't define any one ethnic or racial group. If this is an issue of personal liberties vs. what's good for the community, then let's debate these points on their merits.

I just had the thought how cool would it be to list some funny names for communities:

Stinko Ranch (Thanks gto)

Passing-Gas-Denna

Booger-Land

Spank-a-Dena (ok, so I have two offerings there)

The Rice Pillage

Bunk-Her-Hill

The Galla-Diahrea

DiaperChick_ShootMyBossThenMeee_Run-Over-My-Husband-5-Times-Accidentally-Now-Your-Dead (Sorry, my first thought on "Clear Lake" would offend my alternative lifestyle buddies)

West-Pooo

Minorial

Channel-Anal-View

Misery-City

Deer Fart

StabFord

Con-Death-Row

Woodie-Lands (as in "I'm get'n a woodie")

Tom's Balls

610: The Inner-Poop

Dickenson (I dont need to change that one at all)

Dweeb-City

BayQueef

Damn!! I 'bout burst a gut laughing comming up with these. I have WAY too much fun entertaining myself!

I just had the thought how cool would it be to list some funny names for communities:

Stinko Ranch (Thanks gto)

Passing-Gas-Denna

Booger-Land

Spank-a-Dena (ok, so I have two offerings there)

The Rice Pillage

Bunk-Her-Hill

The Galla-Diahrea

DiaperChick_ShootMyBossThenMeee_Run-Over-My-Husband-5-Times-Accidentally-Now-Your-Dead (Sorry, my first thought on "Clear Lake" would offend my alternative lifestyle buddies)

West-Pooo

Minorial

Channel-Anal-View

Misery-City

Deer Fart

StabFord

Con-Death-Row

Woodie-Lands (as in "I'm get'n a woodie")

Tom's Balls

610: The Inner-Poop

Dickenson (I dont need to change that one at all)

Dweeb-City

BayQueef

Damn!! I 'bout burst a gut laughing comming up with these. I have WAY too much fun entertaining myself!

You forgot

Gunspoint

Gaylaria

Asmadena

River Folks

• 3 weeks later...

These neighborhoods creating "image" (e.g. color) standards does not seem too bad - a neighborhood should be a cluster of homes with some kind of commonality. However, the idea of an entire city (government entity) dictating characteristics of "taste" for all of its citizens does concern me. The people who do not like "bright colors" should address the issue directly with their neighbors, or at the neighborhood level - not ask the city to enforce their taste

These neighborhoods creating "image" (e.g. color) standards does not seem too bad - a neighborhood should be a cluster of homes with some kind of commonality. However, the idea of an entire city (government entity) dictating characteristics of "taste" for all of its citizens does concern me. The people who do not like "bright colors" should address the issue directly with their neighbors, or at the neighborhood level - not ask the city to enforce their taste

The problem with that theory is that generally cities have the power to make and enforce laws - neighborhoods do not.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived