I don't think of La Carafe as a date bar. And it depends on the size of your group. I was there on Friday with 5 other people. We pulled a few extra chairs around a table up on the balcony and it wasn't a big deal. I think it's the type of place that appears to a lot of age groups. My mom liked it, and so did a bunch of medical interns/residents in their 20s.

if you're familiar with vietnamese food, i've had a blast taking out of town guests to van loc. also, there are some good views from the restaurants and bars at bayou place. if you should do something at bayou place, you can walk down by the bayou, by wortham center, and get a good look at the skyline.

also, artista in the hobby center has great decor and view. artista

la carafe seems to be liked by everyone i've taken there. i do not think of it as a meat market. however, if it's busy, you may have a difficult time sitting together if you have more than five or six people.

Where would you suggest taking clients in the Downtown and Mid-town area for drinks and for dinner? They will range in age from late 20s to mid 50s.

Avoid downtown by all means. Unless you want your company to see our in-your-face, homeless crew waiting in the wings. Museum district has an ambiance unmatched in this city. This city has some culture and upscale side to it, flaunt it. Museum district and St Thomas vicinity appeals to all. Maybe Galleria. Avoid Midtown where it connects to downtown/ie; Main street. :D

I might be weird but I think downtown places like La Cava and La Carafe have more character than most places in Houston. Every person I've brought to these places downtown has enjoyed them, and I haven't been approached by any homeless in the last few weeks (at least in the evenings).

For some reason, I like downtown. I wouldn't bring them to the Wheeler Station area of midtown though, or the East End. I think most people who are afraid of downtown haven't been downtown much lately.

That being said there are nice places in Montrose / Museum District too.

Edited by Jax

I might be weird but I think downtown places like La Cava and La Carafe have more character than most places in Houston. Every person I've brought to these places downtown has enjoyed them, and I haven't been approached by any homeless in the last few weeks (at least in the evenings).

on friday, a homeless person called 911 on the pay phone by charbar. 5 police cars responded while she was still on the phone with the 911 operator. i was eating dinner at mkt square b&g (ran into sevfiv btw) and went out to see what the commotion was. i knew several of the people who were smoking outside. seems after 30 mins or so, none of the police officers wanted to put her in the car cause she smelled of urine so they let her go. the homeless are definitely still around trying to "help" you park.

Yes, never direct anyone to east end, it's considered "Indian territory". They say life expectancy for most is at or about 18 years of age. I would send them to Gulfton area, our more refined and aristocracy of Houston are there.

you must live in a rough part. i've made it to 40 yrs of age. no exaggerating.

Edited by musicman

In your opinion, is the homeless situation bad enough that you would not take visitors to eat/drink/see downtown?

for me it would depend on who the visitors are. i tend to hang out at the mom 'n pop places anyway. my parents like mia bella during a weekend day.....but sure don't during the evenings. most of my friends would have no problem, but I have some that you have to hold their hands cause they are just not familiar OR only go out uptown (cause downtown isn't to their standards).

Edited by musicman

I guess my parents being from Atlanta and Toronto don't find downtown Houston scary because they are used to big city life. You can't drive to dinner in Toronto without having hordes of street "punks" trying to squeegee your windshield for change (but downtown Toronto is still the most popular part of the city). So the occasional homeless guy "watching your car" isn't that big of a deal to them. But yeah, I guess it depends on the person. My grandma probably wouldn't be as comfortable in downtown Houston as I am. But the average person who has lived in a big city before shouldn't mind.

Some people I know who visit Houston never get to see downtown, and when I take them downtown, you're right I sometimes have to "hold their hand", but usually they thank me for it and come again on their own.

In your opinion, is the homeless situation bad enough that you would not take visitors to eat/drink/see downtown?

If your visitors are like some of the whiners on this forum, perhaps not. If they enjoy spending time in any downtown in the country, they will not think twice of a few homeless people asking for spare change. Homelessness is not unique to downtown Houston. It is only unique to those sequestered in suburban master planned developments.

I agree that Reef is a great option, or you could do Vic and Anthony's. For cocktails, the lounge at the Magnolia Hotel has jazz (free on weekdays Mon-Thurs) and cover on weekends.

Might consider the more "casual" Cabo's since you can down the Margarita's.