The hidden Danger of 1'X1' Tile flooring

Guest Marty

I had three things happen in the last 2-3 years that destroyed lives.

#1 My Aunt slipped and went in a coma... Dead

#2 My Dad slipped and hit his head and had a stroke...Dead

#3 My 15 year old Iris setter slipped and busted his spleen several days ago...Dead

Edited by Marty

I would think that larger tile would be a bigger slip hazard than small tiles....all the grout lines and inherent bit of unevenness between tiles should make it more grippy.

I sure hope so. I just ordered a bunch of 1 inch hex tile for my bathroom remodel. To be on the safe side, I have instructed my dog not to run on the tile when wet.

Sorry to hear of your losses, Marty.

Yeah, its been a hard couple of years, but I will survive like I always do. BTW I am talking about 1 foot x 1 foot tile which is as dangerous as a garage floor.

Edited by Marty

Update; I just received a 4 month old Lab/Husky to keep my 8 month Newfoundland/??? company she was starting to miss the old dog.

The Lab/Husky is Onyx black and the Newfoundland mix is a caramel color.

I had three things happen in the last 2-3 years that destroyed lives.

#1 My Aunt slipped and went in a coma... Dead

#2 My Dad slipped and hit his head and had a stroke...Dead

#3 My 15 year old Iris setter slipped and busted his spleen several days ago...Dead

I am sorry to hear of the loss of your loved ones [irish setter included] by slipping on tiles. A family member had @ 200 sq ft left over from remodeling job. Contractor was to trash it. We stored them in garage [yes they're heavy!] for using on our kitchen floor. In a few months another family member was remodeling. I gave the tiles to them. I had noticed my feet hurt & ankles swelled when I stood on the tiles. I also experienced how slippery a few drops of liquid can make floor very slippery! Thankfully, my fall was not as traumatic as your loved ones experienced. I'm in the process of beginning to replace kitchen floor in my house. I will use vinyl tiles. Out of style.....yes, very, but hopefully no injuries. Also, we can install vinyl tiles ourselves as they are light weight. Thank you for your posting, it has confirmed I made the correct decision [giving tiles away & using vinyl]. Vinyl tile also easier to keep clean than the stone tiles which have grout & some have uneven surfaces.

OldHouseLover, I am thinking about removing the tile. But I rather lay down something with more grip, maybe throw down rugs. It would be a big time hassle to redo it, because the whole 1600sq+ foot house is 1X1 foot tile.

Edited by Marty

I am talking about 1 foot x 1 foot tile which is as dangerous as a garage floor.

I'm failing to understand what is so dangerous about 1 foot by 1 foot tile flooring. Is it the type of tile being used? I'd have to think its the material/finish and not the size that determines traction.

Edited by Jeebus

I'm failing to understand what is so dangerous about 1 foot by 1 foot tile flooring. Is it the type of tile being used? I'd half to think its the material/finish and not the size that determines traction.

The 1X1 ft tiles I'm talking @ are the ones made of stone, the kind being used in updates & new construction mostly in kitchens & baths. I don't remember their proper name. I'm using the old fashion vinyl type 1X1 ft in replacement. Much less expensive, but not fashionable. The vinyl can get slippery also, but after a while, they lose their glossiness & I don't use any type of polish after installation for my home. We're in 60s, so safety is a big big issue with us. The stone type tiles are hard on the feet, even with the best of walking shoes [atleast for us]. The best walking surface is old hardwood floors [now new ones] for me. New laminate hardwoods are slippery also & feet hurt after standing/walking for long periods of time. Part of the aging game. [P.S. The old asbestor floor tiles were the best ever! They did not crack or move. Once down, they stayed in place, guess it'was the glue compound used. Asbestos tiles were easy to clean. I had white & @ once a year, I'd put a bit of bleach in water to mop the floor....cleaned & looked like new! Yes, I know @ asbestos.]

Edited by OldHouseLover

The 1X1 ft tiles I'm talking @ are the ones made of stone, the kind being used in updates & new construction mostly in kitchens & baths. I don't remember their proper name. I'm using the old fashion vinyl type 1X1 ft in replacement. Much less expensive, but not fashionable. The vinyl can get slippery also, but after a while, they lose their glossiness & I don't use any type of polish after installation for my home. We're in 60s, so safety is a big big issue with us. The stone type tiles are hard on the feet, even with the best of walking shoes [atleast for us]. The best walking surface is old hardwood floors [now new ones] for me. New laminate hardwoods are slippery also & feet hurt after standing/walking for long periods of time. Part of the aging game. [P.S. The old asbestor floor tiles were the best ever! They did not crack or move. Once down, they stayed in place, guess it'was the glue compound used. Asbestos tiles were easy to clean. I had white & @ once a year, I'd put a bit of bleach in water to mop the floor....cleaned & looked like new! Yes, I know @ asbestos.]

My new kitchen floor will be vinyl for many of the same reasons you mentioned. I'll be looking at a commercial grade as the wear layer on most residential vinyl is very thin. In an old bungalow like mine, the floor has a certain amount of flexibility, and the use of stone or ceramic tiles would necessitate a plywood subfloor. This would raise the kitchen floor an inch or more above the floor of adjoining rooms, thereby creating a trip hazard.

My new kitchen floor will be vinyl for many of the same reasons you mentioned. I'll be looking at a commercial grade as the wear layer on most residential vinyl is very thin. In an old bungalow like mine, the floor has a certain amount of flexibility, and the use of stone or ceramic tiles would necessitate a plywood subfloor. This would raise the kitchen floor an inch or more above the floor of adjoining rooms, thereby creating a trip hazard.

I put Armstrong commercial grade on a rental & have been pleased with it. I know someone who put this in his business which gets quite a bit of foot traffic. It has withstood the abuse for @ 7 yrs. & looks like new. It was easy to lay & I was amazed how easy it was to cut using a box cutter & straight edge. In a couple of places I made template. With moldings it turned out great. Now to get the time to do my own house! It is always put on the back burner. I forgot to mention the price was right also!

Edited by OldHouseLover

I'm failing to understand what is so dangerous about 1 foot by 1 foot tile flooring. Is it the type of tile being used? I'd half to think its the material/finish and not the size that determines traction.

The finish is pretty smooth, but I think the smaller tile has more grip because of the connection of the tiles are closer together especialy when you have a big foot like mine, size 13

I am just saying that you may think about using a smaller tile when you remodel if you have seniors living at your house.

I think a lot of it depends on the surface of the tile as well. In college our showers had 1"x1" square ceramic tiles that had a glossy finish, and they were slippery as ice. I fell twice on that stuff, and just about everyone either fell at some point, or came close to it. Fortunately nobody ever had more than a bruise, but for an older person with more brittle bones, it could have been serious.

On the other hand, my parents have 10"x10" ceramic tile in much of their house, including the master bath. It has a slightly rough surface to it, and is not the least bit slippery, even when damp. But in general, the larger the tile, the more slippery it can be. Just keep in mind it's not just the size of the tile, but the finish, that matters.

• 4 weeks later...