Ghetto

fitzy24

I don't any objection to the word itself. I do, however, find it offensive when it is used as a euphemism to refer to Blacks and Latinos and to disparage them and their behavior. As I see it using this term as shortcut to index particular groups, behaviors, styles and ways of living is a way of avoiding describing exactly what one means. This may be fine for in-group use-- when everyone involved agrees on its meaning, but it likely to cause problems when used with outsiders who may take umbrage and offense at its use. Midtown Coog's post #15 (part of which appears below) provides an example of how someone using this word in mixed race groups produced howls of outrage is an example of the different perceptions of the word's meaning. So as with all words, whether one uses depends on context and the interlocutors. If people are communicating with in-group members or communicating with outsiders and trying to open up not close down a conversation.

My Mom was at a home owners meeting a few years back. She made the comment that certain streets were starting to look Ghetto (Southbelt Area).

The blacks in attendance started to hooping and a hollerin, like she has just called them the N-word or said "you people".

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is your mom white, black or hispanic? What did your mom do after that?

My Mom was at a home owners meeting a few years back. She made the comment that certain streets were starting to look Ghetto (Southbelt Area).

The blacks in attendance started to hooping and a hollerin, like she has just called them the N-word or said "you people".

Is your mom white, black or hispanic? What did your mom do after that?

My Mom was at a home owners meeting a few years back. She made the comment that certain streets were starting to look Ghetto (Southbelt Area). The blacks in attendance started to hooping and a hollerin, like she has just called them the N-word or said "you people".

The quote was from a post (#15) by Midtown Coog, who was reporting on an incident that happened to his mother. Although I can't be certain, I assume from what Coog wrote that her/his mother is White, which may partially explain why the Black people attending the meeting were insulting by the word, "ghetto." As for me, I am African American/Black and I would likely have the same response to the use of the term "ghetto," if it were used by whites in my presence. In fact, sometimes I have asked people who have used the term on this board to explain exactly what they mean by the word.

I realized now what Fitzy meant by it's used alot on this forum. You are right.

That was one of the 1st things I noticed too when I started on here. There are several other words/terms which I assumed was forum jargon but it seems one imbecile starts a word or phrase and it becomes folly from that point on. I will list some that apparently are fabricated through the imagination of well...

Mcmansion

ghettofab...

not sure if nabe qualifies? rarely hear anywhere else but here.

There are many more under Off topics/words you hate. Most are meant in jest and not intended to insult like the 1st 2. You would be surprised that some will state its "freedom of speech" :wacko: Its usually the one begging for attention. Childish

Heaven forbid any "whites" use a word in mixed company like "ghetto" But, this is the world we live in right. Where people get there feeling hurt everyday.

Of course you are right. It seems as if a great deal is made of people's "color". Why? Why so sensitive and must everyone be politically correct 24/7? I don't think anyone deliberately wants to offend anyone else based solely on color. Y'all need to lighten up.

My mom is white as they come (6th generation Texan). When you live in a neighborhood for 30 years, you are entitled to say it's "starting to look like the ghetto".It's not like she said "this hood is starting to get dark"!

The fact that "you people" {blacks, or whatever you want to be called} would get offended by the word "Ghetto" tells me a lot. Where is Al and Jesse! The biggest race baiters in the world!

Help, masta Al! Help me! I'z gonna sue somebody!

My mom is white as they come (6th generation Texan). When you live in a neighborhood for 30 years, you are entitled to say it's "starting to look like the ghetto".It's not like she said "this hood is starting to get dark"!

The fact that "you people" {blacks, or whatever you want to be called} would get offended by the word "Ghetto" tells me a lot. Where is Al and Jesse! The biggest race baiters in the world!

Help, masta Al! Help me! I'z gonna sue somebody!

Man ... when there is no threat of real face to face dialog, people really show their true colors.

I don't even use the word Ghetto. But to think it's a word that is off limits off to white devils and offends blacks is asinine.

Ghetto to me is where people park in the yards, the houses need paint and are in general disrepair, tennis shoes hang over the telephone lines, and grown men ride stolen girls' bikes to the corner store so they can hang out and do nuttin.

That's Ghetto. Not to be confused with excessive Bling-Bling.

Coog, if I ever accuse you of not having cajones, remind me of this day. :lol:

Do you mean that Coog has "drawers" cajones as in "pieces of furniture" or did you mean to say that Coog has cojones "balls"--meaning a fearless, unflinching attitude?

Do you mean that Coog has "drawers" cajones as in "pieces of furniture" or did you mean to say that Coog has cojones "balls"--meaning a fearless, unflinching attitude?

Forgive me, Spanish is not even my second language.

I have always heard cajones used to mean drawers of a cabinet too. I assumed it was a another of several Haif euphenisms, shop talk or jargon. Turn the page students. :P

Yes, let's all have a laugh at the expense of the dumb gringo....

Wait, that is the correct term, right? Again, apologies for my ghetto Spanish :P

Archived