Galveston Orphans Home At 1315 21st St.

I have notice that two mega mansions have stayed on the sales block for a very long time with no buyers in sights. The first is a very old very creeping looking mansion in Galveston over 100 years old with more than 15,000 sq ft and an asking price of $1.7mill. I first saw this for sale nearly 4 years ago!, the other a not completed super mansion in Rivercrest over 23,000 sq ft asking price $4.7 mill. Do any one have any

info or history on this two white elephants

Edit: Galveston Orphans Home At 1315 21st Street is now The Bryan Museum.

post-3833-1191282733.jpg

post-3833-1191282764.jpg

post-3833-1191282785.jpg

post-3833-1191282806.jpg

post-3833-1191282835.jpg

post-3833-1191282856.jpg

post-3833-1191282876.jpg

The first one, the one in Galveston, is the old Galveston orphanage which was built right after the 1900 hurricane. It's an incredible place. Way back in the late 80s or early 90s I toured it when it was on the Galveston Home Tour (I think I've mentioned this elsewhere on the forum).

The owners at the time lived in Maine in the summers and Galveston in the winters. They had kept a lot of the original features, like the bathrooms with multiple stalls and showers. The stairs were well worn down on the sides because the children had to keep in single file going up and down. The original library, at the front of the house, was still there, and the owners were using it as their dining room -- they kept the shelves all in place and their dining table was in the middle of the room.

I believe there was a pool in the basement, but that wasn't on the tour. Neither was the kitchen -- it was being renovated at the time.

http://www.har.com/4693848 (says it was renovated in 1988)

http://www.archiplanet.org/wiki/Galveston_Orphans_Home

that seems like a low price for the orphanage... i'd buy it if i had the money... i'd name it "The Sand Castle" and basically just have a lot of fun there. i wouldn't convert it to condos as advertised... at least not for a while.

so, what's the mega-millions jackpot?

• 3 months later...

I wish they wouldn't convert those old historic mansions into offices and condos. :( Especially the orphanage. I just checked out the link to it and realized that my grandmother and her brothers and sisters were put there when my great grandfather died and my great grandmother couldn't support all of them. That lottery idea is sounding really good right about now, LOL!

• The title was changed to Two Mega Mansions For Sale In Galveston
  • The title was changed to Galveston Orphans Home At 1315 21st St.

Archived