Houston Murder Rate Down 14.5%

RedScare

In the first 8.5 months of 2007, Houston's total number of murders has dropped markedly, from 290 in 2006 to 248 so far in 2007.

Houston Murders Down 14.5%

Other crime categories decreasing include rapes, down 36.2 percent, robberies, down 4.2 percent and aggravated assaults, down by 2.9 percent. Total violent crime is down 4.9% from January 1 through September 17, 2007.

Burglaries dropped 2.4% in 2006 from 2005. I am not positive, but I thought I had read somewhere recently that burglaries had gone up 1.9% in 2007, though if true, would still be lower than 2005.

EDIT: I was wrong on the burglary number. HPD reports burglaries are up 8.5% this year.

Burglary

Isn't it funny how people will hijack any thread to make Houston sound worse than Baghdad, but post just one article stating that crime actually went DOWN, and they run from it like a bad case of the clap. I haven't figured out if we're the biggest city of wimps, or maybe just suffer from the biggest collective case of fatalism since Jim Jones busted out the kool-aid at Jonestown.

I've been laughing at this radioactive thread for a day and a half. :lol:

A lot of crimes go unreported because the victims are illegals, so I take that report with a grain of salt, but it still not as bad as it was in the early 80's.

Isn't it funny how people will hijack any thread to make Houston sound worse than Baghdad, but post just one article stating that crime actually went DOWN, and they run from it like a bad case of the clap. I haven't figured out if we're the biggest city of wimps, or maybe just suffer from the biggest collective case of fatalism since Jim Jones busted out the kool-aid at Jonestown.

C'mon RedScare,

You know we only want to hear "Bad" News! We've been trained that way afterall.

flipper

;)

The lack of response terrifies me. Has anyone seen the doom and gloom posters? I hope they are allright. Maybe they were murdered in that crime spree last night that occured in sketchy neighborhoods like The Heights and Briargrove Park...

The lack of response terrifies me. Has anyone seen the doom and gloom posters? I hope they are allright. Maybe they were murdered in that crime spree last night that occured in sketchy neighborhoods like The Heights and Briargrove Park...

LOL It must be a little difficult being a doom and gloomer in Houston these days, what with the murder rate plummeting, downtown hotels not going out of business and new downtown hotels under development, Discovery Green spurring huge developments even before it's completed, Houston Pavilions under construction, BLVD Place about to break ground...

I knew it. As soon as I left Houston, crime went down, and alot of buildings are going up. I think i'm a curse.

:lol: Ha. That reminds me of how I felt when I moved to Houston in the mid-'80's. I moved from Cleveland and that area enjoyed a mini economic revival and Houston's economy went straight down the crapper. Glad I stuck it out in Houston though.

Sounds like a case of "don't nobody bring me no good news"

Archived