Some African-American Groups State That They Will Not Back HISD Bond Vote

VicMan

http://search.chron.com/chronicle/openDocu...p;selectedPath=

Some African-American groups state that they won't back HISD bond vote.

They also say that the proposed renovations for other campuses are inadequate.

I do not like the "We don't want schools closed" reasoning as I know that many schools in the Fifth Ward and Third Ward need to be closed.

HISD needs to state that it will close schools anyway and erect T-buildings if the bond is not passed AND there is evidence that anti-school closing influenced the vote.

There are legitimate reasons to oppose school bonds, but I cringe at the reasonings I see in this article.

Edited by VicMan

Pardon the thread hijack, but I really hate the term "African-American". The only instance I can see it being used without being idiotic is for a newly nationalized person from an African country. Even then, they are either Nigerian (or Liberian, Congolese, Sudanese, etc) or American.

The term is one of the most idiotic of the political correctness movement (which is idiotic to begin with).

*waits to be called a racist*

Edited by gwilson

it's just as vague as European Americans or Asian Americans (if the person is indeed European or Asian)

also - the news link above didn't work for me, but this one did:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metrop...an/5124501.html

what would be the average amount of money issued per school?

in the article, the man from Independence Heights complained about Booker T. Washington getting 3.7 million - for a "paint and a pressure wash" as he put it. he said he wanted a new school, i believe.

does anyone know the age of Booker T. Washington High School?

it's just as vague as European Americans or Asian Americans (if the person is indeed European or Asian)

also - the news link above didn't work for me, but this one did:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metrop...an/5124501.html

what would be the average amount of money issued per school?

in the article, the man from Independence Heights complained about Booker T. Washington getting 3.7 million - for a "paint and a pressure wash" as he put it. he said he wanted a new school, i believe.

does anyone know the age of Booker T. Washington High School?

The article stated that the campus is over 110 years old.

Pardon the thread hijack, but I really hate the term "African-American". The only instance I can see it being used without being idiotic is for a newly nationalized person from an African country. Even then, they are either Nigerian (or Liberian, Congolese, Sudanese, etc) or American.

The term is one of the most idiotic of the political correctness movement (which is idiotic to begin with).

*waits to be called a racist*

I hate the use of the term "Negro", because it out of date and considered offensive, but that doesn't keep people on this board from using it. Since they first arrived in what is now the US, Black people have been called many things: colored, Negroes, Black, and African American (although currently Black and African American are often used interchangeably). Many Blacks/ African Americans believe in the right to determine what to call themselves, and aren't likely to give up this right despite the objections of others who "really hate the term"

So there's a comment to write to the Houston Chronicle. Why did the editor not catch that? Making it look like it is 110 years old when it is really a building from the 1950s makes me wonder...

...cause they want people to back the bonds. so are you pulling your support for the bonds vic?. if the school was built in '59, is it too old for students to learn?

...cause they want people to back the bonds. so are you pulling your support for the bonds vic?. if the school was built in '59, is it too old for students to learn?

The article is stating that the community leaders are saying that the district is shortchanging them, and those people are citing Washington as the reason for why they believe the bond is inadequate. I would think that 3.7 is enough for Washington, and I would support the bond if it gives that amount.

The text says: "But Acres Homes residents said their schools are getting shortchanged. The more than 110-year-old Booker T. Washington High School campus, for instance, would receive only $3.7 million for renovations, making it difficult, they said, for the 930-student campus to compete with newer schools in the area."

In other words, the organizers want more money pumped into B. T. Washington.

Edited by VicMan

In other words, the organizers want more money pumped into B. T. Washington.

similar to the gregory lincoln thread you started. i think you said they needed a new building because it was dingy on the outside. the school district should at least provide justification for its actions. hopefully that will help provide some solace

are the bonds inadequate or is the money being not being used appropriately?

Edited by musicman

I hate the use of the term "Negro", because it out of date and considered offensive, but that doesn't keep people on this board from using it. Since they first arrived in what is now the US, Black people have been called many things: colored, Negroes, Black, and African American (although currently Black and African American are often used interchangeably). Many Blacks/ African Americans believe in the right to determine what to call themselves, and aren't likely to give up this right despite the objections of others who "really hate the term"

I hate it because it is inaccurate. When referring to "Caucasians" it isn't politically incorrect to call them white. They might be of African descent, but they are not currently African. If black is considered derogatory (which is absurd), at least come up with something more appropriate and fitting.

Also, African-American is most likely something that an apologist white person came up with during the whole political correctness inception (as far as being blanketly applied to all blacks).

Back on topic:

As far as the bond referendum, Sylvester Turner made a comment that I actually went along with. "Why give them more money for more projects when they haven't finished the work on the past projects that we've given them money for." (paraphrased) I don't disagree with that in theory.

My mom used to teach at BT Washington, and it was in disrepair then. As far as I'm concerned, so long as the facilities work (AC/heat, bathrooms, lights, etc), the money should be spent on LEARNING, not making the school LOOK pretty. If something is broken, fix it, if it just looks old, slap a can of paint on it and spend the rest on LEARNING.

Edited by gwilson

similar to the gregory lincoln thread you started. i think you said they needed a new building because it was dingy on the outside. the school district should at least provide justification for its actions. hopefully that will help provide some solace

are the bonds inadequate or is the money being not being used appropriately?

The supporters cite the figure ($3.7 million), so they are saying that the bonds are not adequate for the school. They are not citing corruption (as in they are not saying that X officials are spending money on themselves).

Musicman, do you want justification explaining why the district wishes to spend 3.7 million dollars on the school?

The people cited in the article who are concerned about the bond want MORE money (as in more than 3.7 million dollars) spent on the school.

i think you said they needed a new building because it was dingy on the outside.

I said I suspected that they needed a new building, but I said that I do not know for sure because I never entered the building and never got an extensive look at the facilities.

Edited by VicMan

The supporters cite the figure ($3.7 million), so they are saying that the bonds are not adequate for the school. They are not citing corruption (as in they are not saying that X officials are spending money on themselves).

they aren't talkin priscilla slade type corruption here. do you think they are tacitly trying to elevate it by making it a black issue?

Musicman, do you want justification explaining why the district wishes to spend 3.7 million dollars on the school?

The people cited in the article who are concerned about the bond want MORE money (as in more than 3.7 million dollars) spent on the school.

the school district needs to provide justification for everything they do. i do like sylvester turner's comment. he stated that they are still waiting for results from the last bond election.

The schools that are being closed are located in African-American (or historically African-American) communities, and the article is mentioning that political figures from those communities are crying foul. I suspect that the paper may be trying to elevate the issue by including race.

I agree that the school district needs to explain its actions and have all of the money from the previous bond spent or set to be spent BEFORE attempting another bond. Almost all of the schools stated to be built or renovated from the last bond were. The only projects I can think of that did not happen included the HSPVA rebuilding and the proposed Sharpstown K-8.

they aren't talkin priscilla slade type corruption here. do you think they are tacitly trying to elevate it by making it a black issue?

the school district needs to provide justification for everything they do. i do like sylvester turner's comment. he stated that they are still waiting for results from the last bond election.

As for some other quotes:

"Other residents said they're worried about the slated closure of Osborne Elementary."

Osborne should stay open since the north side can take people leaving areas hit by gentrification. Osborne's population decreased recently (See: http://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/schools/...547/school.aspx ), but look at its location in the northside (See: http://dept.houstonisd.org/ab/schoolbounda...shingtonHS.pdf)

" "Now, you don't have the Fourth Ward. You have Midtown," said Rep. Sylvester Turner, D-Houston. " - Midtown and Fourth Ward are still separate communities, although Midtown was formed from areas once thought to be the Fourth Ward and areas thought to be the Third Ward. This quote makes me wonder if much of the efforts are anti-gentrification. While it is true that "It's not about just looking at some numbers on a piece of paper. It's about looking at the impact on the community." - we also have to take into account the fact that neighborhoods change.

Edited by VicMan

It's about looking at the impact on the community." - we also have to take into account the fact that neighborhoods change.

well...unfortunately it is more than on the community level...they are changing all over houston and the money has to go where it is most needed. hisd wants to build a new elementary school by my parents because the old one is overcrowded. i still chuckle because when i was in school, i remember in 2nd grade we had 42 students at one point. stop by telwink sometime, you'll see the school board pres eating breakfast! i know he hears it from my dad! LOL

well...unfortunately it is more than on the community level...they are changing all over houston and the money has to go where it is most needed. hisd wants to build a new elementary school by my parents because the old one is overcrowded. i still chuckle because when i was in school, i remember in 2nd grade we had 42 students at one point. stop by telwink sometime, you'll see the school board pres eating breakfast! i know he hears it from my dad! LOL

When I'm back in Houston, I should go there :)

As of 2007, Texas has laws requiring mandatory class sizes in elementary school. This may be why HISD is more willing to build new elementary schools than secondary schools. The laws are mentioned in this TEA document: http://www.tea.state.tx.us/research/pdfs/prr12.pdf

Live aint fair sometimes. I prefer to describe myself as "stunningly attractive". The fact that you may find it inaccurate does not change my right to describe myself that way. In fact, I think that will be my new sig.

But you ARE stunningly attractive.

Yes, they have the right, but I also have the right to be annoyed by it.

Westbury has had three renovations in 15 years with the final one being an entirely new campus......they have a legitimate point....Booker T. looks the same way still...

Look at Westside, Chavez, etc....those kids have palaces to attend everyday while the schools who helped put HISD on the map get nothing in return. They did renovate Wheatley though...

Look at Westside, Chavez, etc....those kids have palaces to attend everyday while the schools who helped put HISD on the map get nothing in return. They did renovate Wheatley though...

if the older schools like milby are in good shape, why spend money? you don't spend limited tax funds just because it looks older than another school. of course, all schools should be maintained.

Also, African-American is most likely something that an apologist white person came up with during the whole political correctness inception (as far as being blanketly applied to all blacks).

Back on topic:

In the early 19th century, Blacks/African Americans referred to themselves as African. This practice can be seen in the name of the denomination African Methodist Episcopal Church, usually called the "AME Church", a Christian denomination founded by Bishop Richard Allen in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1816, and in The African Meeting House built in 1806 and currently the oldest black church edifice still standing in the United States. Thomas Paul, a Black/ African American preacher from New Hampshire, led worship meetings for blacks at Boston's Faneuil Hall. Paul, with twenty of his members, officially formed the First African Baptist Church in 1805.

In the early 19th century, Blacks/African Americans referred to themselves as African. This practice can be seen in the name of the denomination African Methodist Episcopal Church, usually called the "AME Church", a Christian denomination founded by Bishop Richard Allen in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1816, and in The African Meeting House built in 1806 and currently the oldest black church edifice still standing in the United States. Thomas Paul, a Black/ African American preacher from New Hampshire, led worship meetings for blacks at Boston's Faneuil Hall. Paul, with twenty of his members, officially formed the First African Baptist Church in 1805.

At that point they were most likely actually Africans or at most one to two generations removed. At this point they are no more African than I am European.

I wonder if we weren't forced to come to Amercia...would we have come at all?

The old HISD schools outside of Lamar and Bellaire need alot of help.....Drive by Austin High...lol...yuck...

I would think so, just look at the state Africa is in. politician's assassinating one another, civil wars and this has been going on in Africa forever like the middle east. ect...

Edited by Marty

True. We are all Americans...albeit some of us have an obvious African ancestry.
There are very few PURELY African descendant multi-generational Americans in this country. Most are mixed with something. So wouldn't they be African-European-American or African-Indio-American or African-Arabian-American?The point is that it is not only trite, but divisive. Let's quit segregating ourselves by breaking every segment of society down in to a group.
I wonder if we weren't forced to come to Amercia...would we have come at all?The old HISD schools outside of Lamar and Bellaire need alot of help.....Drive by Austin High...lol...yuck...
My guess is yes. There is a MASSIVE population of African immigrants in the States and Houston has a large population itself.It is such a beautiful place, but it is sadly, hell on Earth as well. I have a group of friends who recently came here from Nigeria. They came in rather rapid succession. There were more that wanted to come, but simply couldn't afford it. Chido said to me not long ago after we discussed their group immigration; "People who can afford to, leave. Many come to America, others to western Europe".

There are very few PURELY African descendant multi-generational Americans in this country. Most are mixed with something. So wouldn't they be African-European-American or African-Indio-American or African-Arabian-American?The point is that it is not only trite, but divisive. Let's quit segregating ourselves by breaking every segment of society down in to a group.My guess is yes.

I agree 150%!