Planning An Estate Sale

PapillionWyngs

Had several people come look at what basically will be the reamains of my husband's single life, and the 10 years of my previous marriage. They charged us to cull "trash from treasure" and want to reserve to right to auction anything they don't sell. I smell a rat - even though we get 50% of the auction profits.

Anybody who can help me?

PW

50% seems like a lot, but I was under the impression an Estate Sale was only for property to be sold from the estate of a deceased person. You might want to check with local regulations on that. I don't know whether there is a law or just a matter of ethics. Estate Sales are very specific things and should not be confused with a typical Saturday "Garage Sale".

Why not post your things on Craigslist or find a great seller on eBay to find your belongings a new home?

I second Parrot's suggestion of using craigslist.org

We've used it for buying and selling, and it has a HUGE audience, plus it's free.

If you have a digital camera, you can take some photos of the items. Listing is super simple and just wait for people to contact you.

You won't have to do any heavy lifting, the buyers can do that. Just be sure to mention in your ad that you won't be able to help with any lifting or moving of items.

Mention also that it's a moving sale and people will know you're a motivated seller.

What's your biggest concern? Not doing it yourself or not getting ripped off?

Can't have it both ways 'cause nobody will do as good a job at getting top dollar for your stuff as YOU will.

The professional estate salers have other people's stuff to worry about selling as well....they're going to just get your stuff SOLD without too much regard to how much $$ they're pulling in and move on to the next house full of crap.

Edited by jm1fd

You will probably get just as much by hiring those carnival barkers as you would have selling it yourself in a garage sale.

That's kinda what I think. My asthma and Hashimoto's thyroiditis just won't let me do a lot - especially if it has to do with dust and heat. I was over there today, and just about wiped myself out, trying to find all of my Christmas decorations in the garage.

I too have Hashimoto's. Shoot, when I was initially diagnosed 5 years ago, my TSH was in the 100's. My endo has only gotten it to normal this year. I can TOTALLY relate to being exhausted, esp. if your meds are even a teensy bit off. I hope that you can get some help and get your stuff sold. I am sorry that you are going through this with your family.

• The title was changed to Planning An Estate Sale