Looscan Neighborhood Library At 2510 Willowick Rd.

Very pretty library, it just makes you want to wander around and check out the books. I love libraries and this is a very pretty one.

It is very different from the last new HPL building, the Stella Link Neighborhood Library which opened two years ago. That one is very contemporary, very colorful, glass and steel. It is also one of the top two most popular branch libraries in the city. It will be interesting to see how Looscan stacks up when the performance numbers start rolling in.

• Like 1

I read an interesting article recently about the changes being made in new libraries.

They're starting to be designed more like a combination of Starbucks and Borders in order to draw in more people.

One of them, I think in the Northwest, actually (*gasp!*) dropped the Dewey Decimal system and has organized its books the way bookstores do -- by topic.

I love the library. My wife hates the library. She'd rather pay for a book at the bookstore than go through the hassle/wait of trying to find it at the library.

• Like 1

while there will still be the "old-fashioned" past time of going to the library and checking out books, things are definitely changing.

in academic libraries, print subscriptions to journals are becoming less and less common, but the licensing for digital versions are sometimes unduly restrictive. a major role of libraries is becoming managers (and interpreters) of electronic licenses.

as far as libraries dropping the Dewey - that seems strange. i wonder how they integrate shelving into their cataloging.

• Like 1

I read an interesting article recently about the changes being made in new libraries.

They're starting to be designed more like a combination of Starbucks and Borders in order to draw in more people.

One of them, I think in the Northwest, actually (*gasp!*) dropped the Dewey Decimal system and has organized its books the way bookstores do -- by topic.

I love the library. My wife hates the library. She'd rather pay for a book at the bookstore than go through the hassle/wait of trying to find it at the library.

It is interesting that your wife thinks that it's a hassle. She can search the catalogue of the entire HPL system from the comfort of her home computer 24/7 and have any book, CD, DVD, book on CD, etc. delivered to any one of 36 locations around town within 48 hours, typically. The item will be waiting with her name on it on the HOLD shelf. In many libraries, she can walk in, grab the book off the shelf, check it out herself using a Self-Check machine just like at the grocery store and be out the door. This might take five minutes. If the book isn't ready immediately, say you want Harry Potter on Day One and all 300 copies are reserved, you'll be sent an email telling you when it is waiting for you on the HOLD shelf at the library of your choosing. She can renew the book up to two times for a total of six weeks of check out time, all online, without risking a late fine. She can track and store books that she browses online, track books she's read, blah, blah, blah. I could go on, but I guess you get the picture.

Regarding the retail model, libraries have simply stolen the customer service page back from the retailers, or at least they are trying to by offering amenties that people have come to expect. Comfy chairs, a cuppa coffee, wi-fi, and later hours are all parts of the equation. It is notable that while the city's wi-fi initiative is on hold, HPL completed adding free wi-fi service to every library last year.

• Like 1

Wow, this is very nice looking! Where is it located?

HPL seems to be doing very well with their new facilities. This is a great addition to the system, as was the branch on Stella Link a few years ago. And I really like the old church conversion on Montrose. I look forward to the completion of the central library renovations downtown.

• Like 1

Wow, this is very nice looking! Where is it located?

HPL seems to be doing very well with their new facilities. This is a great addition to the system, as was the branch on Stella Link a few years ago. And I really like the old church conversion on Montrose. I look forward to the completion of the central library renovations downtown.

http://www.houstonlibrary.org/branches/loo_home.html

HPL Looscan Neighborhood Library

Phone

832-393-1900

Hours

M 10-8; T 10-6; W 10-6; Th 12-8; F 12-6; Sa 10-6

Address

2510 Willowick

Houston, Texas 77027

(Key Map #492S)

Directions

From the corner of 59 and Weslayan go north on Weslayan. The library will be on the left just past Westheimer.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

1381684343_0e20e99631.jpg?v=0

New Library in River Oaks is LEED Silver. Dave at neoHOUSTON went on a tour and posted a recap. Here are some of the vital stats, the full write-up is at: http://www.neohouston.com/2009/04/looscan-...eed-tour-recap/ if you're interested.

Building Info

Pretty cool project overall, though they were really close to Gold, and I'm not sure why they didn't go for it...

It's a great facility but that place is ALWAYS crowded and seems to have been built a little too small.

I've wondered if the LEED process had anything to do with the relative size of the building versus the parking lot. They could have built up a little bit higher and saved some of the footprint for a few extra parking places.

It's a great facility but that place is ALWAYS crowded and seems to have been built a little too small.

I've wondered if the LEED process had anything to do with the relative size of the building versus the parking lot. They could have built up a little bit higher and saved some of the footprint for a few extra parking places.

So, do you think the building is too small, or the parking lot is too small? Just curious.

LOL, I see how that's confusing. I guess the answer is both? Maybe they could have built a larger second floor (or a third floor) on a smaller footprint and added a few more parking spaces?

I recognize that there were a lot of constraints - money, lot size - and that they did a very good job with what they had. Just making an observation.

• The title was changed to Looscan Neighborhood Library At 2510 Willowick Rd.