Sunnyland House

I came across this forum researching the sunnyland neighborhood just off lawndale. I am considering buying a small house there. I love the look of the houses and the neighborhood seemed fine during the day but I read some posts that scared me a bit. I've been living in a transitional part of the heights and crime is crazy over there at the moment... Any thoughts on how it compares? I can deal with the heights as I'm familiar with it and all my friends are there. I don't know anyone on the east end but I like the little house. It seems like a good deal but maybe there is a reason the asking price is so affordable. The house is on a street called Truett just off Sunnyland across from that convent. Anyone?

I came across this forum researching the sunnyland neighborhood just off lawndale. I am considering buying a small house there. I love the look of the houses and the neighborhood seemed fine during the day but I read some posts that scared me a bit. I've been living in a transitional part of the heights and crime is crazy over there at the moment... Any thoughts on how it compares? I can deal with the heights as I'm familiar with it and all my friends are there. I don't know anyone on the east end but I like the little house. It seems like a good deal but maybe there is a reason the asking price is so affordable. The house is on a street called Truett just off Sunnyland across from that convent. Anyone?

east side is still transitional for most. there are many good deals still you just have to know where to look. many people expect river oaks type retail and you just have to realize that it won't be happening short term. i never expected myself to buy in the east end and i will have owned my home for 6 yrs this december. location is GREAT for me.

just like any hood, you can have bad neighbors. since you're used to inner loop type petty crime, i think you'll be fine. some parts of town the criminals are becoming more bold but we've seemed to miss the trend.

Location, location, location...

Buy it now. Just think of the property value. I know which ones your speaking of. There is better security at the convent than ever before now. The lighting has been improved big time on that side. With some people :blush: constantly calling HPD and encouraging others to do so has helped tremendously.

This area is heaven by comparison to other parts of town, trust me on that one. The only foreseeable prob is the non existance of restrictions. If you are diligent and dont mind sending emails, writing letters or calling movers & shakers, you can live comfortably and inexpensively. As long as we get buyers and weed out renters this area will make a comeback. Its the quick-passing-renters that battered the area over the last 35 years but with some ranting and raving they will get the boot.

There are also numerous "empty" lots just saying "build on me, please" throughout the area. Why people havent grabbed this is unreal?

Tell friends, family and coworkers to come. As I have stated numerous times I will get the barbecue started.

Location, location, location I cannot stress that enough!

Know of any vacant corner lots for sale over there?

There are at least 2. If you go to Eskridge one block west from Sunnyland (cant think of street name is Hatwell?) go south toward Gulf Frwy. There is one on corner Harriett? and Hatwell. Someone has been mowing the yard lately. You can tell there may have been a house there decades ago.

I am fortunate that the house I found has fantastic view of the convent and DT skyline. From my converted 3rd floor loft its even better. Houstonians and developers are missing out big time. The sound of the bells and music they (convent) play give the ambiance of another country like France or Italy, serious. The world on a 2nd and 3rd floor is totally different from below on ground level. I am considering building one of those outdoor decks on my 3rd floor to get even better views.

In fall the leaves go away and view are more clear of DT and all.

I personally would build anything but a one story. Its like living in a townhome or condo in midtown MINUS the expensive living and costs. I get to and from everywhere just as they do. We want professionals to start fillling in the big gaps around here.

Once again, location, location, location! :P

I have some of family in this area, in particular in the neighborhood you've mentioned. The homes are beautiful and quaint, and to be perfectly honest, I've never felt like it was a bad area (except maybe when I was a kid living in the burbs). Keep in mind that Eastwood, Idylwood, Forest Park/Lawn and Country Club Place are all close by too, so it may be only natural that the progress extend into Sunnyland. I've had to drive from there really at night a few times, and I've noticed how quiet the streets are, especially compared to the constant traffic in my area (SW Houston) at all hours of day and night. The neighborhood itself is a work in progress, but the many of the residents have lived there forever, and all tend to know each other and watch out for each others' homes. It is truly a wonderful neighborhood. Best of luck in your house-hunt.

Truly, I think the scaredy-cat posts are from folks who never venture off 45 driving through there. I often get the same reaction from friends when I tell them that I'm going over to that area. I work in a transitional part of the Heights, and I'd rather be in Southeast Houston any day.

I am fortunate that the house I found has fantastic view of the convent and DT skyline. From my converted 3rd floor loft its even better. Houstonians and developers are missing out big time. The sound of the bells and music they (convent) play give the ambiance of another country like France or Italy, serious. The world on a 2nd and 3rd floor is totally different from below on ground level. I am considering building one of those outdoor decks on my 3rd floor to get even better views.

I bet the views are incredible.

r-27.jpg

Truly, I think the scaredy-cat posts are from folks who never venture off 45 driving through there. I often get the same reaction from friends when I tell them that I'm going over to that area. I work in a transitional part of the Heights, and I'd rather be in Southeast Houston any day.

I live in a similar, nearby area and I think the general ugliness and disorder scare other people from other parts of town from buying there, and so the prices stay low since the pool of potential buyers stays limited to the lower income people that already live there. The housing stock has not made any magazine covers (yet) either so it takes someone willing to break from the herd to be a pioneer over here. Schools also are a deal killer for a lot of couples.

But if the plunge is taken you'll discover, as some of us had, that it's a benign, underrated area and living cheaply inside the loop in a historic house makes you feel glad that you took the chance, and that many others are missing out.

I also like the low taxes that go along with living in the area in its current state, but I'd pay more to be able to see these nabes revitalized a bit.

I have some relatives who have lived in Sunnylan(d) since the 1940s. I've never heard of them having any problems with crime. I've also driven that area at night, and it didn't feel unsafe to me.

As long as the real estate prices continue to put pressure on those looking to live inside the loop, I think the area will continue to turn around. The current gentrification in neighborhoods like Eastwood and Idylwood is also spurring revitalization in the area.

There is some great progress.

HPD has become way more visible in this area. They seem to be on almost every corner now. Apparently the convent has become more vigilant and is working with residents to clear out the criminal element. At least I hope they are helping us. There is some surveillance being done in the vicinity to stomp out the local riff-raff. I have noticed a big difference already. Less racing, loud thunderous rap music, loser's roaming the streets, and most importantly gunfire into the convent. (There are retired people living in those little cottages back there you now) and the bullets go over to Wayside traffic and Idylewood area.

There is a glimmer of hope. :P

• The title was changed to Sunnyland House

Archived