• iPod Touch
    • iPod Nano
    • iPod Classic
    • iPod Shuffle

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK, so I know you dont like FM transmitters, and I dont blame you. Most of them use the analog audio out (the earphone jack). Hence the problem with quality.

Monster makes an iPod FM transmitter and cigarette charger combination thing that actually plugs into the iPod digital connection. It then converts the digital signal (lossless) into analog and transmits that. I have found the quality to be a magnitude of order better than any other analog to analog FM transmitter.

It also charges the iPod while its in use, so no seperate cable.

Its pretty slick. I would give it a try if I were you.

I just got a Belkin charger and FM transmitter at Fry's for about $50 (normally $60) and it has another $10 rebate. It does not work perfectly and has way more static than I would like, but every now and then I get out of the city and have pretty clear reception.

Don't futz around with FM transmitters and new head units. Just buy a Scion xB. iPod support comes standard. I just traded a 1996 Miata for a 60GB 4th gen iPod (working my way down to a red paper clip) and the xB makes a great accessory. It keeps the iPod charged, lets you change tracks and volume without removing your hands from the steering wheel, has a digital audio connection, comes with 6 decent speakers, and you can drive places in it.

Don't futz around with FM transmitters and new head units. Just buy a Scion xB. iPod support comes standard. I just traded a 1996 Miata for a 60GB 4th gen iPod (working my way down to a red paper clip) and the xB makes a great accessory. It keeps the iPod charged, lets you change tracks and volume without removing your hands from the steering wheel, has a digital audio connection, comes with 6 decent speakers, and you can drive places in it.

Meme, you drive an xB? Cool. I love mine.

• 4 months later...

It's getting close to fall, and that means that it is time for new iPods before the shopping season.

It seems Apple is now having a summer iPhone keynotes, a fall iPod keynotes, and winter Mac keynotes.

What to expect . . . per Mac Rumors.

New iPods

New iTunes subscription plan.

Likely a mild refresh iPod touch at the $199 level, a new colorful iPod nano, with the old form factor, but a wide screen, (maybe even touch capabilities), and a bump in HDD for the shuffle and classic (if the classic is still around).

Long story short, if you don't want buyers remorse between now and mid to late September, hold off on buying, or maybe wait until at least the second week of September to take advantage of the 14 days return policy.

I've grown mostly tired of the Apple rumors scene. It used to be fun when it was Think Secret and MacRumors and a couple of other web sites that only published information from credible, trusted sources.

Now there are probably a hundred of these so-called rumor sites in a dozen countries that publish blatant speculation, fantasy mock-ups, and each other's rumors ad nauseam just to get a few clicks.

Like most of the blogosphere, it's no longer worth the effort of wading through the crap to get to the few nuggets of actual information.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Apple has threatened to shut down the iTunes music store if an obscure three-person board appointed by the Librarian of Congress increase the royalties paid to publishers and songwriters by six cents per song.

The Copyright Royalty Board is scheduled to hand down its decision on these rates by Thursday. As part of their general muscle-flexing of late, music publishers asked the board to increase the royalties paid to publishers and songwriters for the sale of digital downloads from 9 cents to 15 cents per song.

Apple -- which has mightily resisted tampering in any way with its 99 cent price point for tracks -- said that if the rate hike goes through and the labels refuse to absorb the entire resulting increase, the iTunes music store will become unprofitable.

And, Apple says, it likes making money.

http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/10/thursdays-copyr.html

Apple has threatened to shut down the iTunes music store if an obscure three-person board appointed by the Librarian of Congress increase the royalties paid to publishers and songwriters by six cents per song.

The Copyright Royalty Board is scheduled to hand down its decision on these rates by Thursday. As part of their general muscle-flexing of late, music publishers asked the board to increase the royalties paid to publishers and songwriters for the sale of digital downloads from 9 cents to 15 cents per song.

Apple -- which has mightily resisted tampering in any way with its 99 cent price point for tracks -- said that if the rate hike goes through and the labels refuse to absorb the entire resulting increase, the iTunes music store will become unprofitable.

And, Apple says, it likes making money.

http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/10/thursdays-copyr.html

Empty threats, almost like a Walmart tactic. It's a cash cow for them. They sell their iPods and make a one time profit, whereas the iTunes store is a constant flow of income. If they raise the price from 0.99 cents to $1.10 or $1.25, Apple fanboys will still support it.

Inflation has to kick in at some point.

If dollar stores can't make it, why should digital distribution be different. Just because it does not have overhead costs of a brick and mortar store, they should be able to trend with inflation.

Empty threats, almost like a Walmart tactic. It's a cash cow for them. They sell their iPods and make a one time profit, whereas the iTunes store is a constant flow of income. If they raise the price from 0.99 cents to $1.10 or $1.25, Apple fanboys will still support it.

Inflation has to kick in at some point.

If dollar stores can't make it, why should digital distribution be different. Just because it does not have overhead costs of a brick and mortar store, they should be able to trend with inflation.

While you are correct that it is an empty thread, you are incorrect in thinking that it's a cash cow for Apple. Apple makes something like three cents from each download. The majority of the 99 cents goes straight to the record companies.

From Time magazine:

For every 99

While you are correct that it is an empty thread, you are incorrect in thinking that it's a cash cow for Apple. Apple makes something like three cents from each download. The majority of the 99 cents goes straight to the record companies.

Interesting speculation on the numbers behind iTunes: http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipod-itunes/news...ype=allchandate

For a long time it was believed that Apple was barely breaking even, largely due to credit card transaction fees. That article says they've probably fixed that and may be making as much as 10 cents per song.

I've been using Amazon.com downloads a lot lately.

I've used Amazon a couple of times, but I find it much harder to locate what I'm looking for than iTunes. I never got a chance to try the Wal-Mart music store. I heard it went out of business.

• 3 weeks later...
I just tried to access the Wal-Mart music store and it took me to a Napster registration instead. I did some searching and the Wal-Mart store has closed after all.

O RLY?

Cue that "rollin' back prices" theme and break out the bouncy smiley faces, Walmart is trimming prices on its DRM-free MP3 music store. Many tracks will still be offered at the original 94 cent pricepoint, but certain "Top 25" songs will go for a mere 74 cents -- a quantity of money which is officially insufficient to buy anything in the meatspace anymore.

orly.jpeg

Archived