• iPhone
    • iPod Touch
    • iPod Nano
    • iPod Classic
    • iPod Shuffle

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've merged the posts about the HAIF nano contest into this thread.Let's keep this thread for talking about the gadgets, and the other for talking about the contest.In theory it should work, except for the Visual Voicemail. That feature requires some re-wiring of the phone network, itself. I doubt the T-Mobile USA will be willing to do that while the iPhone is still an AT&T exclusive.What will be interesting to see is if in 4.5 years from now T-Mobile and whatever other GSM/3G providers have sprung up modify their networks for full iPhone integration when the AT&T exclusivity period runs out.The problem with using a T-Mobile Germany iPhone on the T-Mobile USA network is that you'll still have to pay roaming charges for use, even though they're both T-Mobile. And European roaming charges are typically MUCH higher than American ones.

If you put your sim card in or activate it on your local number, I can't imagine there would be a roaming charge just because the phone was bought in Germany.

If you put your sim card in or activate it on your local number, I can't imagine there would be a roaming charge just because the phone was bought in Germany.
There's a couple of problems there.1 - If you just pop in a T-Mobile USA SIM, the iPhone won't work. It specifically looks for an AT&T one.2 - iPhones aren't activated in the same manner as regular GSM phones. They're activated through iTunes and the phone has to be plugged in to your computer in order for that to happen. You don't activate it at the store or on the phone -- only in iTunes.3 - If you buy it in Germany, then you have a T-Mobile Germany contract that you still have to pay in addition to the AT&T or T-Mobile one to use it here, assuming a T-Mobile USA SIM would work in a T-Mobile Germany iPhone. Again, the way the American iPhone looks for an AT&T SIM, it's quite likely that the German iPhone will look for a T-Mobile Germany SIM. This would help explain why the iPhone ended up on different companies in Europe -- so that people don't just run across the border from Germany to France to the UK to get one at a cheaper price. The carriers that upgraded their phone systems to handle the iPhone aren't going to want to have a bunch of freeloaders using their equipment who didn't buy the iPhone from them.
I doubt they'd public something that did not work.
They do it all the time. That's the difference between blogging and journalism: accountability, and accuracy.
Looks like iTunes purchased music does not work, but ripped CD's converted to .AAC then to .m4r works.
I'll try it tonight and we'll see. It would be great if ripped CD's would work. My wife has 12,000 songs ripped from CDs. She should be able to find a ringtone in there somewhere.

Do you really? Not even a Discman?

You should upgrade to some sort of MP3 player. I don't think you would be disappointed.

It has so many momories attached to it. I wouldn't even know how to use an MP3 player. And I just put new batteries in it. B)

They do it all the time. That's the difference between blogging and journalism: accountability, and accuracy.I'll try it tonight and we'll see. It would be great if ripped CD's would work. My wife has 12,000 songs ripped from CDs. She should be able to find a ringtone in there somewhere.

Wanted to throw in what I finally got to work. It finally worked for me. The key is that you have to use songs that you didn't purchase via iTunes. I am sure some update will kill this eventually. But for now here you go.

Here's what I did:

1. import mp3 to iTunes

2. convert to AAC

3. close iTunes and unplug phone

4. change file extension to .m4r

5. doubleclick on the new file (.m4r)

6. plug in phone

7. files are synched to iPhone

8. choose your new ring tone

Good luck!

Wanted to throw in what I finally got to work. It finally worked for me. The key is that you have to use songs that you didn't purchase via iTunes. I am sure some update will kill this eventually. But for now here you go.

Here's what I did:

1. import mp3 to iTunes

2. convert to AAC

3. close iTunes and unplug phone

4. change file extension to .m4r

5. doubleclick on the new file (.m4r)

6. plug in phone

7. files are synched to iPhone

8. choose your new ring tone

Good luck!

I wonder if the next iTunes update will have a patch to prevent people from circumventing this loop hole.

If that is the case, start making those ringtones now!

I wonder if the next iTunes update will have a patch to prevent people from circumventing this loop hole.

If that is the case, start making those ringtones now!

Guess what, they released a patch to block it! :lol: don't download iTunes 7.4.1, just stick with 7.4

Also, they DID find a workaround with this . . .again. Just rename the file .m4a and for some reason, it will accept it as a ringtone.

It is not as easy, but still works supposedly.

• 2 weeks later...

So I have, (finally) have a Touch on order.

With my Honda Element, I already have an AUX port, which will play the audio, but the controls still have to come from the iPod.

I need recommendations for (2) things:

1. Car mounting options (I was thinking a hardcase with Velco attached to the back???)
  2. Audio link (anything but FM transmitters, hate the sound quality) that will allow me to use the controls within my car.

With my Honda Element, I already have an AUX port, which will play the audio, but the controls still have to come from the iPod.

1. Car mounting options (I was thinking a hardcase with Velco attached to the back???)
  2. Audio link (anything but FM transmitters, hate the sound quality) that will allow me to use the controls within my car.

I would head over to iLounge or an Element-specific forum and research your connection question. There are many brands of wiring that allow control to go to the radio, but they tend to be quite vehicle/head unit specific. Both of ours cars have Blitzsafe wiring, but control stays with the ipod, which is my preference.

We have the classic iPod and Nano, and like to move them between cars, depending on who drives what. Both of our cars have ProClip mounts made for the specific model. Works very well and doesn't interfere with any other controls. Funny that you mention the velcro solution, because that is what we did. I actually attached velcro directly to the back of the Nano (because I don't care about its external condition), and to the hard case for the iPod. Then attached the other side of the velcro to the ProClip mount. Easy as pie!

No idea for #1.

As to #2 you need one of these: http://musiclink.honda.com/

I have one that's specific to my vehicle (NotAHonda) and it's great.

As to #2 you need one of these: http://musiclink.honda.com/
That requires them to install something permanent in the car, and at over $214, there has to be a better option.Also, it seems like it is shoved in the glove box, rather than in plain view for those that want to use it.
I would head over to iLounge or an Element-specific forum and research your connection question. There are many brands of wiring that allow control to go to the radio, but they tend to be quite vehicle/head unit specific. Both of ours cars have Blitzsafe wiring, but control stays with the ipod, which is my preference.We have the classic iPod and Nano, and like to move them between cars, depending on who drives what. Both of our cars have ProClip mounts made for the specific model. Works very well and doesn't interfere with any other controls. Funny that you mention the velcro solution, because that is what we did. I actually attached velcro directly to the back of the Nano (because I don't care about its external condition), and to the hard case for the iPod. Then attached the other side of the velcro to the ProClip mount. Easy as pie!
I went to both actually, and found most people use Sik Imp and Belkin.

That requires them to install something permanent in the car, and at over $214, there has to be a better option.Also, it seems like it is shoved in the glove box, rather than in plain view for those that want to use it.

You either use the AUX jack that you have, or you install hardware (an adapter box or a new head unit/system), or you use an FM modulator (which sounds like ass). There's no provision to wirelessly beam data and commands between the iClod and your head unit.

If the Honda adapter system is anything like the system I have, then the iClod won't respond to inputs through the clickywheel when it is plugged into the car adapter. You can always put the plug for the iClod elsewhere but it probably won't do you any good.

The install is probably pretty simple....

I've been very happy with a ProClip mounting bracket, a DICE cradle, and a DICE interface. I did the install myself, which saved several hundred dollars but took several hours and required removing the radio. But it's easy to use, holds the iPod securely, charges it, and sounds great.

http://www.diceelectronics.com

It would appear that their kits just pretend to be a CD changer....which really won't get you any more functionality than just using the AUX jack.

It would appear that their kits just pretend to be a CD changer....which really won't get you any more functionality than just using the AUX jack.

Yes, this is correct. If you don't have an AUX input and can live without the CD changer it is one of the only solutions. Since my car is old enough not to have an in-dash CD player, (changer only) it means the ability to just pop in a friend's CD is gone. I've managed to work around that pretty well and most of the time I'm either by myself or with family.

It also makes for an elegant mounting/charging solution with a minimum of exposed wires and it does allow simultaneous use of the iPod controls and the radio controls for tracks and some playlists.

Sounds like what ever I want to do to have access to controls from my stereo, I need to rip out the casing regardless, I guess I will be going to a car audio shop then.

If you have half a clue and some rudimentary tools (screwdriver) you can do it yourself....most all the kits are plug and play....besides...the shop will likely screw something up. Nobody cares more about how well its done than you do.

If you have half a clue and some rudimentary tools (screwdriver) you can do it yourself....most all the kits are plug and play....besides...the shop will likely screw something up. Nobody cares more about how well its done than you do.

Yes, you CAN do it yourself. I would not, however, underestimate the time and care it takes to do it correctly. The Honda may be different, but in the case of my Audi, it did require the purchase or fabrication of trim removal and radio removal tools as well as quite a bit of before-hand research on various Audi owner forums. It also took several hours and is not something you want to rush.

If you want to see my long description of the process:

http://forums.audiworld.com/audio/msgs/55745.phtml

http://forums.audiworld.com/audio/msgs/55941.phtml

In the last 18 mths I've installed a Dension Ice-Link into our Audi A4 and a USA Spec into our Honda Pilot. The Pilot has satnav, XM, and an in-dash CD changer. All those functions still remain and the USA Spec adds two inputs - one for the ipod and one for an external source (satellite radio tuner, DVD player etc).

With this unit, I'd say you do get a bit more functionality - you have full ipod control, and you can use the head unit / steering wheel controls to skip tracks and playlists. Some unit / vehicle combinations will display the song title on the head unit as well, not sure about an Element.

USA Spec was $125 from River Oaks Car Stereo on Richmond, and it took about 30 minutes to install. Biggest hassle was removing the first two trim pieces - after that, all I needed was a screwdriver. I installed it in the glovebox for now, although there were options to route the cable out under the dash so the ipod would be more accessible.

I'd find a Element-specific forum and research those options. In both the Audi and the Honda forums, there was one device that was clearly favored over others, and also a wealth of how-to and how-not-to-do information when it comes to installing it.

BTW, the Honda-branded music link is supposed to be junk.

OK, so I know you dont like FM transmitters, and I dont blame you. Most of them use the analog audio out (the earphone jack). Hence the problem with quality.

Monster makes an iPod FM transmitter and cigarette charger combination thing that actually plugs into the iPod digital connection. It then converts the digital signal (lossless) into analog and transmits that. I have found the quality to be a magnitude of order better than any other analog to analog FM transmitter.

It also charges the iPod while its in use, so no seperate cable.

Its pretty slick. I would give it a try if I were you.

In the last 18 mths I've installed a Dension Ice-Link into our Audi A4 (snip)

I'd find a Element-specific forum and research those options. In both the Audi and the Honda forums, there was one device that was clearly favored over others, and also a wealth of how-to and how-not-to-do information when it comes to installing it.

BTW, the Honda-branded music link is supposed to be junk.

I hate "me too" posts but I have to do it for this one. Yes, what I am calling DICE is the US-distributed version of the Dension Ice-Link. My car is also an Audi A4. Again, the forums are your friend, and certainly the Audi-branded music link is far inferior to the DICE system. I can believe the Honda one would be the same.

WRT the Monster FM transmitter, still the weak link is your car's FM radio. It might be great, I've never tried it. But the previous post is also the only remotely positive post I've ever seen about any FM transmitter. I wouldn't try it unless you could return it.

When i get in my car i plug my ipod in via the dock connector and it charges while i browse my playlists using the stock bose headunit controls. How you ask? With this!

USASpec PA11-NIS

Its the greatest thing to happen to car audio (for me anyway). You get digital output, which sounds better than RCA output, and it charges AND its hidden from view while you use your existing head unit controls to browse your playlists. you can also switch it to browse all the songs in your ipod if you so desire. i installed it in about 15 minutes with just a screwdriver. you do have to pull out your head unit to plug it into your cd changer auxiliary port, but it was not hard. i should mention i own an infiniti g20 2001, but i believe it works in most nissan stock bose headunits. there is a honda one available as well. i will keep this car forever....

** oops forgot to mention this: if your ipod is over a year old, and you've noticed its a bit sluggish, wipe it, and reload all your songs/playlists again at once. good as new! do this every year or so, especially of you use it as an external HDD. Do NOT try defragging it using your windows utilities, not recommended.

WRT the Monster FM transmitter, still the weak link is your car's FM radio. It might be great, I've never tried it. But the previous post is also the only remotely positive post I've ever seen about any FM transmitter. I wouldn't try it unless you could return it.

The apple stores carry them and will allow you to return it. However, you can get a MUCH better price online if you actually decide you like it.

Archived