Boycott Home Depot- Shop At Lowe's Instead

Toggle3

Home Depot engages in racist pandering and should be boycotted. The Houston store on 610 Loop in the Heights now has every sign within their store listed in English and Spanish. Why not German? Does Home Depot not care about German-Americans? Where's the French? No Vietnamese? Are the corporate heads of Home Depot simply racists? Yes.

A corporate response from Home Depot stated that they "have Spanish language advertisements and signs to support diversity". What they're really doing is taking political action to radically change American culture.

Foreign languages in the public marketplace do not embrace diversity; it's simply divisive. Foreign languages alienate Americans one from the other. For a huge corporation to support foreign nationals over Americans is irresponsible and unacceptable.

Home Depot is embracing a racist attitude, polarizing the country, and undermining Amercan families. They need to be boycotted.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Canada, almost everything is in English and French, and I didn't ever hear anybody complain. The reason being, those are the two most frequently spoken languages. English and Spanish signs make sense here in Texas, because those are the most commonly spoken languages. There simply aren't enough German customers to make it worth anybody's while to translate all of the signs to German. There probably aren't enough Spanish speakers in somewhere like Mississippi to bother translating signs into Spanish, but here in Texas, apparently it's worth their while, and it doesn't bother me.

What I do have a problem with is that in Quebec, they sometimes leave the English part out of signs (even tourist signs and plaques). Having only French doesn't make much sense when you're trying to encourage tourism/business from the rest of North America. That's something I'll never understand. Quebec politics are even weirder than US politics. :)

Home Depot engages in racist pandering and should be boycotted. The Houston store on 610 Loop in the Heights now has every sign within their store listed in English and Spanish. Why not German? Does Home Depot not care about German-Americans? Where's the French? No Vietnamese? Are the corporate heads of Home Depot simply racists? Yes.

A corporate response from Home Depot stated that they "have Spanish language advertisements and signs to support diversity". What they're really doing is taking political action to radically change American culture.

Foreign languages in the public marketplace do not embrace diversity; it's simply divisive. Foreign languages alienate Americans one from the other. For a huge corporation to support foreign nationals over Americans is irresponsible and unacceptable.

Home Depot is embracing a racist attitude, polarizing the country, and undermining Amercan families. They need to be boycotted.

Vielleicht sollten Sie nach jemandem fragen, der wirklich eine Frage mit einem Sprachhindernis hat. Kl

We do not need Home Depot to do this when the Bush administration does this well enough already.

Bush doesn't do it any better than any other President in the past. Politicians will always be divisive because of our two party system.

That being said, it does annoy the crap out of me that we pander to spanish speakers rather than encouraging them to learn the language. On the part of Home Depot, I think it was far less a political move and more a business move as there are tons of spanish contractors and employees of contractors. Making their products more available to them makes sound business sense.

I still don't agree with it. We should not sit idly by while the spanish speakers come in to this country and do not feel the need to assimilate when every other group that comes here does. At the least, learn the language. It isn't like English is difficult to learn for spanish speakers. Far easier than for french, vietnamese, arabic speakers, etc.

It isn't like English is difficult to learn for spanish speakers. Far easier than for french, vietnamese, arabic speakers, etc.

Spanish and French are both Romance languages (derived from Latin) so the curve is about the same learning English with mangled syntax and such (from an Spanish/French speaker's point of view). Germanic languages follow a closer pattern to English as the latter belongs in that group.

I agree they should at least learn at least basic English, much in the way I would brush up on mi espanol si yo decido vivir en Mexico.

Anyway, it is hypocritical for someone to disguise racism and xenophobia as a complaint against the same.

I suppose we can boycott Fiesta too. Hell, its name is in Spanish. :rolleyes:

Bush doesn't do it any better than any other President in the past. Politicians will always be divisive because of our two party system.

That being said, it does annoy the crap out of me that we pander to spanish speakers rather than encouraging them to learn the language. On the part of Home Depot, I think it was far less a political move and more a business move as there are tons of spanish contractors and employees of contractors. Making their products more available to them makes sound business sense.

I still don't agree with it. We should not sit idly by while the spanish speakers come in to this country and do not feel the need to assimilate when every other group that comes here does. At the least, learn the language. It isn't like English is difficult to learn for spanish speakers. Far easier than for french, vietnamese, arabic speakers, etc.

I think one reason why they choose not to try and speak english is because they don't really have to. One, we cater to them, and two, they live in their own little spanish communities for the most part where everyone speaks their language.

I saw on PBS the other day how many hispanics are living in New Orleans now, for obvious reasons. They've tried having community activites w/ a heavy emphasis on inviting the hispanic population. They don't come though.

Community leaders think that one reason they don't is b/c they affraid they might be arrested or soemthing b/c they're illegals. But a leader also mentioned that they know some english and want to practice, but they're intimidated.

I've heard similar stories of Americans living in France. Instead of learning the language, they just surround themselves w/ English speaking people, helping relieve their need to learn the native language.

We should not sit idly by while the spanish speakers come in to this country and do not feel the need to assimilate when every other group that comes here does. At the least, learn the language. It isn't like English is difficult to learn for spanish speakers. Far easier than for french, vietnamese, arabic speakers, etc.

I like how only one group is being targeted by a few. Is it only the spanish speakers we're having a problem with? Does that include Spaniards? So no problem if we were talking about Urdu, French, Samoan, or Gaeilge?

How did you come to the conclusion that it is easier for Spanish speakers to learn English than others?

I've driven past a lot of communities where I thought I was in Ha Noi or Dubai. Are these said communities in the list of "every other group that comes here does"?

Spanish and French are both Romance languages (derived from Latin) so the curve is about the same learning English with mangled syntax and such (from an Spanish/French speaker's point of view). Germanic languages follow a closer pattern to English as the latter belongs in that group.I agree they should at least learn at least basic English, much in the way I would brush up on mi espanol si yo decido vivir en Mexico.Anyway, it is hypocritical for someone to disguise racism and xenophobia as a complaint against the same.I suppose we can boycott Fiesta too. Hell, its name is in Spanish. :rolleyes:
Being frustrated by this does not make someone a racist or a xenophobe. I get irritated to no end how people throw those terms around when they do not apply in the least.Wanting someone to learn a language is NOT racist.
I like how only one group is being targeted by a few. Is it only the spanish speakers we're having a problem with? Does that include Spaniards? So no problem if we were talking about Urdu, French, Samoan, or Gaeilge? How did you come to the conclusion that it is easier for Spanish speakers to learn English than others?I've driven past a lot of communities where I thought I was in Ha Noi or Dubai. Are these said communities in the list of "every other group that comes here does"?
I live by China town and little Vietnam. There are signs in Vietnamese and in English. But the majority of those groups know fundamental english and don't need things to be translated for them to get by.the same goes with Indians and Arabs, they have, at the least, basic understanding of the language, and for many, and advanced understanding.The home depot at Bellaire and BW8, which is smack in the middle of China town doesn't have signs in Chinese and English, it is Spanish and English.So the community argument doesn't really work.

Who said anything about getting rid of them?

Wanting them to assimilate or come in to the country legally is not equivalent to wanting to get rid of them.

Hm, I know more than a couple people who want them gone.

But either way, you didn't get it. It's paraphrasing a line from an old South Park episode.

I think people who come in should come in legally, but even if they all came in legally we would probably still be having these same discussions.

If I was coming in somewhere I would have no intention of assimilating with people who want nothing to do with me from the getgo.

Archived