METRO Southeast Corridor

According to METRO's website the light rail Southeast corridor that will connect UofH to the multimodal transit center in downtown is as follows

"The corridor is approximately 6.3 miles in length, extending from downtown Houston, following a line on Capitol and Rusk Streets to Polk Street, south on Scott street, east on Wheeler Street, south on Martin Luther King Boulevard, and east on Griggs to Beekman Road."

Here's a map

http://www.metrosolutions.org/posted/1068/...1306.137994.pdf

I heard through a friend that METRO is surveying houses along Velasco, because they are considering changing the proposed course of the SE corridor. They are building the cycle path along Velasco right now, so I don't see where do they plan to put both a cycle path and a light rail lane running parallel.

Does anybody know what's the plan?

i will say that it WONT be LRT, but BRT. the pdf is the route METRO chose in 2006. METRO was really pushing the scott to griggs alignment but quite a few of the residents in the hood south of UH were worried about access to their neighborhood and were very vocal.

as for the velasco rumor, that would be an interesting development. since METRO hasn't begun construction, it is still possible.

According to METRO's website the light rail Southeast corridor that will connect UofH to the multimodal transit center in downtown is as follows

Is this suppose to go down to the "multimodal"? It looks like it ends or starts somewhere in the theater district. The intermodal suppose to be a little north of UHD

I heard through a friend that METRO is surveying houses along Velasco, because they are considering changing the proposed course of the SE corridor. They are building the cycle path along Velasco right now, so I don't see where do they plan to put both a cycle path and a light rail lane running parallel.

Does anybody know what's the plan?

I've been giving some thought as to what this might be. 1) Realignment of a corridor, 2) long-range planning for a new corridor, or 3) long-range planning for commuter rail service to Pearland and/or Rosenberg. I suppose that there is one other plausible alternative, which is that METRO mistakenly believes that they already own it, and they plan on breaking ground tomorrow on a 100% locally-funded Maglev line between 3rd Ward and Bay City with stops every half-mile. It won't make a lick of sense, but it sure will be 'cool'.

In all seriousness, #2 is a distinct possibility. Third Ward has always had more activism supporting it than just about any other inner city neighborhood. #3 is more or less a footnote in a TXDoT study that METRO officials probably haven't read. #1 seems unlikely at this point.

Is this suppose to go down to the "multimodal"? It looks like it ends or starts somewhere in the theater district. The intermodal suppose to be a little north of UHD

Yeah, I guess they'd have to transfer or walk. I don't know why it just doesn't go to the Intermodal straightaway. Maybe to swing past Toyota Center and Main St Square?

I've gotten a copy of the letter my friend got from METRO about surveying his house in Dallas St, close to Velasco. It says that METRO is planning several projects "designed to meet Houston's increasing transit needs. One of these projects is the proposed transit line between the University of Houston main campus and the North Intermodal situated north of downtown Houston". Perhaps METRO would save some money by taking advantage of the right of way along Velasco? But why remove the rail tracks and spend money on a cycle path along the exact same street?

i will say that it WONT be LRT, but BRT. the pdf is the route METRO chose in 2006. METRO was really pushing the scott to griggs alignment but quite a few of the residents in the hood south of UH were worried about access to their neighborhood and were very vocal. as for the velasco rumor, that would be an interesting development. since METRO hasn't begun construction, it is still possible.
BRT...I haven't thought about that. I don't know if Velasco is wide enough to have dedicated lanes for BRT. Does BRT need at least one dedicated bus lane in each direction? I'm not very familiar with the system.

I've gotten a copy of the letter my friend got from METRO about surveying his house in Dallas St, close to Velasco. It says that METRO is planning several projects "designed to meet Houston's increasing transit needs. One of these projects is the proposed transit line between the University of Houston main campus and the North Intermodal situated north of downtown Houston". Perhaps METRO would save some money by taking advantage of the right of way along Velasco? But why remove the rail tracks and spend money on a cycle path along the exact same street?BRT...I haven't thought about that. I don't know if Velasco is wide enough to have dedicated lanes for BRT. Does BRT need at least one dedicated bus lane in each direction? I'm not very familiar with the system.

Oh, I figured you were talking about more to the south of there. The City's hike & bike trail will terminate at Leeland, so the part of the rail right of way north of there, including your friend's home, is still available. I'm actually a bit surprised at two things, one being that the city isn't extending the trail along the old right of way as it curves and turns west, then cutting diagonally across city blocks until it gets to Minute Maid Park. The other is that METRO hasn't proposed using that right of way as a dedicated path. After all, it already has curves in it that are necessary and that would otherwise have to be taken by eminent domain from private landowners, and it is plenty wide enough for the BRT. Maybe someone finally wised up to it.

niche the trail is going north of leeland. i was on the bus on mckinney last week and noticed they were constructing the trail right by the mckinney lofts (or whatever they are called)

I've gotten a copy of the letter my friend got from METRO about surveying his house in Dallas St, close to Velasco. It says that METRO is planning several projects "designed to meet Houston's increasing transit needs. One of these projects is the proposed transit line between the University of Houston main campus and the North Intermodal situated north of downtown Houston". Perhaps METRO would save some money by taking advantage of the right of way along Velasco? But why remove the rail tracks and spend money on a cycle path along the exact same street?
anyone want to bet that METRO hasn't contacted the city? this is sounding like the hike/bike trail on nicholson thread.
BRT...I haven't thought about that. I don't know if Velasco is wide enough to have dedicated lanes for BRT. Does BRT need at least one dedicated bus lane in each direction? I'm not very familiar with the system.
the BRT proposed here has been 2 way.

• 2 weeks later...

I just found this forum while trying to find out info about what is going to happen to my house with the rail plan that I think this discussion is about. My home/business is in one of only two houses on this entire block, on the corner of Scott and Polk. I have a long lease, and have put alot of money into developing an urban farm here---extensive gardens, pond, ducks, and a very nice chicken named Dumpling. I love being able to see the skyline from my "farm." My landlord told me a few months ago that the house next to me, which is on the actual corner of Scott/Polk, will be taken for the rail. Then the construction manager for my company (landscape design/build) saw some blueprints the guys doing the water lines had, and told me that this whole block goes. Then I heard the rail wasn't going through here at all. Tonight my landlord brought me a form he also gave my neighbors next door, called a Metropolitan Transit Authority Residential Relocation Questionnaire. He told me the rail project won't happen until 2009, and that he isn't sure my house will go when it does. I told him about the blueprints my construction manager saw, and he pretended to be shocked. Maybe he really is shocked, but I just don't trust him because he doesn't want me to move and has down-played the whole rail thing since it first came up a few months ago. I tried to open the link to the map someone put on here, but my computer wouldn't open it. If anyone knows how I can find out if my house will be taken, and more importantly, when the project is supposed to start, I would really appreciate it.

I just found this forum while trying to find out info about what is going to happen to my house with the rail plan that I think this discussion is about. My home/business is in one of only two houses on this entire block, on the corner of Scott and Polk. I have a long lease, and have put alot of money into developing an urban farm here---extensive gardens, pond, ducks, and a very nice chicken named Dumpling. I love being able to see the skyline from my "farm." My landlord told me a few months ago that the house next to me, which is on the actual corner of Scott/Polk, will be taken for the rail. Then the construction manager for my company (landscape design/build) saw some blueprints the guys doing the water lines had, and told me that this whole block goes. Then I heard the rail wasn't going through here at all. Tonight my landlord brought me a form he also gave my neighbors next door, called a Metropolitan Transit Authority Residential Relocation Questionnaire. He told me the rail project won't happen until 2009, and that he isn't sure my house will go when it does. I told him about the blueprints my construction manager saw, and he pretended to be shocked. Maybe he really is shocked, but I just don't trust him because he doesn't want me to move and has down-played the whole rail thing since it first came up a few months ago. I tried to open the link to the map someone put on here, but my computer wouldn't open it. If anyone knows how I can find out if my house will be taken, and more importantly, when the project is supposed to start, I would really appreciate it.

Wow, I think I see your house on Google Maps. They have a cool new "Street View" feature.

Wow, I think I see your house on Google Maps. They have a cool new "Street View" feature.

Yep, you probably can see it. Somehow my daughter in Seattle saw my house before she got here for a visit. The pic she saw was taken before we put the gardens in though. We definitely transformed things here from what it was like when we arrived. I love doing that---taking nothing and making it into something cool using salvage stuff and creativity instead of alot of money. I will be very sad if I have to leave here, and I have a feeling I will have to do that. Sigh.

What is really interesting to see them do (as we speak) is there are crews pouring cement directly on top of the old railroad tracks that run all along the little Elementary School over East by 45 and Scott area. As you drive east on feeder next to that school you have to slow down due to the school zone so you see a good glimpse of the cementing. Apparently it is now going to be a long sidewalk? or bike path?

This would be an excellent photo for a professional photographer since the path is fresh new and a direct straight line.

Based on this link, http://www.metrosolutions.org/posted/1068/...ions.141261.pdf, here are the proposed property acquisitions in your general area (the "partial" or "whole" refers to either a taking of a part of the property or the whole property):

1 1409 Sampson Commercial Partial Unoccupied / 0 1

2 3409 Polk St Commercial Partial Unoccupied / 0 1

3 3422 Polk St Vacant Commercial Partial Unoccupied / 0 0

4 Scott @ York Commercial Corner Clip Unoccupied / 0 0

5 3522 Scott Commercial Partial Unoccupied / 0 0

6 0 Scott St Commercial Partial Unoccupied / 0 0

7 3602 Denver St Residential Whole Occupied / 1 1

8 1403 Scott St Residential Whole Occupied / 1 1

9 1405 Scott St Vacant Residential Whole Unoccupied / 0 0

10 1409 Scott St Residential Whole Occupied / 1 1

11 3603 Bell St Residential Whole Occupied / 1 1

You might also be able to take a look at these preliminary engineering drawings (huge file): http://www.metrosolutions.org/posted/1068/...Vol2.141260.pdf

The plans indicate that land would be taken on both sides of Scott Street at Polk, but doesn't appear to be the entire property, just a strip. Best I can tell, it looks like METRO would take less than 25' from each side of Scott. Of course, those plans are a year old now (September 2006). I don't know how much they've changed in the last year, but it's a safe bet that the plans have changed.

• 2 weeks later...
I know exactly which one is your house!!! I see your urban farm almost every day when I'm walking to school. It would be awful to see it go. Couldn't you call METRO and ask them directly?
What is really interesting to see them do (as we speak) is there are crews pouring cement directly on top of the old railroad tracks that run all along the little Elementary School over East by 45 and Scott area. As you drive east on feeder next to that school you have to slow down due to the school zone so you see a good glimpse of the cementing. Apparently it is now going to be a long sidewalk? or bike path?This would be an excellent photo for a professional photographer since the path is fresh new and a direct straight line.
What they are building now is a cycle path. The street where they are removing the railroad tracks is Velasco. This is the cycle path that they'll have to redo if they decide to have the rail run along Velasco. Do you think that Velasco (particularly @ Mckinney) is wide enough for a LR?

Do you think that Velasco (particularly @ Mckinney) is wide enough for a LR?

I havent passed by in a while but given that this area is so run down and forgotten, this would be for the best, especially if they tore down all of the tenemant slums that plague the area. That specific area has many tiny little shacks just pushed up against each other and only serve as rentals for very low income folks.

LR would be a dream come true here. That simple. Somethings Gotta Give.

Archived