Houston / Dallas fan

TxDave

As a (former) resident of both cities, I am truly fond of each.

I have continually maintained that Houston and Dallas are much more similar than they are different. My personal experience living in both has only emphasized this concept.

Rather that focus only on "one-upmanship", we should instead evaluate what we have in common and what we can learn from each other.

Dallas and Houston can not be compared to each other because of the vibe that makes them one of a kind, That is what makes Texas great, that's what makes life great. be yourself ect...

Dallas and Houston can not be compared to each other because of the vibe that makes them one of a kind, That is what makes Texas great, that's what makes life great. be yourself ect...

I agree - there is a different vibe in Houston and Dallas (I love both!) . But I still maintain they are similar cities overall.

LBJ Freeway (I-635) is goegraphically similar to major freeway intersections with Beltway 8 in Houston (Beltway 8 is actually more square whereas LBJ is more rounded)

- Gallaria Dallas is similar geographically to Memorial City.

- Westchase is similar to Addison

- IAH is slightly more convenient than DFW

not sure if phrases like "similar geographically", "slightly more convenient", do anything to describe either city.

Aug. 24, 2007, 9:48AM

Us vs. them

The Houston-Dallas rivalry: OK, just who really is No. 1?

By TARA DOOLEY

Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicl

http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/life/5079055.html

So Houston is better than Dallas in such highbrow categories as Dance, Classical, Literature and Art.

Yet Dallas is the one full of uppity, pretentious snobs.

That article pretty much said nothing.

Reading through it really sounds like someone very young was given an assigment and threw something together. The one thing I found interesting in the comparison is that she included Galveston as part of the comparison, yet did not include Ft. Worth as part of Dallas. I know its what many like to believe, that Ft. Worth is in an isolated part of Texas far away from Dallas, but downtown Ft. Worth is about 35 miles from downtown Dallas. While downtown Galveston is 50 miles from downtown Houston. The only mention of Ft. Worth was the Texas Ballet (the major ballet theater for Dallas and Ft. worth), yet when she wrote about the Musuems she totally blew off Ft. Worth. She also blew off the new stadium being built for the cowboys, etc. etc., buy I guess you do that to try and make a point.

The only point to me is that the cities are more like each other then not. They each have characteristics that make them a little different from the other. The major differences are one has zoning while one doesn't. One is able to annex land around it, while one is land locked by surround suburbs. One has a more expansive freeway system, while the other has a more expansive rail system. The city of Houston proper will always be larger then the city of Dallas proper (land mass and population), yet the metro areas will probably always be similar in size. Both the metro areas will continue to stand out as the top 2 in the state. Any development in one will only help the development of the other and the state as a whole. Being someone who works for a major architecture/urban planning firm; they are both in Texas. Generally speaking you will see the same type of development patterns in the city and in the suburbs whether it be DFW, Houston, San Antonio, Austin...etc.

Biggest diffrence to me is that all of Houston's museums, universities, theatres, sports venues, top- end neighborhoods (West U, the Village, River Oaks etc...), best parks (Herman Park and Memorial Park), and the all the great things about the city are all inside the west-side of the loop. Great 50 sq. miles or so to live, play, work. To get to the Dallas areas best areas like the sport venues, museums, etc.. Ft. Worth and the whole metro needs to be included. I know both metro areas are very sprawled out but at least Houston's best qualities are in the core and not 50 miles from each other.

If you were to plop a New Yorker or someone from Europe in the middle of Dallas or Houston, they would see no real difference. The skylines, (that we argue about constantly), the restaurants, the culture....its all Texas. Looking at this discussion from a more International perspective, the cities are practically identical. Think about how different Rome is from Paris, or Tokyo from Mumbai. Now those are different cities.

If you were to plop a New Yorker or someone from Europe in the middle of Dallas or Houston, they would see no real difference. The skylines, (that we argue about constantly), the restaurants, the culture....its all Texas. Looking at this discussion from a more International perspective, the cities are practically identical. Think about how different Rome is from Paris, or Tokyo from Mumbai. Now those are different cities.

Yes, to most outsiders, Houston and Dallas are incredibly similar -- to the point of being almost indistinguishable. International visitors usually think Houston just sucks a little less.

My sister's boyfriend from England said the exact same thing.

• 1 month later...
Yes, to most outsiders, Houston and Dallas are incredibly similar -- to the point of being almost indistinguishable. International visitors usually think Houston just sucks a little less.

I NEVER want to make this a "versus" anything, but which one feels or appears to be more international??? I would say Houston, but from talking with people over at SSP, I'm not quite sure.

There is a clear difference in the 2 cities. You can feel it. Austin, Houston, and Dallas all feel different. There is a different attitude in all 3 cities. Trying to apply a wholesale change in categories - like U.S. cities versus European cities

Archived