80's Soap "texas" Set In Houston

In another thread I mentioned an old 80's short-lived NBC soap called "Texas" set in Houston. I did a search for the show and found a site where you can watch the opening and closing sequences from the show. There are shots of downtown, San Jacinto monument, etc.

The 1981 theme is entirely different from 1982 and is very "Dallas"-esque. The 1982 theme is longer and has more shots of Houston including one of a TV station that I didn't recognize and couldn't make out the name. Could have been a fictitious one for the show.

Both are equally kind of cheesy, but fun! The quality's not all that great, but here it is anyway:

Click under where it says "Videos":

"Texas" link

I've only watched the two opening sequences.

Oh, and for some reason that voice-over at the end of both videos just cracks me up.

That's prety funny. And the voiceover is pretty bad -- who was this Beverlee McKinsey and why was she the only one who was "starring" in the show? And was she still around in season two, or had the "new generation" completely taken over because the first was so bad?

Given that the show only lasted a couple of seasons it must have been pretty awful.

lol! I've never seen the show myself, but it was spin-off of another soap, "Another World". "Texas" didn't last long, but it seems to have had a cult following. I think some fans are even lobbying for SOAPnet to acquire the rights to reruns. I'd certainly watch out of curiosity. It does have a catchy theme(s). I wonder if they ever did any location shoots within actual episodes.

As for Beverly McKinsey, here's the info I found at imdb.com:

Date of birth (location)

9 August 1940

Oklahoma, USA

Now retired from acting.

Credits:

"General Hospital" (1963) TV Series .... Myrna Slaughter (1994)

"The Guiding Light" (1952) TV Series .... Alexandra 'Alex' Spaulding von Halkein Thorpe #1 (1984-1992)

... aka Guiding Light (USA: new title)

The Demon Murder Case (1983) (TV) .... Charlotte Harris

... aka The Rhode Island Murders

"Texas" (1980) TV Series .... Iris Cory Carrington Delaney Bancroft Wheeler (1980-1981) (original cast)

... aka Another World: Texas (USA)

Bronco Billy (1980) .... Irene Lilly, Antoinette's stepmother

"Another World" (1964) TV Series .... Emma Frame Ordway #1 (1972)/Iris Carrington Delaney Bancroft Wheeler #1 (1972-1980)

... aka Another World: Bay City

"Love Is a Many Splendored Thing" (1967) TV Series .... Martha Donnelly (aka Julie Richards) (1970-1971)

Filmography as: Actress, Notable TV Guest Appearances

Notable TV Guest Appearances

"Remington Steele" playing "Alexis Vandermeer" in episode: "Vintage Steele" (episode # 1.19) 15 March 1983

"Cannon" playing "Rita Bell" in episode: "The Dead Samaritan" (episode # 2.15) 10 January 1973

"The Mod Squad" in episode: "Another Final Game" (episode # 5.10) 16 November 1972

"The Delphi Bureau" playing "Goldy" in episode: "The Man Upstairs-The Man Downstairs Project" (episode # 1.2) 26 October 1972

"McMillan and Wife" playing "Laurie Forrest" in episode: "Husbands, Wives, and Killers" (episode # 1.3) 10 November 1971

"Longstreet" playing "Sue Hazelton" in episode: "A World of Perfect Complicity" (episode # 1.2) 23 September 1971

"Death Valley Days" playing "Maud Gage Baum" in episode: "The Wizard of Aberdeen" (episode # 18.14) 17 January 1970

"Hawaii Five-O" playing "Jo Louise Mailer" in episode: "The Joker's WIld, Man, Wild" (episode # 2.13) 17 December 1969

"The Virginian" playing "Abby Clayton" in episode: "The Substitute" (episode # 8.8) 5 November 1969

"The Mod Squad" playing "Claudine Addison" in episode: "A Hint of Darkness, a Hint of Light" (episode # 1.18) 11 February 1969

"Mannix" playing "Carol Chase" in episode: "Death Run" (episode # 2.13) 4 January 1969

"The Second Hundred Years" playing "Flo" in episode: "Love on the Double" (episode # 1.22) 7 February 1968

"Hawk" playing "Mattie Mulroy" in episode: "Wall of Silence" (episode # 1.16) 22 December 1966

"The Defenders" playing "Karen McDermott" in episode: "Only a Child" (episode # 4.30) 13 May 1965

"The Nurses" playing "Eileen Moore" in episode: "Where There's Smoke" (episode # 3.23) 9 March 1965

I guess that makes sense considering the show was on NBC. I wonder why they just didn't leave it KPRC then. Make it more authentic. I remember a couple of years ago there was a miniseries on NBC called "Kingpin" and some of the scenes took place in Houston. KPRC played a part in the show; only thing different was actors as the news anchors. But the graphics and everything were the same.

• 2 weeks later...
I guess that makes sense considering the show was on NBC. I wonder why they just didn't leave it KPRC then. Make it more authentic. I remember a couple of years ago there was a miniseries on NBC called "Kingpin" and some of the scenes took place in Houston. KPRC played a part in the show; only thing different was actors as the news anchors. But the graphics and everything were the same.

"Texas" aired on NBC daytime from August 1980 until December 31, 1982. It was the first daytime serial launched in 60-minute format, and was a spin-off of the then popular "Another World". Beverlee McKinsey is one of the most accomplished, popular, and critically acclaimed actresses ever to grace daytime drama. She had been the privotal villianess Iris Carrington on "Another World" since 1972 and was convinced to take the become the center of the new show, which was an attempt by NBC to cash in on the "Dallas" craze then sweeping the country. To entice the actress into doing the new show, NBC and Proctor & Gamble, the show's owner, gave her the unprecedented perk of the show's title being..."Texas, starring Beverlee McKinsey!". In addition, the brass at NBC hinted that if the show were a hit in daytime, it would be moved to primetime to take on "Dallas"....

Unfortunately, the show's debut and first year were a disaster. The writing was horrible and except for Beverlee McKinsey and a few others females, the large contingent of actresses were the worst assembled cast up to that time in daytime tv. In addition, NBC aired the program at 2:00PM CST, directly against "General Hospital", then in the midst of the Luke & Laura phenomenon and commanding unheard of shares of the viewing audience.

McKinsey left the sinking ship after one year, and the show was given a new logo, them, and opening..."Texas, the new generation!", which brought about a focus on younger characters. NBC moved the show to the late morning to escape the mammoth "General Hospital", but the network's affiliates began to drop the show just as it developed a loyal fan base with improved writing and production. Faced with dwindling affiliates clearances and a huge production budget, NBC cancelled the show after two years, a cancellation that prompted the largest outpouring of protest up to that time of any cancelled soap opera. This even despite the fact that "Texas" only aired for two years and that NBC also cancelled the 20 year-old soap "The Doctors" on the same day. In late 1983 or so, "Texas" was seen in daily half-hour repeats on Superstation TBS for about a year.

In the opening credits that is KPRC, whose outside was used as an establishing shot for the show's tv station, KVIK. The reason the station was called KVIK on the show was because it was owned by a character named VICKY Bellman, and in a satirical plotline at the end of the show's run, the character, despite trying her hardest to turn the station's fortune's around, lost the station to impatient and greedy network executives, the parellels to NBC's cancellation of "Texas" all but spelled out to the audience.

• 2 months later...
In another thread I mentioned an old 80's short-lived NBC soap called "Texas" set in Houston. I did a search for the show and found a site where you can watch the opening and closing sequences from the show. There are shots of downtown, San Jacinto monument, etc.

The 1981 theme is entirely different from 1982 and is very "Dallas"-esque. The 1982 theme is longer and has more shots of Houston including one of a TV station that I didn't recognize and couldn't make out the name. Could have been a fictitious one for the show.

Both are equally kind of cheesy, but fun! The quality's not all that great, but here it is anyway:

"Texas" link

Oh, and for some reason that voice-over at the end of both videos just cracks me up.

gosh, could that opening have been less homogenous? not a black or brown face in the bunch. i just love how they whitewash texas like that. lol

• 2 years later...

Since the last posting on this topic, Procter & Gamble has been making episodes from their soap opera holdings available on-line free of charge. You can check out episodes of "Texas" starting from its launch way back in August 1980 at:

http://video.aol.com/video-category/p-and-...ssic-soaps/1744

Please note that from time to time, the videos are unavailable while the site is updated.

As various posters have noted, "Texas" got off to a wobbly start (check out the lengthy scenes in early shows where not much happens), but improved greatly in its second and final year.

The first few episodes feature several location segments with the cast, including exterior and interior shots of the TV station mentioned earlier.

The very first opening has been posted on You Tube at:

I hope someone will capture the second, more catchy theme music once the AOL episodes reach the 1981 stage.

This must have been a "flash in the pan" show. Here today, gone tomorrow. I don't recall it at all.

The other show Matt Houston was more recognized I think, and only because of the name Houston. It fizzled out shortly after as well. That dude/star was Tom Selleck's competetion I think. Where are they now section. :blink:

A synopsis of the show can be found at the following Wikipedia site:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_%28soap_opera%29

A scanned TV Guide article from 1983 also bears checking out on the pitfalls the soap faced, ultimately leading to its cancellation. There are three pages in total. Here is the link to page one. The forward button at the top will take you to the next two pages.

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?...&p=75701697

Any fans wishing to share high and low points on the show are invited to check out a "Texas" discussion board located at.

http://awfan4ever1975.yuku.com/forums/86/t/Texas.html

"Texas" link

The link is dead now?

Check out this one instead.

It dates from the first few episodes in August 1980. One of the links above takes you to the on-line episodes available for free on the AOL site.

The second theme, which was introduced in 1981, is the more memorable one. Here's hoping someone will add it to You Tube once the AOL episodes reach that stage.

p_up.gif

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
A collection of active Texas clips on You Tube can be found at:

http://awfan4ever1975.yuku.com/topic/5160

Some of the clips feature the second and final theme song, which was later used for commercials in the US by Citibank.

September 18, 2008

Our thoughts and prayers have been with Houston / Galveston residents since Ike came on shore. Here is something to cheer everyone up. It's the second and final theme song from the early 80s soap "Texas," which was set in Houston.

In addition to the second theme song, there is a wealth of new "Texas" material available on You Tube.

User "cfs89" has focused on theme songs and favorite "Texas" wedding moments (Iris & Alex, Reena and Max and Lurlene and Joel).

http://www.youtube.com/user/cfs89

User "hfxmusicman" is loading clips at such a rate that I'm having a hard time keeping up. In addition to adding scenes from the 1981 episodes (e.g. Chris Shaw murder, Dennis' split with Paige, Iris' mourning of Alex and the wedding of Ginny and Ryan), hfxmusicman has added scenes from the final episodes, including the last segment featuring a memorable speech by Vicky (the late, great Elizabeth Allen) and the toast to "Texas" by Justin (Jerry Lanning). The telethon clips also feature the songs "Texas (When I Die)" and "Deep in the Heart of Texas."

http://www.youtube.com/user/hfxmusicman

• 4 months later...

On January 1, 2009, Procter & Gamble (a.k.a. Telenext Productions) announced that it was discontinuing its webcasts of four classic cancelled soaps (Texas, Another World, Search for Tomorrow and Edge of Night) on AOL Video. This did not come as much of a surprise as the AOL site had become increasingly viewer unfriendly.

Two fans are keeping Texas clips alive on You Tube. The most extensive holdings are found at:

http://www.youtube.com/user/hfxmusicman

Another You Tube user has saved opening and closing credits, along with a few lost episodes not aired by AOL.

http://www.youtube.com/user/cfs89

In the end, the AOL airings reached episode 339 of Texas' total of 617. On its Classic Soaps blog, Procter & Gamble has indicated it is searching for a new home to continue presenting these precious holdings. Stay tuned for updates at:

http://www.pgpclassicsoaps.com/

• 6 months later...
  • 12 years later...