Jefe Bar Is Gone

After a month of being shut down, Jefe bar is back!

The new place is called "Jefe steak buffett"

You have to see the sign for yourself. The word BAR was taken down and theres a cheap banner that says STEAK BUFFET

Are you fu--ing kidding me?

We dont have laws to protect this from happening. Im going to start using the word Jefe as an explicative.

Go Jefe yourself.

What the Jefe?! (WTJ)

I saw that last week and was too flabbergasted to even mention it. I've resigned myself to the fact that this is probably going to be a quarterly thing for that location for another year or two, the lamebrain jefe'n owner is going to keep trotting out "angles" for the location, hoping that the so-called newness has a novelty like feel to patrons. He obviously thinks that his customers are that jefe'n dumb.

Anyway... I'm more interested in what becomes of the location across Prairie from Jefe. I'm hoping HR has some scoop that he can share with us soon, because the building and location is great (NW corner of Prairie @ Main, for those of you who are unsure... the remodeled building before you get to Cabo).

Jefe Jefe!

This is the story of houston. Stallones down the street can't open cuz they're stuck in permit hell while this cat gets to open jefe "concepts" at will. Am I hallucinating or is the club quarters hotel open? There's gotta be like only 1 guest staying there. They have the apllication for alcoholics permit posted for a ground floor retail joint. The place will be aptly named "fannin and rusk". I don't know.

Exactly, what do you mean?

You can't post a statement like Houston Retail without presenting some information.  What are they going to do?  Timeframe?  I'm sure the forumers would love to know.

sorry about that. due to the nature of my business i learn about things that are not closed and are still speculation. As much as I would love to share this info with all of you, I have to respect the confidentiality that is requested of me. Ill use better restraint in the future.

sorry about that.  due to the nature of my business i learn about things that are not closed and are still speculation.  As much as I would love to share this info with all of you, I have to respect the confidentiality that is requested of me.  Ill use better restraint in the future.

There's no need for constraint Houston Retail, I love your morsels. Although some of the information you give is limited, it keeps our hope alive that Downtown is actually moving in the right direction for the future. I vote for you to continue with your blind items.

There's no need for constraint Houston Retail, I love your morsels. Although some of the information you give is limited, it keeps our hope alive that Downtown is actually moving in the right direction for the future. I vote for you to continue with your blind items.

Thanks Velvet, I was going to say the same thing. It is enough to know that something positive is happening to keep our hopes alive.

Last night I drove by this disaster of a bar/restaurant and the steak buffet banner is down. Under the existing Jefe sign where it used to say "Bar" they've put up new letters that say "Mex-Grill." So I guess the steak buffet didn't go over too well.

When does this madness end?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

In the proud Houston tradition of not knowing when to admit you don't know what the jefe you are doing, Jefe Bar is back on the thriving Downtown scene!

In the last week or so, Jefe threw open his doors and said, "come on in, Houston! And don't trip on the carpet!" Jefe is serving traditional Tex-Mex, and apparently now understands that he should renew his liquor license if he wants to sell whiskey (the original reason for shutting down).

I haven't been inside, yet, but I'm sure he still charges $7 for a cocktail, since, "Hey, ambience like this don't come cheap!"

• 1 month later...

What's up with the marquee on that Jefe Bar building...it looked like crap when it was the Mexican restaurant before and it still does. Just old rotting wood that's painted silver. First impressions are everything. So I'm not going to bother to set foot in there....makes me wonder if I should expect dirt in my water and mold on my plate of food... :lol:

In the words of Bette Davis: "What...a...dump!"

What's unfortunate is that this building could be a real asset to the Main Street scene. However, it would take vision and plenty of $$$.

I'd like to see the city give some financial incentives to people who restore old builidngs in the Main/Market Square area to their original appearance.

I'd like to see the city give some financial incentives to people who restore old builidngs in the Main/Market Square area to their original appearance.

conroe did something similar to this for it's downtown area several years ago. it seems to have been a success.

• 1 month later...

The re-painting is actually going well. Does wonders for the building, though I'm not altogether sold on the color scheme. If they decide to put an actual sign up to go along with the fascia restoration/paint job, then I'd happily give them all the passes they want.

Still would be suspicious about the quality of the restaurant/bar itself.

Archived