Mystery Ramps on 59 Near Downtown

Every time I drive along 59 Eastex Fwy. in Downtown, I've noticed these two stub ramps near Leeland Street just north of I-45. They appear to merge directly from the median to the left lane both northbound and southbound. Anyone have an idea where these connected to at one time? They look so oddly placed; I find it hard to imagine how they ever connected to anything.

If I remember correctly, one of them used to come from a ramp that came up from Texas (I think) Street.

The more fun of the ramps which were demolished was the East Bound, I-10 Ramp to 59SOUTH bound.

God, I wanted a drink before I hit that ramp. I'd go out of my way to avoid that ramp.

If I remember correctly, one of them used to come from a ramp that came up from Texas (I think) Street.

The more fun of the ramps which were demolished was the East Bound, I-10 Ramp to 59SOUTH bound.

God, I wanted a drink before I hit that ramp. I'd go out of my way to avoid that ramp.

i don't think so. This is too far south. (All remnants of the Texas/Capitol ramps should have been eliminated when they rebuilt 59)

I always assumed these were to provide access to the median for maintenance crews, etc.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=29....p;z=19&om=1

i don't think so. This is too far south. (All remnants of the Texas/Capitol ramps should have been eliminated when they rebuilt 59)

I always assumed these were to provide access to the median for maintenance crews, etc.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=29....p;z=19&om=1

One that always got me was the "exit" to Elysian at the onramp from 59 North to I-10 West. Was there a plan to put in this left exit and then TXDoT decided it wasn't necessary, or is it part of future expansion?

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?f=s&ie=...004989&z=18

(not sure this link will get you there, but it's pretty easy to see if you start at 59 around the GRB and then travel to I-10 West).

Interesting Google Map sighting: The 59 freeway construction before & after is captured nicely on the Map...looks like the 59 SB cars are going to drive right into an unfinished bridge :).

One that always got me was the "exit" to Elysian at the onramp from 59 North to I-10 West. Was there a plan to put in this left exit and then TXDoT decided it wasn't necessary, or is it part of future expansion?

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?f=s&ie=...004989&z=18

(not sure this link will get you there, but it's pretty easy to see if you start at 59 around the GRB and then travel to I-10 West).

Interesting Google Map sighting: The 59 freeway construction before & after is captured nicely on the Map...looks like the 59 SB cars are going to drive right into an unfinished bridge :).

I think that one might be where the Hardy Toll Road extension will tie in.

I think that one might be where the Hardy Toll Road extension will tie in.

I think you are correct, and that was the answer I got when I started a similar thread earlier this year, but as travel_guy points out, the sign does say Elysian exit.

I always wonder why the sign was errected, then blocked out if it was intended for the Hardy Toll road.

Every time I drive along 59 Eastex Fwy. in Downtown, I've noticed these two stub ramps near Leeland Street just north of I-45. They appear to merge directly from the median to the left lane both northbound and southbound. Anyone have an idea where these connected to at one time? They look so oddly placed; I find it hard to imagine how they ever connected to anything.

I believe that was a crossover point during construction. Northbound and Southbound traffic shared the same side and they had to get cars back to the other side so they build that stub as you refer to it.

Just a quick history note. When 59 was originally constructed there were two stub ramps on the nothbound lanes near present day "Minute Maid Park" for the future 'Harrisburg Freeway" connection. These stubs were eliminated when the freeway was reconstructed recently. Funny how history repreats itself.

I believe that was a crossover point during construction. Northbound and Southbound traffic shared the same side and they had to get cars back to the other side so they build that stub as you refer to it.

Sorry to be a Johnny Come Lately, but I'm not quite sure that's the answer. I don't think Northbound and Southbound traffic have never shared the same side on that stretch of highway, at least in the depressed section. And those stubs are concrete pavement. When TxDOT puts down those temporary median crossings like that, they're always asphalt. I believe the previous answer of it being a service way for maintainence crews is correct. I've travelled by them frequently and I've seen work crews opening the gates to cut the grass median behind the guardrails and do other sorts of work.

Sorry to be a Johnny Come Lately, but I'm not quite sure that's the answer. I don't think Northbound and Southbound traffic have never shared the same side on that stretch of highway, at least in the depressed section. And those stubs are concrete pavement. When TxDOT puts down those temporary median crossings like that, they're always asphalt. I believe the previous answer of it being a service way for maintainence crews is correct. I've travelled by them frequently and I've seen work crews opening the gates to cut the grass median behind the guardrails and do other sorts of work.

The Ones in the depressed section are for maitnence of some sort, or maybe storage. Ask Maxconcrete he would know for sure.