Chicago style deep-dish pizza in Houston?

My wife and I are going crazy trying to find a place to get a good, authentic Chicago style deep-dish pizza in Houston. Any suggestions?

I know what you're thinking already. "Star Pizza is known for their Chicago style." Nope. I like Star Pizza just fine, and while their self-proclaimed "Chicago style deep dish pizza" tastes OK, it's NOT the real deal. Neither is Candalari's. They're both just a thick-crust pan pizza, pretty much the same thing you could get at Domino's or Papa John's, with a little bit of sauce thrown on top. Please note: I'm not saying that Domino's or Papa John's is necessarily as good as Star Pizza, just saying that Star's authenticity is lacking to me.

For those of you from Chicago, or who visit there often, I'm talking about the kind of pizza you get at Gino's East (deep dish), or Giordano's or Nancy's (which is stuffed deep dish, which includes a thin layer of crust on top right below the sauce). Mangia Pizza in Austin also has an authentic Chicago style deep-dish stuffed pizza, which is well worth the weekend drive.

Here's a link to a page on the Mangia website, where you can see clearly what we're looking for:

http://www.mangiapizza.com/4/Menu.html

As you can see, unlike what you get at Star, the crust on an authentic Chicago style isn't necessarily all that thick--there's just a lot of stuff piled on there. I think most pizzas like this are actually baked in cake pans.

So, is there anyplace in or around Houston to get something like this? Or are my wife and I going to have to learn to make this ourselves? Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

You can have Lou Malnati's FedEx you some pizza. I've been doing it since 1994. Wherever I live across the country I'm always able to get Malnati's.

The pizza travels surprisingly well. It's the same Malnati pizza packs you get from Peapod. Just put them in the oven and follow the directions and it tastes and feels exactly like the real thing. The sausage is the best.

I think the number is 800-LOUS-TO-GO, but you can also order on the internet.

They'll also ship Eli's cheesecake, Carson's ribs, Vienna Beef, and other Chicago staples, but I haven't tried them long-distance, so I don't know how good those come through the mail.

You can have Lou Malnati's FedEx you some pizza. I've been doing it since 1994. Wherever I live across the country I'm always able to get Malnati's.

The pizza travels surprisingly well. It's the same Malnati pizza packs you get from Peapod. Just put them in the oven and follow the directions and it tastes and feels exactly like the real thing. The sausage is the best.

I think the number is 800-LOUS-TO-GO, but you can also order on the internet.

They'll also ship Eli's cheesecake, Carson's ribs, Vienna Beef, and other Chicago staples, but I haven't tried them long-distance, so I don't know how good those come through the mail.

I kind of like that 800-LOUS-TO-GO idea, sort of sounds like The Capo will deliver direct to ya door. If-ya- know-wadda-mean. :ph34r:

The prices are probably like an offer-ya-can't-refuse.

Santo cielo! Mi amico! Buona fortuna!

The best deep dish pizza I've had in Houston was in my kitchen about 2 hours after FedEx dropped off the package from Tastes of Chicago. Malnati's pizza is known for its buttery crust from what we read on line and it was good. I'm just not a deep dish fan and we haven't ordered again, although I do think of that crust.

We also got a hot dog pack and they were the best Chicago style dogs I've had in Houston. Pizza by itself was kind of steep but we figured with the hot dog pack added, we were getting the dogs for about $3 each which is not a bad price. But I prefer chili cheese dogs or NY style dogs with mustard and kraut over Chicago style.

Now I've just learned about this place: Baby Leita's Pizza. Haven't been. Maybe some Haifers have and can report.

You might want to give "Barry's Pizza" a shot

LOTS of people rave about it, but I always just thought it was "OK" pizza, personally.

While I enjoy Chicago style pizza, I think I've been leaning towards New York style, so I'm not a good recommender of that particular (deep) dish.

You might want to give "Barry's Pizza" a shot

LOTS of people rave about it, but I always just thought it was "OK" pizza, personally.

While I enjoy Chicago style pizza, I think I've been leaning towards New York style, so I'm not a good recommender of that particular (deep) dish.

I haven't ate Barry's Pizza in years but remember it was out of this world! Must have been great for me to recall the taste and aroma..ooooohhhhh. It's too early and I'm drinking Slim-fast.

The Mario's Pizza in Clear lake used to be the ultimate delicious pizza ever, but it swapped owners years ago and went downhill since. They used to stack it up high with the supreme pizza. A grown man could only eat about 3 huge slices and throw in the towel.

I miss original Mario's real Italiano Pizza!

My wife and I tried Baby Leita's in Cypress a few weeks ago. The pizza was O.K., but not even close to a good Chicago style pizza. It's definitely not worth a special trip.

Barry's on the other hand is the closest I've found to a traditional Chicago style pizza (I grew up in the midwest and frequented Chicago). We are big fans of their pizza. We frequently make the trek from Cypress into the Galleria for their pies. Outstanding crust, great cheese and toppings, and red sauce on top. MMMMMM!

I've tried Baby Leita's one time, and really enjoyed the Chicago-style deep dish pizza. I have not tried Barry's, so I can not compare, but BL is worth a try. Regettably, the atmosphere is strictly strip-mall - I saw a lot of take-out orders go out the door while we were waiting for our dine-in deep dish. Like all true deep-dish pizzas, it took a long time to cook, so I understand the take-out preference.

I kind of like that 800-LOUS-TO-GO idea, sort of sounds like The Capo will deliver direct to ya door. If-ya- know-wadda-mean. :ph34r:

The prices are probably like an offer-ya-can't-refuse.

When you factor in the fact that you don't have to tip the FedEx guy, the price is pretty close to the same as it would be if you had it delivered locally.

• 5 weeks later...

Baby Leita's Pizza is the real deal, for Chicago Deep Dish, and thin crust. The owner is from Chi town. They have had nothing but great reviews, and I agree with all of them. I have tried Star Pizza, and being from Chicago myself, that did not cut it for me. Go try Baby Leita's I don't think you will be disapointed. They are in Cypress just south of 290 W. They are a BYOB too.

Well, the wife and I have tried a couple of pizza places in the last few weeks. First, we took a drive up to Cypress and Baby Leita's. While it is more authentic than what you get at Star, unfortunately it just didn't taste all that good. The crust was waaaaaaay too buttery and the cheese was runny. I'm picky, I know, and maybe we'll give it another try sometime. But for now, Baby Leita's gets an unenthusiastic shrug of the shoulders from me.

Then we tried Barry's this past weekend. I gotta say, while it's not exactly authentic Chicago-style, their thick-crust Sicilian was for me the best overall pizza I've had in Houston. If I can't buy a real Chicago-style deep-dish pie, Barry's Sicilian will definitely tide me over until my next trip to Austin or Chicago!

• 1 month later...

There is a new place on Airline, between N. Main and Cavalcade called something like "Italian Beef Sandwich shop" or something like that. They have really good Gyros and sandwiches, the good fresh cut fries, etc. When we were leaving the lady behind the counter told us they were getting a pizza oven & would be serving genuine Chicago style pizzas. She really emphasized the genuine part, guess we will see soon.

You might check them out when they get that part going.

There is a new place on Airline, between N. Main and Cavalcade called something like "Italian Beef Sandwich shop" or something like that. They have really good Gyros and sandwiches, the good fresh cut fries, etc.

That's Chicago Italian Beef. It's on Airline just south of Cavalcade. I've been there twice so far, and had an Italian Beef sandwich and a gyro. The sandwiches were pretty good, but the fresh-cut fries are awesome, and they give you a ton of them. Quite refreshing considering the "fries" at most places have more cornstarch than potato content. All the sandwiches come with fries, I think, even though it doesn't say so on the menu.

I hope the place makes it. While it is not some sort of "fine dining" experience or anything, yes the fries are awesome and the portions are good. The Lindale/Sunset Heights/Heights/Garden Oaks area needs all the dining options it can get. When they start the pizzas they are also going to do delivery.

• 4 months later...

* UPDATE * - Candelari's (at all locations, as far as I know) now serves a fairly authentic, Chicago-style deep-dish pizza pie! It's called the "Wrigley Pie."

Toppings include sausage, mushrooms, spinach, and sliced tomatoes (the tomatoes are on top of the sauce, the way they serve it at Gino's East in Chicago). Not quite up to Mangia or Giordano levels, but very good nonetheless. For the moment, it's by far and away the best, most authentic Chiacgo-style pizza in Houston!

Archived