Dreadlocks in the workplace

lockmat

I would imagine so. For example (and yes, I realize it's a baseball team but it still holds, I think), the Cincinnati Reds have a club policy against facial hair (outside of eyebrows and lashes, of course). You're not allowed a moustache, goatee, sideburns, etc.

I imagine if its contract employment, such stipulations might be written into your contract. If I'm wrong, our resident lawyers will certainly set me straight.

You're not far off.

EVERY industry/career has a "dress code" or some form of demeanor.

IT for example, is fairly relaxed. Usually this crop of people have are a motley crew of personalities and dressing styles.

One of the more extreme styles are bankers, believe it or not.

At one point, Texas Commerce Bank (Now defunct) had rules not only governing WHAT to wear, but what colors were permissable as well as what the material was made from! I'm talking 60/40 wool/cotton blend, etc. Those below a certain run on the ladder couldn't wear some items. Believe it or not, I had friends that constantly complained about working for that bank.

Engineers are an odd breed (no offense to you engineers out there), but depending on what discipline you are; they have their own "uniform" when it comes to dress and behavior...this will change depending on the individual managers, though.

odd "appearances" can be tolerated if you are applying for a certain level after a certain amount of years in a career.

In short: get the dreads later.

Lockmat, I say wear your hair as you please.

More African Americans need to adopt this hair style instead of trying to conform to the unnatural eurocentric styles that I see my people struggle with, especially women. If more people wore the style it would not seem so odd and would be just another way to wear our hair. Not so long ago braids were unacceptable in the workplace now many women sport these styles.

My locks have never been a problem for me, yes some people comment about them but not necessarily in a negative way. My job brings me into contact with many different people on a daily basis. I am in healthcare and earn a six figure salary, I've never had any significant problems worth mentioning. I interviewed for my current job with my locks in place (6years ago). In fact I think my locks are an asset - I'm not afraid to be different and they give me a certain self confidence. My dreads are shoulder length and well groomed. I choose to refer to them as locks and not dreadlocks because there is nothing dreadful about them. I take pride in my locks they are a statement of who I am, suprisingly many people respect that. I must say it will depend on how you carry yourself once you have them, If you are embrassed by them and feel you need to apologize for them people will give you a hard time.

Wear your Locks with pride my Brother!

But not if it's against some company code. Do business have codes against hair styles?

Sometimes. We got a new president at work, and were told that we cannot wear jeans any longer on Fridays, even though it was a long-established trend before.

I asked someone in HR if this was a written policy, and they told me it wasn't written anywhere what we could or could not wear.

That said, sometimes company codes are implied or stated, verbally or written. It is a very slippery slope.

Lockmat, I say wear your hair as you please.

More African Americans need to adopt this hair style instead of trying to conform to the unnatural eurocentric styles that I see my people struggle with, especially women. If more people wore the style it would not seem so odd and would be just another way to wear our hair. Not so long ago braids were unacceptable in the workplace now many women sport these styles.

My locks have never been a problem for me, yes some people comment about them but not necessarily in a negative way. My job brings me into contact with many different people on a daily basis. I am in healthcare and earn a six figure salary, I've never had any significant problems worth mentioning. I interviewed for my current job with my locks in place (6years ago). In fact I think my locks are an asset - I'm not afraid to be different and they give me a certain self confidence. My dreads are shoulder length and well groomed. I choose to refer to them as locks and not dreadlocks because there is nothing dreadful about them. I take pride in my locks they are a statement of who I am, suprisingly many people respect that. I must say it will depend on how you carry yourself once you have them, If you are embrassed by them and feel you need to apologize for them people will give you a hard time.

Wear your Locks with pride my Brother!

As an African American professional woman, 2Ezze, I couldn't agree more with you more. I have been wearing natural hair styles for as long as I can remember and have absolutely no intention of going back. Not only were braids not acceptable not too long ago, before that the Afro, even one that was neatly coiffed, was frowned upon. Although I knew lockmart wasn't African American, I said the same thing in my post all the while acknowledging that most of the other posters would disagree with my point of view. It's heartening to learn that not everyone feels the need to "conform to unnatural eurocentric styles". Someone, I can't remember who, has the statement, "Houston be yourself" at the bottom of his/her posts. In my view, this also applies to people.

As an African American professional woman, 2Ezze, I couldn't agree more with you more. I have been wearing natural hair styles for as long as I can remember and have absolutely no intention of going back. Not only were braids not acceptable not too long ago, before that the Afro, even one that was neatly coiffed, was frowned upon. Although I knew lockmart wasn't African American, I said the same thing in my post all the while acknowledging that most of the other posters would disagree with my point of view. It's heartening to learn that not everyone feels the need to "conform to unnatural eurocentric styles". Someone, I can't remember who, has the statement, "Houston be yourself" at the bottom of his/her posts. In my view, this also applies to people.

While I understand your viewpoint, it's a matter of different professional prejudices. What started the entire thing was that he was STARTING his dreads. If they were previously established, I don't think he would necessarily have a problem. But being a young person, it's hard to get your foot in the door anyway. That's why I empathized that he waits until he gets the job before he gets/starts the dreads.

Sorta' like a guy that wants to start a new beard at the same time he's job hunting. He will look like a bum who hasn't shaved for days. Once he gets the job and gets established, it would THEN be wiser to get the beard, or simply get the beard established before he gets the job.

But again, its always best to see what the rest of the environment is like before you go rushing into your new style. Some styles aren't that great looking once you start. Like my failed attempt at a Mullet back in the late 80's.

That's all I'm going to say on THAT matter.

Sometimes. We got a new president at work, and were told that we cannot wear jeans any longer on Fridays, even though it was a long-established trend before.

I asked someone in HR if this was a written policy, and they told me it wasn't written anywhere what we could or could not wear.

That said, sometimes company codes are implied or stated, verbally or written. It is a very slippery slope.

concur. a former boss also started an unofficial policy of no jeans. someone pressed the issue with HR and HR responded to the boss and said there is no dress code. if there was then, there must be a clothing allowance and they didn't want to go there. the complainee was transferred btw.

Guest Marty
Some styles aren't that great looking once you start. Like my failed attempt at a Mullet back in the late 80's.

I had the same problem so i just keep it short. I used this barber once :)

4kkvi3c.jpg

concur. a former boss also started an unofficial policy of no jeans. someone pressed the issue with HR and HR responded to the boss and said there is no dress code. if there was then, there must be a clothing allowance and they didn't want to go there. the complainee was transferred btw.

Yeah, I kept my mouth shut. I like Friday jeans, but not willing to get into a tug o' war with the president over it.

millennica and ricco, I agree w/ you both. Not that y'all were in disagreement anyway.

It's probably wiser for me to wait to get them until I get a job. Since I'm not black, I don't have to worry about whether or not I'm conforming to a euro-centric style since I don't have to put hair product in to look like it. I am it. But I must say, I don't like going against the grain just for the sake of it, but since I do intend to get the dreads, I look forward to breaking everyone's prejudices and misconceptions. I hate the idea of me having to get really short hair just b/c it'll get me a better position. My hair is changing, not my values or characteristics.

I hate the idea of me having to get really short hair just b/c it'll get me a better position.
so why do you have to get "really short hair"? i think you have many options that most employers would have no problem with.

millennica and ricco, I agree w/ you both. Not that y'all were in disagreement anyway.

It's probably wiser for me to wait to get them until I get a job. Since I'm not black, I don't have to worry about whether or not I'm conforming to a euro-centric style since I don't have to put hair product in to look like it. I am it. But I must say, I don't like going against the grain just for the sake of it, but since I do intend to get the dreads, I look forward to breaking everyone's prejudices and misconceptions. I hate the idea of me having to get really short hair just b/c it'll get me a better position. My hair is changing, not my values or characteristics.

OH yeah, get a number 4, and a number 2 and you're golden. :)

Getting a haircut isn't that big of a deal, just keep it neat. but starting a new hairstyle that's going to look bad in the beginning is just a totally different matter.

Then again,i never got served by someone in a bank that looked like a member of the Taliban.

I DID meet someone who worked in the hospital that LOOKED like a Taliban. Go fig.

While I understand your viewpoint, it's a matter of different professional prejudices. What started the entire thing was that he was STARTING his dreads. If they were previously established, I don't think he would necessarily have a problem. But being a young person, it's hard to get your foot in the door anyway. That's why I empathized that he waits until he gets the job before he gets/starts the dreads.

Sorta' like a guy that wants to start a new beard at the same time he's job hunting. He will look like a bum who hasn't shaved for days. Once he gets the job and gets established, it would THEN be wiser to get the beard, or simply get the beard established before he gets the job.

But again, its always best to see what the rest of the environment is like before you go rushing into your new style. Some styles aren't that great looking once you start. Like my failed attempt at a Mullet back in the late 80's.

Even before you explained your position in this post, I understood your point of view along with those of the others who share it. Believe it or not, I am not so dense as not to understand what you are saying. The intent in posting my point of view was not to try and convince lockmat or anyone else to change what they might do; it was only to express the way I see this particular issue. I fully expected lockmat to be practical and do what makes sense to get and keep his job.

It's just not what I would do nor what I would (or did) encourage members of my nuclear family members to do. I realize, of course, that I (and they) have been extremely fortunate in having worked or decided not to work in settings where one's hairstyle is important to getting a position, getting a promotion, and/or keeping the job. Like you, that's all I am going to say on that matter.

Just be clear: you won't be breaking anyone's misconceptions and/or prejudices about you by wearing dreadlocks. Doesn't mater whether you're Black or not. The simple fact that you wear them is sufficient for everyone to make a guess about you.

Get a high and tight and fuggehhtabodit. Focus on the important stuff rather than your friggin' hair.

You're 'a guy right? Sheesh.

Archived