HISD Reform We Need A Special Prosecutor

Toggle3

WE pay too much in taxes for a school district that is ineffective.

WE don't get accountability, only lies and vague promises.

WE look at that glass monstrosity on 18th Street and cringe.

When will Houstonians finally get fed up and say "I'm not going to take it anymore!" when it comes to the substandard school district that is HISD? Other districts across the nation--with the same demographics and same problems--are just doing better.

They aren't hiring ACP teachers. They're hiring teachers with Master's degrees in Education!

They aren't top heavy with overpaid administrators. They're lean machines with a positive culture.

They aren't wasting (or mismanaging) money. They're offering decent salaries w/o unethical incentive pay.

How can HISD be reformed?

When will Houstonians finally get fed up and say "I'm not going to take it anymore!" when it comes to the substandard school district that is HISD? Other districts across the nation--with the same demographics and same problems--are just doing better.

They aren't hiring ACP teachers. They're hiring teachers with Master's degrees in Education!

They aren't top heavy with overpaid administrators. They're lean machines with a positive culture.

They aren't wasting (or mismanaging) money. They're offering decent salaries w/o unethical incentive pay.

You must not be a taxpayer. Otherwise, you'd know that HISD has the LOWEST tax rate in the metro area.

That glass monstrosity on 18th Street was built on land already owned by HISD (cost $0) with proceeds from the sale of their Admin bldg. on Richmond (sale $39 million). Net cost was $0. How much better than free can you get?

Perhaps you would like it better in Cy-Fair ISD. The ethical and hard working administrators there build "value engineered" football stadiums for $80 million. Their next bond election will give them a tax rate of $1.71...16% HIGHER than HISD.

Amen! Amen! Amen.

Just wondering. What prompted this post?

Toogle, I agree that HISD has some problems, but I disagree with some of your statements.

The new administration building was needed, as the old one was inefficient and more of a waste of taxpayer money. Read about the "Taj Mahal" here: http://search.chron.com/chronicle/openDocu...edPath=Archives

The new admin building is plain-Jane compared to the old one - I visited the old one several times (to take a course on American Sign Language - which my mom and I didn't complete).

"When will Houstonians finally get fed up and say "I'm not going to take it anymore!" when it comes to the substandard school district that is HISD? Other districts across the nation--with the same demographics and same problems--are just doing better. "

Which districts? Which problems? You need proof in order to make this statement.

Unethical? Really? How so?

HISD gives merit pay now. Teachers whose students show improvement get more money. Sounds good doesn't it? Very corporate business model, reward those who are doing good work----until you realize the corruption behind this policy.

Here's just a few examples of happened last year in HISD with the new system:

--- $7,000 in merit pay was given to a first year science teacher who was teaching math. (She wasn't even certified to teach math in violation of state law but that's a whole other barrel of monkeys). The kids' math scores in her class were higher than anyone other math teacher on her campus! She must have been good right? It was incredible; incredibly unethical.

The roster in her class had been modified by the principal: all the ESL students were reassigned from her to other teachers; every SPED kid was removed (a violation of federal law) and any kid displaying a "behavior problem" was also reassigned to a different teacher. She now had the smallest class on the entire campus with specially selected kids who were assigned math class twice a day with a tutor to help. She was a better teacher? No, she was a favored teacher in a corrupt system.

---On another HISD campus, teachers with rosters ofclasses filled with only Gifted & Talented kids were given $3000-$5000 each simply for showing up and being assigned as those kids teacher. G/T kids score high regardless of the teacher. Sounds fair doesn't it?

---Several principals in HISD, who never even taught students, received $30,000 in merit pay each! 30 grand. Taxpayer money.

Of course, the merit pay is given to HISD police officers as well. Go figure.

Here's just a few examples of happened last year in HISD with the new system:

Those are certainly some good examples of corruption within the merit pay system. However, I wonder if these 3 examples accurately represent the entire system, or are simply situations where a couple individuals were able to take advantage of loopholes. Abuse is everywhere, and less than savory individuals will always take advantage of a system, regardless of how well implemented it is.

What about educators who receive the same pay as someone who does half the work? Someone who does not care how well their students perform, versus a teacher that goes way above and beyond to make sure their pupils succeed?

If not merit pay, what would be a pleasing solution for you?

Those are certainly some good examples of corruption within the merit pay system. However, I wonder if these 3 examples accurately represent the entire system, or are simply situations where a couple individuals were able to take advantage of loopholes. Abuse is everywhere, and less than savory individuals will always take advantage of a system, regardless of how well implemented it is.

Coruption within HISD is systemic and cultural. My examples are not "loopholes" that were abused by individuals but rather a systemic pratice that is the merit pay system!

The HISD policy of merit pay is actually set up to pay principals ten of thousands of dollars! It's codified as part of HISD procedures and is now accepted as the proper way to spend tax money...they don't consider it abuse; it's just new policy!

Coruption within HISD is systemic and cultural. My examples are not "loopholes" that were abused by individuals but rather a systemic pratice that is the merit pay system!

The HISD policy of merit pay is actually set up to pay principals ten of thousands of dollars! It's codified as part of HISD procedures and is now accepted as the proper way to spend tax money...they don't consider it abuse; it's just new policy!

So, do you have any proof of the teacher merit pay programs being used to increase principal salaries? I remembered my P. E. Coach handing flyers complaining about pay of various principal administrators at schools. I have not heard that merit pay is being used to increase pay of principals.

Now, I know this sounds strange, but when making a claim, it may be a good idea to find supporting evidence (maybe a news article about merit pay being used to increase principal salaries? An HISD document showing principal salaries? Something?)

If you want to assert that this corruption is allowed and encouraged in HISD, you have to give the other members of this forum proof.

So, do you have any proof of the teacher merit pay programs being used to increase principal salaries? I remembered my P. E. Coach handing flyers complaining about pay of various principal administrators at schools. I have not heard that merit pay is being used to increase pay of principals.

Now, I know this sounds strange, but when making a claim, it may be a good idea to find supporting evidence (maybe a news article about merit pay being used to increase principal salaries? An HISD document showing principal salaries? Something?)

Vic are you going after Marvin Zindler's job?

I can see you certainly believe the merit system to be corrupt and inefficient, and are passionate about it, however perception is not necessarily reality. Nor am I saying you're wrong. If you are to make a claim though, supporting evidence (not hearsay) would certainly bolster your stance.

Also, as previously asked; what do you believe an acceptable solution to be?

I can see you certainly believe the merit system to be corrupt and inefficient, and are passionate about it, however perception is not necessarily reality. Nor am I saying you're wrong. If you are to make a claim though, supporting evidence (not hearsay) would certainly bolster your stance.

Also, as previously asked; what do you believe an acceptable solution to be?

Excellent condescension. Mother Superior couldn't have done it better.

I've seen HISD corruption up close and personal. It's not a stance.

You and Vic need to get together and apply for Marvin's job so you can uncover the proof; make sure to look through all the deleted emails. Not everything that's true can have a cute little URL attached as so-called evidence.

The solution to corruption is _______________________.

Depends on your politics kiddo.

The problem, Toggle, is that many people do not operate on a "guilty until proven innocent" stance - they operate on an "innocent until proven guilty" stance. This is why evidence is needed.

You and Vic need to get together and apply for Marvin's job so you can uncover the proof; make sure to look through all the deleted emails. Not everything that's true can have a cute little URL attached as so-called evidence.

This is why evidence is needed.

You're being tedious Vic. I'm giving you evidence. Testimony. You choose not to believe it, your choice, but don't be naive to think, in an age of reprisal and witch hunts, that I'm going to post, whistleblow with specificity, in a pubic forum no less, anything leading back to me.

And FYI, shouting evidence, evidence is silly. The amount of evidence --if actually given to you for some of these threads--- would be overwhelmeing and shut down the servers! Don't dismiss truth because it doesn't fit your preconceived ideas or because you don't know enough about it.

HISD is a financially corrupt. HISD is a sub-standard school district that needs oversight and outside intervention. There are administartors working there that need to be taken out of the glass house in hand cuffs.

Toggle: What I have is hearsay. I have no documents, no news articles, etc. stating that intense, major corruption is the agent that seriously harms the student performance of HISD's schools.

I can say that corruption harms North Forest ISD's student performance. I can say so with confidence because the Houston Chronicle says so:

* http://search.chron.com/chronicle/openDocu...edPath=Archives

See what Patty Pinckley has to say about her technology applications class

And other sources state that NFISD is seriously plagued with corruption:

The Dallas Morning News says so:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...n2.42623f4.html

* And this article compares NFISD to the good ol' Wilmer-Hutchins Independent School District. Dallas-area residents cringe at WHISD and its failures.

Oh, wait KHOU says so too: http://www.khou.com/news/local/education/s...d.be19b635.html

And don't forget ABC13: http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=...&id=5521318

If you want to prove to us that your thesis (as I described above) is true, you will have to go to the press.

The problem, Toggle, is that many people do not operate on a "guilty until proven innocent" stance - they operate on an "innocent until proven guilty" stance. This is why evidence is needed.

Vic this reminds me of the hisd needs 1 billion thread where you've given no evidence to the "dire" conditions of the gregory lincoln school. ;)

But yeah, "Trust me, I know what I'm talking about" is a great way to rally the troops. :rolleyes:

Vic this reminds me of the hisd needs 1 billion thread where you've given no evidence to the "dire" conditions of the gregory lincoln school. ;)

Except that I knew that the "dire" conditions are just a suspicion. I haven't seen the inside of the campus, so I do not know for sure.

Except that I knew that the "dire" conditions are just a suspicion. I haven't seen the inside of the campus, so I do not know for sure.

EXACTLY no evidence whatsoever.

I'll quote you..... If you want to prove to us that your thesis (as I described above) is true, you will have to go to the press. <_<;)

• The title was changed to HISD Reform We Need A Special Prosecutor

Archived