Morrissey at Record Rack 07/1992

MidtownCoog

What a flashback to my UH days! I was a Record Rack Regular. I wonder what Bruce is up to these days?

I love the guys with the Vanilla Ice haircuts crying. They had to be wiggin!

And all the old Houston's radio and TV personalities. They sound arse-backwards, especially Steve Smith.

That is hilarious! I also remember that event.

But it failed to show the most famous broadcast of one girl who was so excited about meeting Morrissy she broke into a trembling kniption.

Fun to see Steve Smith and Claire Cassedemonte again as well. How about Mel Lawson's duco job?

I liked Record Rack but there was a better record store down on Westhiemer near where that "antiques" ghetto is, the name of which escapes me.

Does anyone rember the record shop on the curve? It was in a little building. It may be a locksmith now.

It was ran by this old yankee guy and his wife. They were a trip.

wasn't it Infinity Records?

Really, I know of Morrisey, but was he really ever that popular, I thought when he was with the Smith he was better. I loved "How Soon is Now?"

"We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful". . . please, that song was beyond cheesey.

Record Rack was another great place killed by Napster. I miss the joint!

I liked Record Rack but there was a better record store down on Westhiemer near where that "antiques" ghetto is, the name of which escapes me.

That was Sound Exchange. It moved to 1846 Richmond. I spent a lot of money there as a teen!

It was Infinity. That place was great for ZYX and PIAS 12".

And for the record, Record Rack was not killed by Napster. Record Rack was killed becuase the music and the scene changed.

There were dozens of cool place for dance music in the last 80s and early 90s.

Anybody remember NooBeat records? It was at Yoakum and Westheimer. They always had the hard to find German stuff.

I remember seeing this 12" there once for $250.00.

it was 'infinite records' - that was where i spent the most money on records, for sure. i went to that morrissey show in nov '92, so how do i not even remember this event? and why on earth did it make the local news? nothing else going on in houston that day? sooo funny.

Guest Marty
It was Infinity. That place was great for ZYX and PIAS 12".

And for the record, Record Rack was not killed by Napster. Record Rack was killed becuase the music and the scene changed.

There were dozens of cool place for dance music in the last 80s and early 90s.

Anybody remember NooBeat records? It was at Yoakum and Westheimer. They always had the hard to find German stuff.

I remember seeing this 12" there once for $250.00.

I been trying to find out who did this song for the last 5 years my quest is finally finished. One of the best songs every made from that era.

I have that song on red 12" vinyl. One of the gems of my collection. It was a trip to see 12"s like that one, Dominatrix, Dont' Walk, The Gun and a few others spike into the 100s of dollars. Houston had to be up there with Antwerp with the number of cool records shops back then.

I only liked Morrisey's first solo CD. Like poetry in real life, my fave Smith's album was their last.

So who wants to trade mixed tapes {CDs}? I have some good and rare stuff from back then.

Really, I know of Morrisey, but was he really ever that popular, I thought when he was with the Smith he was better. I loved "How Soon is Now?"

The Smith's were quite the rage especially when played at places like Number's circa 1982. Then Morrisey continued his success after they disbanded. His videos still play at Number's on rare occasion or if requested only on 80's night. I asummed he was a Brit but I think he is really Scottish? Wiki should tell. I still have the 1st Smith's album stored in my New Wave vault somewhere. My understanding was that majority of the Smith's/Morrisey hardcore follower's were predominately male. Need not explain. :)

Ursh, more PETA nonsense. Look at old Morrissey, he looks like a proper old English gent these days.

Hey, MidtownCoog, got any Toronto ("Your Daddy Don't Know")? Maybe something from Gina (GoGos drummer) Schock's solo album?

Guest Marty

I always love it when a true passionate gets in the face of Madonna,

btw; I had a purple Purple Rain 45 and a yellow 45 that I can't remember who was the artist was but all of my 80's/90's records got jacked but they left two 3, 33 rpm Woodstock concert record still in the original cellophane...

I always love it when a true passionate gets in the face of Madonna,

ME TOO!!!!

btw; I had a purple Purple Rain 45 and a yellow 45 that I can't remember who was the artist was but all of my 80's/90's

"Brand new Dance Its called "The Bird" - The Time or something insane like that? Where's Appelonia? :lol:

Under a Cherry Moon?

No Toronto or Gina in my collection. Now I'm going to have to go looking.

That was what was so fun about the days of the rare LPs. The hunt!

Buying music over the Web is BORING.

Amen!

I used to love thumbing through the records looking for a Juke Boy Bonner album or something by Post Office Box Smith. I know you must have gone down to Don's Record Shop in Bellaire.

Archived