Historic Houston Bands And Orchestras

Vertigo58

The Coliseum & Music Hall must have been new in these days? The exact dates were mentioned somewhere in Haif. I know Mom said she saw Sinatra twice at Coliseum. Other music notables were at places like the local big dance halls, The Aragon etc. Popular names like famous drummer Gene Krupa and Trumpeter Harry James played at Coliseum and or Rice Hotel. The Shamrock also attracted famous bands and film/radio stars of course. Just think there are people out there somewhere that have interior photos or filming of these events! but where are they? Most of this generation is slowly vanishing.

A couple of labels from my old 78 collection. Click on thumbnails.

th_RecordKrupa.jpg

th_RecordJames.jpg

A couple of labels from my old 78 collection.

That is just too cool! I have to ask mom what year she saw Krupa and his band here. It was rumoured he was a pot smoker hence his fueled drum playing frenzy. :o I need to ask her where she saw Harry James play as well. I just have to insert a scene of that era not Houston but still neat just the same.

1939_Jitterbug_Dance_Palladium_LA-318x245.pngU533544ACME.jpgBE085912.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Sort of a related item - When I was a kid at Freeman Elementary (Pasadena) in the mid 1960's there was a girl who played in the 'Texas Hotshots'. The Hotshots were an all accordian band, and a couple times she brought her accordian to school and played for us. I remember a picture she had of the group, and as I recall, about 20 kids played in the Texas Hotshots. They even wore matching uniforms.

Can't believe I remembered that....

I have always wondered if any of the big name dance bands of the '40s ever stopped in Houston...

Yes, all of them. Ellington, Goodman, et al. all played in Houston in their heyday. By no means was it considered "too small a market." Documentation is scant, though.

If any of the famous bands played here, where did they perform? Rice Hotel Roof Garden? Sylvan Beach Pavilion?

Typically the national bands played at the old City Auditorium.

Great pic!

What was the name of this orchestra? And who is who?

This topic could occupy hundreds of posts...

So far I've posted 176 photos from my collection of Texas string bands and orchestras 1930s-1950s (including many Houston groups) on Flicker, in case anyone's interested:

http://flickr.com/photos/30643196@N00/

Don Julio - great photos on your Flickr site!!! Thanks for posting here and on Flickr. I hope you're still loggin in here and will keep contributing. Great stuff!! B)

Yes, all of them. Ellington, Goodman, et al. all played in Houston in their heyday. By no means was it considered "too small a market." Documentation is scant, though.

Typically the national bands played at the old City Auditorium.

I asked mom again about where they saw Harry James play and she said the old City Auditorium! :D He was wearing a white dinner type jacket that was then very popular and now again popular. $ was hard to come around in those times so when you saved enough you really appreciated what all the rage was all about!

The Houston Informer is an excellent repository for the city's buried musical past. There are lots of ads and articles on national bands touring through Houston, local bands, etc. I'll post a few ads I've scanned over the years.

Announcing The Cotton Club -- "Houston's Newest and Gayest Night Club." Located on Lyons Ave at Hill in the Fifth Ward. This ad was printed in the Informer on October 24, 1936.

Boots and his Buddies were a jazz group from San Antonio.

informerbootsoct24362kf1.jpg

Here's a typical "Entertainment" ad column from the mid-1940s Informer. This example is dated September 8, 1945. WWII had just ended.

El Dorado (sic) Ballroom - The Eldorado Express Orchestra

Sam Houston Coliseum - "Blip" Thompkins and his 19-piece Orch.

Blue Room Night Club (4606 Market Street in the southern part of the Fifth Ward) - I.H. Smalley's Ork Featuring Inez Newell

informerblueroomihsseptic2.jpg

Sid's Ranche (sic) and Night Club was owned by Sid and Mattye Hilliard at 8400 Yale. This would be where I-45 North and West Gulf Bank are today...in the vicinity of Acres Homes. This place is not mentioned much today but much have been a jumping nite spot for most of the '40s and early '50s.

This ad is significant because it is the first time Amos Milburn was advertised...perhaps his earliest 'pro' gigs were here?

Amos would soon become a huge star with records like "Bewildered," "Chicken Shack Boogie," etc.

Informer, November 24, 1945.

informermilburnnov24452pb9.jpg

The Bronze Peacock Dinner and Dance Club (5200 Liberty Road @ Erastus in the Fifth Ward) is one of the better remembered Houston night clubs since owner Don Robey named his record company after it. But it was only open from 1946-1950.

Here is an ad for its opening night, Monday, Feb. 18, 1946. As you can see, music played only a part in the entertainment...the headliners were Mack & Ace ("Champion Jitterbug Couple"), Winn & Winn ("Comedy Dance Team"), etc. The band was the venerable I.H. Smalley Orch.

informerbronzepeacockfead4.jpg

Goree Carter should have been a star, or at least a regional star like Gatemouth Brown, but his career never recovered after he was drafted into the Korean War. His "Rock Awhile" (1949) is considered an early rock 'n roll record.

The Whispering Pines was at 8002 Hirsch, on the North Side. Beer was 10 cents.

Informer, May 20, 1950.

informergoreemay20502fn4.jpg

Ella Fitzgerald, Lester Young, Coleman Hawkins, and Oscar Peterson a.o. appeared at the City Auditorium on Nov. 25, 1950, as part of one of the "Jazz at the Philharmonic" tours. There were more in the years to come.

Informer, Nov. 25, 1950.

informerjatpnov25502gu5.jpg

Club Matinee (3224 Lyons) took over once the Bronze Peacock folded. Note that it was open 24 hours. This was the spot for R&B in Houston in the '50s. Everybody played there, or hung out there.

Milton Willis had a jump blues combo and a few local records, but is forgotten today.

"Joe Turner vs. Clarence Green in Big Battle of Blues December 20" would have been worth waiting for.

Informer, Nov. 25,1950.

informereldmatinee25502uu5.jpg

Here is typical R&B / rock 'n roll show that went on at the City Auditorium a few times a month, every month, for the duration of the '50s. It's weird that these shows are not mentioned more in later histories, and virtually no photos exist.

Muddy Waters' first Houston appearance?

Informer, July 16, 1955.

informersarahmuddyjuly1ta9.jpg

Edited by Don Julio

Just wonder if everyone is able to view your pics Don Julio? I cant seem to view them.

Now you have my curiosity going about that club you say was owned by a Johnny Martinez? Can you provide more history? Imagine the stories they could tell! :o:)

Edited by Vertigo58

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
The Houston Informer is an excellent repository for the city's buried musical past. There are lots of ads and articles on national bands touring through Houston, local bands, etc. I'll post a few ads I've scanned over the years.

Announcing The Cotton Club -- "Houston's Newest and Gayest Night Club." Located on Lyons Ave at Hill in the Fifth Ward. This ad was printed in the Informer on October 24, 1936.

Boots and his Buddies were a jazz group from San Antonio.

informerbootsoct24362kf1.jpg

CottonClubimg064.jpg

Bought this on Ebay recently, thought it had a nice design...does anyone know about these two "cotton clubs", were they two different places at different times? they have different addresses. Matchbook says address is 54 Harvard opposite Washington at 3500 Blk. (hou., tx) phone no. is very old- t 1030. Back says "Finest Dining Service 'South of the Mason-Dixon' Line", seems like it's more of a restaurant, but says "floor shows nightly". :huh:

Mom says she heard of The Cotton Club being a very exciting place to.

Keep in mind in these days there was no television and little $ for teens to go have fun. Most of these venues not only brought in classy acts and bands they had great Jiterbug/Swing/Lindy Hop dance contests! So when you were lucky enough to save up $ and get in it was a real big deal. We just take it all for granted now a days.

Don Julio should get get an Oscar for best documentation of this fantastic musical era!I have a feeling he must have been a really well liked & popular person. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone have any information on a garage band named Deuces Wild? They played the Houston area around 1968: Catacombs, among others. The lead guitarist was Clark Clem. I have 16mm film of this band.

Pretty cool that you have on film! :)

Does anyone have any information on a garage band named Deuces Wild? They played the Houston area around 1968: Catacombs, among others. The lead guitarist was Clark Clem. I have 16mm film of this band.

Clark Clem also played in "The Chancellors, Ltd" with Brian Evans of Evans' Music City. They made a record, "You Be the Judge." Written by Dene Hofheinz.

The Deuces Wild didn't make any records...so, no, nobody remembers them.

Here's Jerry Irby and the Bar X Cowboys at the Main Street Dance Hall (105 1/2 Main) in around 1944. They had a midget trumpet player and drummer at this time.

Really cool, cool, cool and clear photo!

I have been told that many shows or dance clubs also had like comedy relief acts between shows? Like the funny clips we see in vintage 1940's big band films. I was told that there once was some very funny & pretty girl that used to do like a backwards bend and pick up a hankerchief with her teeth while singing? Mom said they saw her as a between comedy deal at some show in the 40's. She just cannot remember the comedian/singers name but said they were amazed how talented she was!

If anyone can name such names or acts....more real trivia? :D

Here's Eloy Perez in action in the '50s. Possibly at the Pan American club on North Main (anybody else remember that great place)?

eloyperezhouston50s.jpg

Anybody remember the Ace of Clubs on Old Galveston Road? It was around for a long, long time. Here's the venerable Bar X Cowboys playing there in the '50s. Note Grand Prize beer sign. ;)

barxcowboysaceofclubs.jpg

Here's Eloy Perez in action in the '50s. Possibly at the Pan American club on North Main (anybody else remember that great place)?

eloyperezhouston50s.jpg

I am in shock! Will PM later. Mr Perez was a member or leader of a very popular band called The Latinierre's and were named best Latin Band for 3 years straight. He was a local Houstonian. Sadly passed away from a heart attack date or year uncertain.

He had a nephew name Ernest Perez or rather known as "Neto" whom was also quite popular throughout Texas. He died instantly in a tragic auto accident in the Taylor, Texas country side area en route to an engagement that night along with another band member. Unfortunately, in these days most musicians always had to drive or fly to events.

More tragedy was to follow in later years, Joe Earnest Perez (nephew of Eloy) would lose his life "ironically" in a much publicized auto accident heading back to Austin after a Rockets game in Houston circa 2002? Earnest had already become some kind of member of the Austin Capitol Congress or something like that? He was a mere 28 yrs maybe? There is a local Elementary school that was named in his memory. -_-

PS, The Pan American was also briefly discussed here on Haif somewhere.

That place was one of the most upscale and elegant dance clubs in Houston when it was new. We have many accounts from people that still have many pics & best of all stories!

By mid 70's the hall apparently went in to steady decline partly due to cities growth, poor management, rough clientel (that became steady) the fights, violence became the norm. Long time Houstonians "avoided" the place, could ya blame em? Adding insult to injury, the nearby Stardust Ballroom was soon to follow in mischief and criminal antics. It was almost "all for the best" to tear down both very "iconic" symbols of the cities Latin community. The winds of change wear blowing.

By the late 70's most long time generation Latin offspring preferred the new sounds popularity of Disco, so the local Discotheques became all the rage and most of these traditional dance stomping grounds seemed to be out of touch or not cool to the younger masses. Kids always follow the latest in music you know.

A million thanks for a most rare of Mr Perez photo DJulio. :)

Edited by Vertigo58

More Old Dance Hall Houston trivia:

Can anyone recall the exact location of another very popular dance hall known as The Blossom Heath.

Mom said it was (if you can believe) in the Near East End of downtown?

Wow!

Update: I may have answered my own question or part of it. Here is an excerpt from a neat documentary that is in the Houston Library.

Frank and Ventura Alonzo (husband and wife) were longtime residents of Houston and Magnolia Park, and were big band musicians from the 1930's until they retired in the late 1960's. Originally fron San Antonio, Texas, and Matamoros, Tamaulipas respectively, they met in Houston and married in 1931. Discovering a mutual love of music, they began their first band in the late 1930's and played for local gatherings in Magnolia Park. Frank played guitar and Ventura played the accordian. Their orchestra developed into "Alonzo y Sus Rancheros" during the 1940's with Frank as the leader and Ventura as lead vocal. From the 1940's through the 1960's the band was popular in Houston as well as in many other areas of Texas where they travelled to perform. They specialized in m

.....Anybody remember the Ace of Clubs on Old Galveston Road? It was around for a long, long time. Here's the venerable Bar X Cowboys playing there in the '50s. Note Grand Prize beer sign. ;)

barxcowboysaceofclubs.jpg

I grew up near the Ace of Clubs, although it was hardly a family hangout. (Not for my family.) It went derelict & I mostly remember it in very sad shape. I've been wishing I'd taken out my little camera & documented the dives & beer joints along the Old Galveston Road.

My aunt & uncle remembered Glen Campbell playing at the Cocoanut Grove.

Don't remember the name of the best club; its roof was decorated with a 3-dimensional model of a Texas Trainer, crashing in flames. The model was pretty big & the flames were neon. Of course, I mostly remember it falling to pieces. The place dated back to the War, when Texas Trainers were flown at Ellington, just up the road...

Edited by MaggieMay