ALDI Grocery Stores

I went on a rant on the protesters Facebook page a few months back - I found it real funny that their main complaint was the traffic issue...when they have a signaled intersection with dedicated turn lanes into the neighborhood. From my trip to one in Dallas, it seems like they get the same, if not less, amount of traffic that a typical CVS would...and I'm sure the neighborhood wouldn't be complaining if one of those were trying to move in!

The whole point of the protestors arguement is stupid - that traffic will increase - blah, blah, blah.

News flash. Traffic ALREADY sucks there. It sucks on South Mason, South Fry, North Fry, The whole area. This won't make any difference.

South Mason is already strip center hell.

Yes, it is already traffic hell on S Mason. It's a death march to get to the freeway on Saturday morning at 10.

Trae's right, it isn't as if the neighborhood is all that. I guess I could understand the Cinco people calling ghetto foul. But I would think everyone out there would welcome something that saved a trip to Supertarget or Walmart, seeing how it takes 20 minutes to go 3 miles. Meanwhile, the Kroger up the road closed down a week ago. Welcome to the downward spiral, FM1960 style. There are only so many large stores that can go vacant before you've got a weedy lot. And it's the 2nd big box to go in a few years. Fiesta already took the vacant Kmart space. The original Kroger on Kingsland became Moes years ago, and there's already a 24 hour fitness down the road. I guess it's time to welcome the next generation of really large dollar stores? With any luck, a halal market chain has the backing to go big and lease the space. Or a Ranch 99.

Didn't know the Kroger closed - been a month or two since I've been through there. Now what I wish Aldi would do is take over part of the vacant Kroger store - reuse it rather than build yet another strip center from scratch. That would be the best of all worlds.

And as far as limited selection, etc. Back in the 90's when HEB came to town - they came with a VERY limited small format - the HEB Pantry. It set them apart from the full-line Krogers, Randalls etc and was a lot cheaper than the way Albertson's tried to break into Houston. And which way ended up being more successful. Everybody seems to love their HEB now. I know Albertson's had some problems at the national level - but they wouldn't have pulled out of Houston area if they were going gangbusters.

The limited format store can be very appealing if done correctly.

They might rent part of the Kroger space but Aldi's are very small. Even smaller then the old HEB Pantrys. Their parent company Trader Vics builds the larger stores.

Yeah - meant to say part of it - I know the Kroger's are much bigger.

And you got it backwards. :D Aldi is the parent company. They are out of Germany. They are everywhere over in Europe.

• 6 months later...

I have no idea why Aldi's is getting this ghetto label from people. There is nothing ghetto about it. They won't have everything you need, but if you just want chips, drinks, and other simple things, then they are honestly the best place to get them.

This.

In hindsight, I think I may have just had a bad experience at the one I'd mentioned in the start of the thread...

In Wichita, there are four Aldi locations in different types of neighborhoods. Each of them are in middle or upper-middle income areas, and they're not all that bad for the basics. Some of the statements made elsewhere are not true though - you can pick up plastic bags for your groceries, you'll just have to pay a whopping 5 cents for them. Larger reusable bags are also available for under five bucks, and you can find both directly under the checkout when you're moving through the line. The sacking areas are still there, just past the checkouts and you can take home old boxes to help contain the items if you'd wish.

Service at each of the ones here is actually pretty good. One of my main gripes is that at any time, there are only one or two checkstands open. Lines do start to extend into the frozen foods area or down one of the aisles before someone will mercifully open another one.

One of the main things I do notice there is the number of older people shopping when I visit. Maybe it's the lower prices or the effectively straightforward presentation at the locations... but that is something I've seen at each of them locally.

In this area, at least, they also tend to spur grocery competition. At each of the locations I've mentioned, Walmart has built and opened a "Neighborhood Market" store to compete with them and other established grocers. In the past two years, 6 of those markets have been built with another underway in the suburbs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Aldi can't be any worse then the bootleg Food Town's across Houston ! They need to shut those stores down. Reminds me of the old Food Lion back in the day, and they went bankrupt cause of lawsuits from unsafe conditions at there stores.

• 2 months later...

Rosenberg will soon be the home to a 650ksf distribution center and Houston's divisional headquarters. An Aldi store will also be built between 2218 & the Southwest Freeway along Reading Road, near Brazos Town Center. The goal is to have the store open by spring of next year. The Distribution Center would be finished by late 2015 with a 2016 planned opening on the west side of the city. If you're familiar with the area, it looks like it's going to be around the old Home Lumber production yards (90-A & Rude Road near the intersection w/ 36 & Spur 529)

Rosenberg Development Corporation Press Release (9/4)

http://www.rosenbergecodev.com/users/0001/docs/NEWS13_Aldi.pdf

Or you could just read the regurgitated press release via the Chronicle...

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/fortbend/news/article/Aldi-to-build-distribution-center-divisional-4785740.php

Reminds me of the old Food Lion back in the day, and they went bankrupt cause of lawsuits from unsafe conditions at there stores.

Not really. The ABC special about them having expired food was all faked, but they weren't particularly good anyway. Interestingly, they came in at the same time as H-E-B, which slipped in with their Pantry Foods prototype, both hawking low frills, discount-oriented grocery stores themselves. And guess who by present day who managed to turn their simple entry point into having a lion's share of the market, no pun intended? 

• 7 months later...

The Aldi store in Rosenberg, across from Brazos Town Center, opened last Thursday. That same day, they held the groundbreaking for the regional distribution center on the west side of Rosenberg.

http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/sugar_land/news/aldi-breaks-ground-on-rosenberg-distribution-center/article_e1dac984-0392-59a6-bb38-5dd113ebdb4c.html

I don't remember titling this thread as "coming back to Houston" I thought I titled it "coming to Houston." Since the distribution center is up and running in Rosenberg, I wonder if they will now expand to the Bryan/College Station area?

I don't remember titling this thread as "coming back to Houston" I thought I titled it "coming to Houston." Since the distribution center is up and running in Rosenberg, I wonder if they will now expand to the Bryan/College Station area?

The distribution center just broke ground. It will prolly expand to B-CS BEFORE that.

• The title was changed to ALDI Grocery Stores

Archived