Is Comcast acting fuzzy lately?

This may be off-topic, but I have been getting fuzzy pictures on Comcast recently. This started just a month or two before the switchover and it happens at least three times a week in the late afternoon. Could they be fixing all the signals that do not come in clearly?

This may be off-topic, but I have been getting fuzzy pictures on Comcast recently. This started just a month or two before the switchover and it happens at least three times a week in the late afternoon. Could they be fixing all the signals that do not come in clearly?

Funny you mention that because I have had the same problem. I originally attributed it to "weather" as it was raining or storming some of those times, but I have exactly that same problem.

By fuzzy are you describing pixelating or actual fuzziness. Reason I ask is pixelating is usually a digital hardware signal loss issue, whether it be in the fiber or the receiver itself. Fuzzy or snowy pictures are usually do to weak feed from networks or signal loss during feed transfer. Tech support should be able to answer it for you.

I've noticed issues recently with both the analog and digital stations. I've been holding off calling support since it hasn't been frequent enough to really be annoying and I assumed it may be due to the switch over from Warner to Comcast.

I've noticed issues recently with both the analog and digital stations. I've been holding off calling support since it hasn't been frequent enough to really be annoying and I assumed it may be due to the switch over from Warner to Comcast.

I should note that the problems all started with Channel 2...which had a terrible signal on cable channel 2, which is why channel 2 is now on channel 12 instead. This probably started with the problems in the Sugar Land system that go back to the days of Prime Cable, because I can recall in some places KNWS took channel 2's place when Warner Cable dropped BET in a controversial move to accomodate KNWS, but in SL it was KTMD that took channel 2's place...

At one time (1999 probably) I think Channel 2 was distributed in different parts of Houston on 2, 4, 6, 10 and 12 depending on area...it was 12 in SL.

Comcast is not Comcastic. I miss my TV Guide Channel/Network.

It won't be long, Pumapayam, before the TV Guide Network drops the channel guide...especially in this day and age when interactive program guides are more worth it...

It won't be long, Pumapayam, before the TV Guide Network drops the channel guide...especially in this day and age when interactive program guides are more worth it...

Yeah, seriously, why would anyone sit there and watch that slow scrolling TV Guide Network when you can simply pull up the Comcast programming guide from your remote and quickly scroll to the channel you're interested in? And you can scroll forward to see what's coming on several days into the future?

As for picture issues, this weekend I was watching a couple of shows that my DVR recorded last week off Logo (160) and had issues with pixelation that came and went. Since I've been home this weekend the live signal on the channels I've watched has been fine, and the problem seemed isolated to two movies that were recorded last Tuesday off that particular channel.

Now if they could just get my Internet where it was working! It went down last weekend and was out for a couple of days. I had a service call in and they were supposed to come fix it yesterday, but when I got back from Montr

• 2 months later...

So I thought this might be a good thread for this.

We are TiVo devotees, and when we were getting an HDTV, we went and got a Series 3 at the same time. We added the HD package to our account and picked up two CableCards.

Anyways, our HD signal isn't very good. We've replaced the CableCards, and we don't think it is the TiVo (maybe positive thinking). Sometimes the picture is pixel-ated, and the sounds comes in and out, but we only see this on the HD channels, and only on a few of them (ABC, NBC, Golf/VS). It is rather intermittent (sometimes no more than 20 minutes, sometimes longer) but affects all the channels at the same time (the three above). I've had a tech out when it was acting up and he recommended changing the cards, which we did, but it only marginally improved the problem.

So we had a few questions for the forum:

1) Anyone else use CableCards in Houston from Comcast? Do they seem to work?

2) Any ideas on which step to take next? I know I have to go back to Comcast (at one point they offered to re-wire the cable from the pole to the house to the attic, where it splits), but does anyone know what could really affect this sort of signal degradation? Like quality of cable, or is this a purely decoding issue (Cable Cards/TiVo)?

Thanks in advance.

We are TiVo devotees, and when we were getting an HDTV, we went and got a Series 3 at the same time. We added the HD package to our account and picked up two CableCards.

Anyways, our HD signal isn't very good. We've replaced the CableCards, and we don't think it is the TiVo (maybe positive thinking). Sometimes the picture is pixel-ated, and the sounds comes in and out, but we only see this on the HD channels, and only on a few of them (ABC, NBC, Golf/VS). It is rather intermittent (sometimes no more than 20 minutes, sometimes longer) but affects all the channels at the same time (the three above). I've had a tech out when it was acting up and he recommended changing the cards, which we did, but it only marginally improved the problem.

2) Any ideas on which step to take next? I know I have to go back to Comcast (at one point they offered to re-wire the cable from the pole to the house to the attic, where it splits), but does anyone know what could really affect this sort of signal degradation? Like quality of cable, or is this a purely decoding issue (Cable Cards/TiVo)?

Thanks in advance.

There is a local Houston HD forum on avsforum.com...the contributors there know their stuff and a few have the ear of the local network engineers (which is good when you can't figure out if the issue is the local station's feed or compression from the cable/satellite company). Even though much of the talk is over-the-air (the Houston section is in the OTA forum), they also comment on cable, satellite, iptv, and fios as well. Might be worth a look :)

I should note that the problems all started with Channel 2...which had a terrible signal on cable channel 2, which is why channel 2 is now on channel 12 instead. This probably started with the problems in the Sugar Land system that go back to the days of Prime Cable, because I can recall in some places KNWS took channel 2's place when Warner Cable dropped BET in a controversial move to accomodate KNWS, but in SL it was KTMD that took channel 2's place...

At one time (1999 probably) I think Channel 2 was distributed in different parts of Houston on 2, 4, 6, 10 and 12 depending on area...it was 12 in SL.

My channel 12 is also showing the bad resolution that you mentioned. I've especially noticed it while watching Texan games.

Just a question, why don't you guys use Directv? I have had Directv for many years in California as well as here and no real problems with every channel being digital.

I stopped using direct tv when my signal would go out almost everytime it got stormy. There's nothing that will tick a guy off more than your signal going out on a rainy Sunday afternoon.

Just a question, why don't you guys use Directv? I have had Directv for many years in California as well as here and no real problems with every channel being digital.

Two reasons:

1) We've already sunk money into TiVo (yeah I know sunk cost, but still) and really like the interface

2) We own a townhouse in a community that gets bulk services that we pay for in our maintenance (water, trash, and cable). So for us to get the HD from Comcast was only $20/month. Since they use the bulk package as our base, we only get charged the marginal.

I think we're going to stick with it...the only other thought we've had is Uverse. I don't like the prices, but feel that it is an innovation that should be supported. If we were starting from scratch (no TiVos) or they were more a la carte, or could stream more channels over the fiber, we'd probably would go with it.

It rains a wee bit more here than in Cali.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, I'm Ricco and I'm a Tivo addict as well.

I noticed the fuzzy pictures as of late, but I figured it was just my TV starting to go bad (can you say "cheap?"), and figured I'd be out of luck until I get a new TV...but first I was going to get an HD Tivo (with lifetime, thank you!) then purchase the TV.

It's really irritating watching a fuzzy picture even when you haven't been drinking.

• 2 weeks later...

I had DirecTv for a while, but then I wanted to get an HD DVR. At the time, I would have had to buy a $1000 DVR and install a phone line and pay a monthly phone bill. I also heard a lot of complaints about lossy HD compression on DirecTV.

TW offered an HD DVR for $5/month or something, plus more HD channels, and I already had a cable modem. The thing about setting up a phone line just to watch satellite TV was the killer, though. What do I want with more wires coming into my house just so I can pull a signal out of the air?

That was 5 years ago or so and I've been much happier with TW (now Comcast) than I was with DirecTV. The HD signal is fantastic. I haven't seen any of the "fuzziness" described here, but I don't watch ABC, NBC or VS.

Comcast is garbage.

I called last week to have cable installed in my garage. The said they would be there last Friday between 5:00 and 8:00. I get a call at 1:00, "Uh, I finished my jobs early and was wondering if I could come by now." I say, "Sorry, I'm at work, the earliest I can be there is 3:00." He said okay. So I get home at 3:00, and wait, and wait, and wait. 7:30 rolls around and I decide to call the tech that called me to find out where he is. He said he wasn't at work anymore and hung up on me. I could tell from the background noise that he was out at the bar. He wanted to come earlier than scheduled so he could cut out early and go drinking with his boys.

I call Comcast the next morning to explain what happened, after explaining, they apologize and say that someone will be there by noon. I'm at my house until 3:00, no one shows up, no one calls. I have a party to go to, so I leave. Now I'm irritated.

I call Comcast Sunday afternoon and explain what's happening. Come to find out, someone from Comcast did show up on Saturday, at 7:00!!! After sitting on hold for an hour while the customer service guy tries to get a supervisor on the other line, he asks if he can call me back, I say okay. I get a call about 30 minutes later from the area dispatcher, he says someone will be at my house between 5:00 and 8:00 Tuesday evening. The customer service rep I was on the phone with calls me an hour after that and tells me that they have me scheduled for Thursday between 12:00 and 5:00. I say no, I spoke to the dispatcher and I am scheduled for Tuesday from 5:00 to 8:00. We supposedly get that cleared up.

It's Tuesday, I'm home at 4:00. I wait. It's 8:00. No one comes, no one calls. I call Comcast and at this point I am fuming, I let the customer service rep have it (I don't curse or say anything rude). I sit on hold for an hour and a half waiting for the rep to be connected with a supervisor. Finally, the supervisor, Zaraya comes on and is very polite, apologizes profusely, saying "We are so sorry, we dropped the ball, this is not how we like to do business, etc." She tells me someone will call my wife first thing in the morning and schedule a time that day when they can come by the same day.

The next morning, no one calls, no one comes by. It's 12:00, no longer morning, so much for first thing in the morning. My wife calls Comcast, they say, "Oh, we have you scheduled for Friday between 8:00 and 12:00. "No, we told you last night, Friday would not work, someone was supposed to call us this morning, you are supposed to come out today." Well, appearantly the 2 hours I spend on the phone the night before was a waste of time, because they hadn't done any of the things they said they would do, just scheduled a random time. We complain some more and they say we will not be charged for any of the work, and schedule us for Saturday morning, between 8:00 and 12:00.

To be continued..........

Please note, we tried to get DirectTV when we moved into our house. There are too many trees blocking our signal. DirectTV is not an option.

Time Warner showed up when they said they would.

Comcast is garbage. Zaraya is a liar.

Anyone's picture stretched out? It just started in the last couple of weeks for us. To the point that people in the scene speaking could be missing from the picture. The station logos in the corner are cut off by half or more.

We have HDtv and the HD box. This is on our HD channels and non-HDchannels. No matter what setting we put the tv on, the screen is noticiably stretched out. We also noticed that on the non-HD channels the empty space on the sides is now gone and the picture is stretched to the edges. Is anyone else having this problem? We're assuming it's Comcast since the tv hasn't had a problem like this in the 2 years we've had it and changing settings didn't work.

Change the format adjustments on your 16:9 setting. Some TV's have 1080i standard, 1080i wide, 1080i expanded, I know my Mitsibishi does anyway. Hope this helps.

I believe that is what we tried and it didn't help. It's just strange that 2 weeks ago it was fine and now it's not. Same tv, same box, same settings.

Has anyone noticed CBS (11) gettting a really crappy signal during Texan games? Mine is almost like a pulse of fuzzines. It's farely clear and gets a little fuzzy, clear then gets a little fuzzy. It's really strange as is only happens at this time, on this channel.

I believe that is what we tried and it didn't help. It's just strange that 2 weeks ago it was fine and now it's not. Same tv, same box, same settings.

Play with the settings on both the TV and the set top box. I have the HD DVR set top box and it lets you upconvert, pass through, etc., plus my TV can stretch and zoom 4x3 images.

Are you seeing the stretch on analog channels, digital channels or HD channels?

Play with the settings on both the TV and the set top box. I have the HD DVR set top box and it lets you upconvert, pass through, etc., plus my TV can stretch and zoom 4x3 images.

Are you seeing the stretch on analog channels, digital channels or HD channels?

All channels are stretched. But the analog are the worst. I'll try the box. We've tried all settings with the tv, even pulled out the manual. Nothing has helped.

DISH Network gets the sorry end of the stick. Every once in a while they drop a channel simply because they want to offer reasonable rates for customers, and then that channel retaliates and drops the ball. This was the case with CBS and the cable nets under Sumner Redstone/Les Moonves/Mel Karmazin (who isn't even at Viacom, nor CBS anymore)'s watch at one time.

We all recall Time Warner vs. KTRK, and also Cox vs. KRIV all the way up in the Lake Livingston area where my maternal grandmother's ex-husband resides. Not to mention the reception problems KPRC had in Sugar Land (the closest area to the electrified antenna farm by Willowridge HS) that forced Prime Cable (our cable provider then) to move Sachse, Balleza & Co. to channel 12 and moved Telemundo (I believe it was them, it was for sure not KNWS) to channel 2. The same thing happened with TCI when it dropped BET (and potentially angered Jesse Jackson & Co.) and added KNWS.

Too bad Marvin Zindler isn't around to deal with this mess that Comcast, DISH and DirecTV fight over, he would have had a field day and even speak this: "It's hell to pay for TV." I feel sorry for all the working class and poor people who are frustrated with their cable and satellite providers.

Archived