Memories Of North Loop/45

I just moved to the area between airline and North Freeway and just a hair south of 610.

We're not in the heights, and the only mention of a 'neighboorhood' I can find is just on MLS listings as "Sapp Gardens" but no where else! Can anyone maybe shed a little light on where I live, and lend some identity to my area?

Here is another block book map of that section of the John Austin Survey. This should give some idea of how everything fits together and the names of the other tiny subdivisions around there. Often small landowners would turn their land holdings into subdivisions and that appears to be what happened here. I would be surprised if the landowner that developed that small subdivision wasn't named Sapp:

John Austin Block Book with Sapp Gardens

Edited by isuredid

The John Austin map show volume 32 page 97. This would be the plat map of the subdivision. You can look at that map at Harris County Deed Records at 102a San Jacinto. That plat map may contain the deed record and the original owner's name. Is that directly behind the Farmer's Market?

Edited by isuredid

The John Austin map show volume 32 page 97. This would be the plat map of the subdivision. You can look at that map at Harris County Deed Records at 102a San Jacinto. That plat map may contain the deed record and the original owner's name. Is that directly behind the Farmer's Market?

man, you *are* the master of old school. thank you SO much.

oh, and yes, just behind it. the area is SO strange. busted houses on one end, gorgeous ones on the other.

there's a farmers' market and a jewish cemetary. the bayou, 2 freeways, a pony farm...

As you can see from this map some of the street names have changed. It looks like the "pony farm" property may still be somewhat intact. Hartwell T. Sapp was the owners name and his wife's name was Elizabeth, hence the street named "Elizabeth" where their residence shows to be. He began buying land in that area in 1879 when he bought 11+ acres from T.J. Shannon who owned 354 acres in the area. Over the years he added more small parcels which he also purchased from the Shannon family. The name "Sapp Gardens" seems to have proceeded the subdivision, which makes me wonder what he was growing. His occupation in the 1880 census said "Gardener". Their son's name was Samuel so there is another street name and they also had a daughter Lula. Elizabeth A. Sapp, the wife and mother went by Lizzie.

Sapp_Gardens_II.jpg

Edited by isuredid

As you can see from this map some of the street names have changed. It looks like the "pony farm" property may still be somewhat intact. Hartwell T. Sapp was the owners name and his wife's name was Elizabeth, hence the street named "Elizabeth" where their residence shows to be. He began buying land in that area in 1879 when he bought 11+ acres from T.J. Shannon who owned 354 acres in the area. Over the years he added more small parcels which he also purchased from the Shannon family. The name "Sapp Gardens" seems to have proceeded the subdivision, which makes me wonder what he was growing. His occupation in the 1880 census said "Gardener". Their son's name was Samuel so there is another street name and they also had a daughter Lula. Elizabeth A. Sapp, the wife and mother went by Lizzie.

Sapp_Gardens_II.jpg

Is it possible that "Sapp Gardens" was a kind of a garden supply center before it became a subdivision? Did people even do that back in 1800's Houston?

Is it possible that "Sapp Gardens" was a kind of a garden supply center before it became a subdivision? Did people even do that back in 1800's Houston?

I don't think so in this case. The settlement in the 1880 census was called Little White Oak Bayou and most of the adult male inhabitants listed their occupations as either farmer or gardener or both farm and gardener.

Wow. How I LOVE this forum! :wub::)

Amazing stuff. Thanks for all the great info...there are some very

valuable and resourceful people on this site.

Jupiter, can you tell where you are presently residing vs. the old maps??

How cool is that?!

Edited by EatSleepMOD

• 4 months later...
Wow. How I LOVE this forum! :wub::)

Amazing stuff. Thanks for all the great info...there are some very

valuable and resourceful people on this site.

Jupiter, can you tell where you are presently residing vs. the old maps??

How cool is that?!

Well, yes. I know where I am (was..sigh)located based on the map. Harty is now Service. Elizabeth, I guess, is now Tabor.

I live in Meyerland now.

• 8 years later...

I live in Brooke Smith Addition, and this listing popped up recently. The age of the home at 1808 Tabor got me digging, since that was around the time Houston Heights was ramping up.

Could 1808 Tabor be Sapp's original residence? Built 1890 per HCAD (which I realize can be off)....Elizabeth Street indeed looks like it is now Tabor. Per HCAD, home has a full basement as well. Would be interesting to go poke around....

http://www.har.com/u/1655d86DE

Edited by kansasmohawk

• The title was changed to History Of The North Loop/45 Area
  • The title was changed to Memories Of North Loop/45