Anyone recognize this building ? (Unknown building in framed photograph)

I bought a framed photograph of a 1960's, 1970's era building at a local goodwill store after dropping off some donations. I purchased this piece because its faded, seems like an original piece and you can tell theres something special about it.

There is no markings on the building, nothing that I can distinguish other than the 60's, 70's era cars. It also appears that theres a good crowd of people entering the building.

It makes it seem like the person that took this photo, probably had some involvement with the building, and took this photo on some sort of opening night.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone recognize the building ?

DSC_1004.JPG

DSC_1005.JPG

I have a similar photo, taken from the same vantage point, from the October 1966 special Houston Post supplement commemorating the Jones Hall opening. Interesting to see the original Chronicle buildings and the Milby Hotel nearby.

ah yes - Jones Hall, and that's the Lancaster Hotel (would have been the Auditorium Hotel then) to the left, then going north along Texas Ave. a void where Calpine Center is now, the Chronicle/Milam buildings, and the Rice Hotel (which looks occupied, so this was definitely pre-1978).

great find!

hmm...Jones Hall opened in 1966 on the site of the former City Auditorium...

just south of Jones Hall it looks like it is fenced off for construction maybe - does anyone know when Jones Plaza was built, since that's what is there now....?

hmm...Jones Hall opened in 1966 on the site of the former City Auditorium...

just south of Jones Hall it looks like it is fenced off for construction maybe - does anyone know when Jones Plaza was built, since that's what is there now....?

Located in the heart of the Theater District, Jones Plaza has a long history as downtown Houston's outdoor centerpiece, dating to its construction in 1966.

i'd say it is west of jones hall

Located in the heart of the Theater District, Jones Plaza has a long history as downtown Houston's outdoor centerpiece, dating to its construction in 1966.

i'd say it is west of jones hall

haha - i said south because of its position in the picture...d'oh

so the what i see as construction-looking fencing and a sign is the built Jones Plaza? or is this picture from 1966 and the plaza isn't quite done?

haha - i said south because of its position in the picture...d'oh

so the what i see as construction-looking fencing and a sign is the built Jones Plaza? or is this picture from 1966 and the plaza isn't quite done?

i was thinking the latter. weren't the plaza and the hall made of similar materials too? i'm pretty sure they were a combo project.

The entire civic center plaza was developed about the same time: Jones Hall, Jones Plaza, Albert Thomas Convention Center, and Alley Theater. The Houston Post supplement mentions that construction had started on the Alley Theater at the time Jones Hall opened. Here is another photo from the supplement that shows the parking garage and plaza under construction. It looks like it may have been taken at the same time as the photo above.

JonesHall2.jpg

• 2 years later...

Archived