Work On New Bike Trail Underway

i noticed that the new bike trail is well underway. the first pic was taken near velasco and leeland.

M01A0065.jpg

this is taken under the gulf freeway

M01A0066.jpg

I was riding through the east end/third ward and was wondering what this potentially could be. I hope there will be some added landscaping for the trail (area needs it), because about roughly 20 years ago this used to be train tracks where the bike trail will be. Well, the bike trail will be a nice asset for the area, now lets see some more development.

On a side bar close, I believe the Mount Zion Baptist Church Development (or something like that) is proposing to build a 50 unit multi-family senior facility close to this bike trail. Its some tax credit deal with the developer and the county (I would guess). Its good to know that the area has not been forgotten. The area is very depressed right now, far from the hyper activity 20+ years ago.

Sounds like a great place for all the drug deals to take place between here and the East End, not to mention the possibility of muggings and other unsavory activities in the secluded areas away from major thoroughfares, and behind houses and other buildings (if they mug people in broad daylight at TSU, they won't hesitate on this new, hidden trail). The cops won't be driving their cruisers up and down that thing, so they can break the law via bike without worry!

Edited by JLWM8609

Very exciting. I ride the bike trail that's here in Albuquerque all the time. A lot of people do actually, but more for recreational reasons.

Will this trail have much utility?

guess that depends who you ask. might be an alternative for some UH/TSU students who live on the near east side. i'll definitely try it out upon completion.

I'd like to see a map of where this trail goes. Is this part of the trail that is supposed to connect downtown and the medical center? I guess it runs through the 3rd ward but I'm not totally sure. I read about it on Houstonist yesterday.

If I could ride between the Rice/Hermann park area and downtown (especially the new park when it is complete), I'd use the trail.. as long as it's safe.

It doesn't look as nice as I imagined after reading about it yesterday. :(

I think I'd try it out in a crowd.. of slower bikers..

the east end still seems to be a little "rough" for me to venture alone..

i ride the eastside quite frequently. some retired friends who live in midtown ride almost daily to various bars/cantinas located as far as 75th and navigation. they ride as far as gulfgate too. my only problem has been occasional dogs but quite frankly i've experienced that all over houston. one time did see an iguana coming out of a gutter on jefferson crossing the street, and then entering another gutter.

Wow, I didn't know we had wild iguanas in Houston!

It isn't a native species, but yep, there is apparently a small population of them in the East End that's been around for quite a while. I'd heard it from a long-time resident of the area but was skeptical until just now.

If I could ride between the Rice/Hermann park area and downtown (especially the new park when it is complete), I'd use the trail.. as long as it's safe.

there are so many ways to ride between hermann park and downtown now that this trail will be out of the way for you. BTW the iguana was about 3' long.

Sounds like a great place for all the drug deals to take place between here and the East End, not to mention the possibility of muggings and other unsavory activities in the secluded areas away from major thoroughfares, and behind houses and other buildings (if they mug people in broad daylight at TSU, they won't hesitate on this new, hidden trail). The cops won't be driving their cruisers up and down that thing, so they can break the law via bike without worry!

Wow ... that assessment sure is a way to bring down the thrill of a new bike trail.

there are so many ways to ride between hermann park and downtown now that this trail will be out of the way for you. BTW the iguana was about 3' long.

Maybe I'll ride the trail just to see the wild iguanas!

There are many ways to ride but which do you think is the safest/nicest with the least number of busy streets?

Maybe I'll ride the trail just to see the wild iguanas!

There are many ways to ride but which do you think is the safest/nicest with the least number of busy streets?

safe and nice are a matter of opinion. i like caroline, austin, la branch. caroline is interrupted by HCC though. i used to ride fannin and san jacinto more frequently but they've become skanky. i've had no problems that i can remember.

As a resident of the immediate area, I am just being real about it.

Not to be combative or confrontational but...... how are you helping the situation in the area. I would like to hear about anything positive about the area. I attended (then) Fredrick Douglass Elementary and my family attends church in the area. I am familiar with the negatives so give me something good.

• 2 months later...

I noticed the tracks started getting pulled that hit mckinney @ palmer a few weeks back, and it looks like there is a small road being poured in now that appears to go all the way to 45.

Anyone know what this is about? I would ride my bike down it to see where it goes, but the tires are flat.

Thanks!

i ride the eastside quite frequently. ... my only problem has been occasional dogs but quite frankly i've experienced that all over houston.

What is great for dogs is mace. Just get one of those small keychain ones. Dogs have such a stong sense of smell, the mace will completely disable them for a short while and won't do any long-term harm. (As a side note, I understand mace is even more effective against bears, who have some of the strongest noses - suposedly it will make them pass out for 30 minutes... maybe that will come in handy someday).

• 2 months later...

"New Road through east end" topic merged with this one.

Some pics from today. This section is crossing St. Charles between McKinney and Rusk. MetroRail will be slithering along nearby so this area could end up being a sort of hub for this new nabe. Some of the warehouses along the trail are architecturally interesting and could make nice cafe/drink conversions.

81sprhf.jpg

6x8okfn.jpg

• The title was changed to Work On New Bike Trail Underway