I sighted graffiti in May

When I was picking up chairs for a party in May, I went to an area near Aztec Rental on 5702 Bissonnet. I accidentally overshot the store and cut through a neighborhood street (on the north side of Bissonnet) to get back to the store. I found an isolated road with crummy-looking apartments. This one building had spraypainted (in black) words - the words made me realize that, even in the daytime, hanging around that side of Bissonnet was probably not a wise idea.

So, was that graffiti made by real street punks/inner city thugs? Should I have contacted HPD about that graffiti?

Edited by editor

When I was picking up chairs for a party in May, I went to an area near Aztec Rental on 5702 Bissonnet. I accidentally overshot the store and cut through a neighborhood street (on the north side of Bissonnet) to get back to the store. I found an isolated road with crummy-looking apartments. This one building had spraypainted (in black) words reading - the words made me realize that, even in the daytime, hanging around that side of Bissonnet was probably not a wise idea.

So, was that graffiti made by real street punks/inner city thugs? Should I have contacted HPD about that graffiti?

Not sure if your age has to do with it but that section of town is in the news almost e/o day.

Just read majority of topics under Southwest Houston/Gulfton, Crater malls, etc. Not to mention the girl that is on trial (as we speak) for stabbing one of thier cholos? No one is that naive. I know your joking. I better say its a nice area so the others don't gang up on me. Get it "gang" up. :P

Just read majority of topics under Southwest Houston/Gulfton, Crater malls, etc. Not to mention the girl that is on trial (as we speak) for stabbing one of thier cholos

This incident with the girl happened nowhere near the bad stretch of Bissonet being discussed.

This incident with the girl happened nowhere near the bad stretch of Bissonet being discussed.

Alright, here we go again. I am fully aware it did not happen there, the fight was in the Montrose park.

___ has a vast group of members in the Gulfton area and Bissonet. Please try to read past topics before assuming we dont know what we are speaking of. Chron has specifics and actual lengthy articles on this vermin.

Grazie!

the jury is sure having reservations so it is a good possibility

Chron is showing tons of support for her from the public. Key to the city I say and a grand parade down Main st. If she gets out that is. Witness protection program for sure.

and here is the Houston connection to this new pestulance that is plagueing our city.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-0...ang-grows_x.htm

Wy can't they make a real Robocop to help us?

I had to go way down Bissonnet past Chimney Rock with my girl for immigration fingerprinting (there's a USCIS fingerprint center there), and I asked one of the security guards (really nice guy) where I could go to study (for example, a cafe like Starbucks) while she waits in line (it takes Hours) and he told me not to go anywhere around in that area with a laptop because it was too dangerous. I had a laptop with me and I needed to work on a program I was writing for one of my classes at RIce, and they will not let you open a laptop or use a cell phone in any USCIS building. So in the end I just had to wait with her for 2 hours doing absolutely nothing. I had no idea what the area was like at the time, but now that I hear that gangs are active in that area, its probably a good idea I didn't try to find a cafe to study at...

The thing that is weird about the stabbing case that nobody mentioned, is that yes she killed a gang member, but he was only THIRTEEN years old! I guess I don't know much about gangs but it seems like that kid was too young to cause any real trouble. If she had stabbed an older dude who had a record of gang related crimes that would be one thing, but to stab a young kid who most likely was not so much involved with the gang (yet) seems totally different to me.

Do you think that 13 year old boy was too far involved with MS-13 to ever get out, and he deserved to die for it, or do you think that maybe, somehow if he was still alive that he might go a different route as he grows up?

what is your skin color jax?

The thing that is weird about the stabbing case that nobody mentioned, is that yes she killed a gang member, but he was only THIRTEEN years old! I guess I don't know much about gangs but it seems like that kid was too young to cause any real trouble.
i disagree. morals and respect are becoming more rare.

It's possible. I'm not saying I believe one side or the other was innocent, it's just knowing that it was a little kid makes it seem sort of different to me than if it was an adult. And nobody had mentioned that fact before.

I'm white with a slight reddish color because I was in the sun too long yesterday. Why?

Edited by Jax

My girl is hispanic, but I dunno if being with her would help me not stand out, but a guy on the Metro yesterday assumed that I was mexican just because he saw me with her (she is Peruvian with a mix of Asian, European, and Indigenous blood by the way). I guess if I was the only white guy sitting alone in the only cafe in the barrio where ____ dudes hang out, with an expensive computer, it might not have been a good scene. :)

Edited by editor

My girl is hispanic, but I dunno if being with her would help me not stand out, but a guy on the Metro yesterday assumed that I was mexican just because he saw me with her (she is Peruvian with a mix of Asian, European, and Indigenous blood by the way). I guess if I was the only white guy sitting alone in the only cafe in the barrio where MS-13 dudes hang out, with an expensive computer, it might not have been a good scene. :)

I was just about to comment on what one brave dude you are. I wouldn't try it again, not even in day time.

The reality is that Houston is right up there with LA and others. There definitely is a different mindset here as far as heeding obvious warnings. When I first went to LA in 76 as a teen, I was somewhat naive to the gang situation. The graffitee was in plain sight no matter what part of town you were in. When family there told me to come back before a certain time and not to go into certain nabes or corners, I listened. Almost everyday there were articles of drive-bys, dope deals gone bad, retaliation. It was surreal.

Once returning to Houston I was amazed at how uninformed people here were about this crap. Even today its still shrugged off as gossip or over-hype. All I hear is "Oh, thats way over in California" your such a whiner". :wacko: Houston will never get like that. Huh?

Guess I was a V13 homey since we live in Venice. :lol: lol

Oh, and these guys are here too. More the merrier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venice_13

Edited by Vertigo58

I didn't try it - good thing. I guess I come from a different world. I wonder what kind of street gangs they have in Montreal. I know the Hell's Angels hang out around there, but they are mostly old dudes on motorcycle and I never ended up on the same side of town as them. I don't think you'd have much of a problem with them unless you were into the drug grade or something. You certainly wouldn't worry about them while studying in a cafe in any part of town.

Edited by Jax

Benton was 16, not 13, at the time she killed 15-year old Gabriel Granillo.

The thing that is weird about the stabbing case that nobody mentioned, is that yes she killed a gang member, but he was only THIRTEEN years old! I guess I don't know much about gangs but it seems like that kid was too young to cause any real trouble. If she had stabbed an older dude who had a record of gang related crimes that would be one thing, but to stab a young kid who most likely was not so much involved with the gang (yet) seems totally different to me.

Do you think that 13 year old boy was too far involved with MS-13 to ever get out, and he deserved to die for it, or do you think that maybe, somehow if he was still alive that he might go a different route as he grows up?

Maybe part of the reason people in Houston are so "uninformed" is that things are not as dire as Channel 2 News breathlessly makes it out to be. Last year's 379 murders sounds bad until you compare it to 1981's 701 murders. In 1981, Houston had 1.6 million residents. Now, it is 2.15 million, yet we have one-half the murders. The murder rate is ONE-THIRD what it used to be. It is up the last 2 years, and that causes concern, but it is nothing like it used to be. And, comparing LA's 30,000 gang members to Houston's 8,000 is a stretch. The definition of "gang member" can be pretty loose, as well. The actual number of hard core gang members is probably half that, or less.

Everyone knows where the trouble spots are. Those that enjoy living in a state of self-imposed paranoia are free to do so. It is a free country, and that includes being free to define life as whatever Channel 2 and FoxNews says it is....or not.

Yes Benton was 16, I did not say she was 13.

I thought the boy she stabbed, Gabriel Granillo, was 14. I guess I wrote 13 by mistake after seeing MS-13 or something. Houstonist reported that he was 14 and so did the Chronicle.

I just looked it up:

This article says he was 14: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metrop...an/4918727.html

This article says he was 15: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headli...ro/4911075.html

So how old was he?

Maybe part of the reason people in Houston are so "uninformed" is that things are not as dire as Channel 2 News breathlessly makes it out to be. Last year's 379 murders sounds bad until you compare it to 1981's 701 murders. In 1981, Houston had 1.6 million residents. Now, it is 2.15 million, yet we have one-half the murders. The murder rate is ONE-THIRD what it used to be. It is up the last 2 years, and that causes concern, but it is nothing like it used to be. And, comparing LA's 30,000 gang members to Houston's 8,000 is a stretch. The definition of "gang member" can be pretty loose, as well. The actual number of hard core gang members is probably half that, or less.

Everyone knows where the trouble spots are. Those that enjoy living in a state of self-imposed paranoia are free to do so. It is a free country, and that includes being free to define life as whatever Channel 2 and FoxNews says it is....or not.

Agreed. If you know which streets to avoid, the chances of you encountering a gang member in a dangerous setting in this city are pretty slim. The only time I personally fear gang member interaction is here at my own house as the possible candidate for a home invasion.

Fortunately I've got a few "negotiating tools" tucked away just in case.

Yes Benton was 16, I did not say she was 13.

I thought the boy she stabbed, Gabriel Granillo, was 14. I guess I wrote 13 by mistake after seeing MS-13 or something. Houstonist reported that he was 14 and so did the Chronicle.

I just looked it up:

This article says he was 14: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metrop...an/4918727.html

This article says he was 15: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headli...ro/4911075.html

So how old was he?

15. Earlier reports were incorrect.

1981's 701 murders.

Holy Crap! I had no idea Houston ever had those kind of murder numbers.

I'm assuming from reading posts that Sharpstown wasn't bad. So where were the hotbeds of activity, and how did a city grow at such a rapid pace and decrease it's murder rate 50%? That seems astounding.

home invasion.

Fortunately I've got a few "negotiating tools" tucked away just in case.

This has to be one of the best responses I have heard on this forum yet. When the going gets tough the tough get going I say!

Trying to stick to topic but I have been told by several people (and once by a cop) that if an intruder is entering your house and gets blown away to make sure to drag him in the house? In other words if the looser staggers to the lawn dies, you end up getting prosecuted or sued by his relatives.

Truth fiction?

There are kids getting jumped into the ganglife at 8. Once your in, your in. The only way to get out is to pay, or get jumped out which is three times worse than getting jumped in.

Edited by Trae

I'm assuming from reading posts that Sharpstown wasn't bad. So where were the hotbeds of activity, and how did a city grow at such a rapid pace and decrease it's murder rate 50%? That seems astounding.

the city hired new officers to help ease the situation. that's where the problem is happening now. we're losing more officers than ever before and the city isn't doing enough to hire new ones at the pace to keep up with those retiring.

the city hired new officers to help ease the situation. that's where the problem is happening now. we're losing more officers than ever before and the city isn't doing enough to hire new ones at the pace to keep up with those retiring.

Even with adding officers that seems like a huge number considering the size of the city then.

How many officers did HPD have in 81? Last I heard, they were currently below the 5000 mark but I'm not sure if that's accurate.

All true.

Many do not want to join for the fact that they can't do the job they were hired to do. When they appear at the scene of an incident they are met by an angry mob and worse end up being crucified by the media. Last I read was they were having to recruit from other cities.

and Gary you said you heard Sharpstown is a nice area? tisk, tisk, tisk. When you have time drive there stop and go in the mall then to Gulfton area. Take a camera.

Edited by Vertigo58