Katy ISD Peanut Free

Yeah, that'd be a deal killer for me.

Yes, it almost was for me, too.

But he has adjusted very nicely - he still has an air conditioned garage to go inside during the day, and to be honest, I kind of like not having dog hair all over the house these days anyway.

In a situation like this, would it be enough if the other passenger emptied the entire bag into his mouth all at once, or is it still a problem?

Eh, I haven't really thought about it like that. I guess theoretically it would be better than having an open bag just lingering there, but really, I get nauseous from the smell almost immediately as soon as the bag is opened, which, is not so much as an allergic reaction as a conditioned response after so many years of being alert for peanuts in the environment, so I'm not sure.

I can tell you though, that "peanut breath" lingers forever, so don't plan on talking to me if you do that!

According to a reserach article on pubmed.gov, approximately 125 people die each year in the US due to peanut allergies.

Other adolescent death stats:

Motor vehicle accidents 100,00+ per year.

Drug abuse: 19,103 per year

Alchol abuse: 19,171 anually

Flu: 63,730 annually

Infectious diarrhea: 3,100 deaths

Suicide: 29,199

While the whole peanut thing is primarily for the elementary students. I will take on your concerns one by one.

1. Motor vehicle accidents: how many children were killed on campus by moto vehicles last year ? Hard to ban these conveyances though, because the kids have to get to school.

2. How many kids died on campus as a result of a drug overdose ? I don't know either, but to prevent that occuring, don't they ban the use and possession of ANY drugs on campus ?

3. How many kids died last year as a result of drinking alcohol on campus ? I don't either, I think KISD also has those alcoholic products BANNED from campuses as well.

4. FLU ? Keep your kid at home if they definately have the FLU. More than likely by the time FLU is diagnosed he/she has already infected others, but it is rare for it to be FATAL to school age children.

5. Infectious Diarrhea: You rarely have a case of Meningitis breakout in school, you will more likely get Hepatitis before you'd get Meningitis at an elementary school, but an infectious disease such as the aforementioned FLU, and Hep are tougher to keep away from, as they are bacterias unable to be seen by the naked eye, than is a pure physical form, i.e. PEANUTS.

6. Suicide, I don't think you have too many 2nd graders hanging themselves because they colored outside of the lines with their crayon. I can see it being a bigger problem in Junior and Senior High schoolers, because we all know how much drama goes on int he halls these days at those levels of education. There are already programs in place for this problem though, and it is up to us, the parents, to be involved in our children's lives.

Eat a PB&J when you get home to watch your Scooby Doo or Digimon cartoons if you are Jonesin' that bad for one. Or eat one before you go to school.

Edited by TJones

• 2 weeks later...

I have several friends whose children attend or use to attend Kilpatrick. According to these folks, pb&j is not allowed, and if your child does bring it to school he/she must sit at a solitary table for peanut butter eaters. I hear it's the same for Griffin Elementary on Fry as well. We go to Rylander and currently do not have any limitations on bringing pb&j in your own lunch. There is no special table your child is sent to if you bring it either. My friends have had a hard time with this as their kids mostly eat pb&j. It seems to be a campus by campus discretionary policy rather than a district one.

I have several friends whose children attend or use to attend Kilpatrick. According to these folks, pb&j is not allowed, and if your child does bring it to school he/she must sit at a solitary table for peanut butter eaters. I hear it's the same for Griffin Elementary on Fry as well. We go to Rylander and currently do not have any limitations on bringing pb&j in your own lunch. There is no special table your child is sent to if you bring it either. My friends have had a hard time with this as their kids mostly eat pb&j. It seems to be a campus by campus discretionary policy rather than a district one.

why don't they isolate the child with the problem? this seems ludicrous

why don't they isolate the child with the problem? this seems ludicrous

btw did you see that you and NativeTexan and others on this blog are now "famous"? This blog is the topic of the front page news story entitled "Rumor Katy ISD Going Peanut-Free Unconfirmed as of Now" on the July 19 Katy Sun....go figure!

Don't they have proofreaders at the Katy Sun ? Mispelled MUSICMAN's name, and I wasn't aware that HAIF is a "blog", thought this was a forum for everyone ?

TJ speaking of MISSPELLINGS, are you on the Katy Sun's staff? LOL ;)

Edited by musicman

It sure does. I use it with almost every post.

Anyway, I agree with MusicMan, they should just isolate the child instead of the people with PB&J. How many people are allergic to peanut butter at those schools?

Edited by Trae

It sure does. I use it with almost every post.

Anyway, I agree with MusicMan, they should just isolate the child instead of the people with PB&J. How many people are allergic to peanut butter at those schools?

That is just it Trae, they don't know how many are allergic, there are some kids who have never been exposed to peanuts, or strawberries, or shellfish. These items can cause SERIOUS problems to their little bodies. It is easier to ban a known substance that try to monitor who has a PB&J in their lunchbox. I don't understand why you guys are in such a huff over it. Apparently it is not even a real story, just gossip.

So... going back to the original question:

We have recently moved to Katy and I was told that Katy ISD is peanut free? Is this true?

The answer is currently no, it isn't true that the entire district is peanut-free. However, some schools in some districts do appear to have the ability to impose their own rules.

this is hard to believe. how is the school going to stop a child from bring a pbj sandwich?
Peanut Detectors at all avenues of entry on any KISD propery!

Any child caught with peanuts or products containing peanuts will be taken into custody by Homeland Security, with assitance from the new Peanut Pal Security Agency, and shipped to the Naval Station at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba!

That ought to teach them little rascals to try and sneak peanuts into the school!

Little terrorists!

(*this has been a phasicious post that does not necessarily reflect the views & opnions of the Katy Independent School District, any State or Federal Agency, or anyone in particular...although it should 4.gif )

• The title was changed to Katy ISD Peanut Free