Developments will follow rules of 'new urbanism'

musicman

A high-end home builder is planning three real estate pro- jects around the city that he hopes will become models for development in Houston.

Frank Liu of Houston-based Lovett Homes has hired prominent architect Andres Duany of Duany Plater-Zyberk & Co. to create master plans for the pro- jects.

Duany is known for his work in the "new urbanism" movement, which promotes walkable, neighborhood-based developments as an alternative to sprawl.

The proposed projects are:

I thought that article sounded like good news, why all the negitivity about these projects?

BTW, are they talking about the old AstroWorld sight when they mention the 120 acres near the Fannin South light rail station? I can't stand the thought of that land being vacant or used for anything awful. Too much was lost on that spot. (sweet personal memories).

Dispite how anyone feels about the loss of the old theme park, it is sickening how they ripped up all the trees on that 100+ acre plot of land. Anything that a future developer might want to build in AstroWorld's old spot would have been better (or at least looked better from the freeway) had they left the trees alone. :angry:

I thought that article sounded like good news, why all the negitivity about these projects?

BTW, are they talking about the old AstroWorld sight when they mention the 120 acres near the Fannin South light rail station? I can't stand the thought of that land being vacant or used for anything awful. Too much was lost on that spot. (sweet personal memories).

Dispite how anyone feels about the loss of the old theme park, it is sickening how they ripped up all the trees on that 100+ acre plot of land. Anything that a future developer might want to build in AstroWorld's old spot would have been better (or at least looked better from the freeway) had they left the trees alone. :angry:

i believe they are talking about the old Astroworld space. the removal of trees was probably done to help in the park's removal. trying to save things in the middle of an area that will be destroyed is difficult. any new construction would have likely finished them off anyway since planners i've seen on large parcels usually start from scratch. PLUS, developers want to make as much money as they can.

I LOVE Duany! I'm really excited about this. Because all though he's a "new urbanist" I read a quote from him that shows he's not an extreme one. He said, "I want to invite people to walk, not force them." I like that.

Archived