Palais Royal Next To HEB Fry Rd. At Highway 99

I completely agree - they went pretty cheap and "tacky". It's unfortunate this was not part of Cinco so it could look more like the Target center on Westheimer Parkway. We don't need huge colorful lettering and evey various color of sign right in the neighborhood - we know you are there. It's not like you are trying to pull someone off the interstate to do some impulse shopping. But if you don't have the build guidelines, they will do it as cheaply as possible without looking horrible.

I heard that Newland (which developed both Cinco and Seven Meadows) or maybe the residents/homeowners association of Seven Meadows, was only worried about HEB being 24 hours so they compromised on the facade for making them adjust their hours and closing overnight. Could be an urban ledgend.

Trendmaker Development did much better across the street with their center IMO.

lol :lol: - my high school daughter would disagree. She continually laments about how homogenous the area is - every intersection in Cinco looks darn near the same. She would prefer some architectural diversity - even if that means a big, bright big-box store or two.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought the trendmaker side looks much better too, with the brick facade stacked all the way to the top for their buildings, plus their little black fence and more trees per sqft. Details like that make it nice, and strip malls more tolerable. The heb side is cheaper looking compared to across the street. Of course one exit down, target area looks much better than either one.

Then an exit further north of that (Cinco Ranch BLVD) is the nicest with the La Centerra development.

Thats like the best, and Villagio is coming along too. Cinco Ranch is doing good work. Wondering how come Seven Meadows has the same developer, Newland Communities, but the standards are lower than Cinco Ranch.

west guy...you segregated illegal immigrants.....when I was just saying DIVERSITy...............I wasn't talking about a certain group...ok? so that's why I called you a racist.

so it is racist to mention illegal immigrants? Is this what are they teaching you at A&M?

Was in the Kingland/Mason Palais Royal the other night, the signs on the door say they are relocating to the HEB site. Could be interesting.

Not being racist AT ALL, but PR do have a lot of Asian and Indian clientelle. I'm sure they've done their marketing research. I rate PR alongside Kohls and JCP for pricing, fashion etc. It's a stark contract to La Centerra. Personally, I think there is room for both.

• 2 weeks later...

I went into the Palais Royal at HEB for the first time this weekend (first time in any Palais Royal). It is just like a mini dept store. They have an Estee Lauder counter and a Clinique counter as well as a decent selection of fragrances. Clothes, shoes, purses. Name brands such as Liz Claiborne, Nine West and Anne Klein shoes. And cash registers at each dept, instead of at the front of the store. It will be nice to be able to run in and out and not have to fight the mall crowd.

I went into the Palais Royal at HEB for the first time this weekend (first time in any Palais Royal). It is just like a mini dept store. They have an Estee Lauder counter and a Clinique counter as well as a decent selection of fragrances. Clothes, shoes, purses. Name brands such as Liz Claiborne, Nine West and Anne Klein shoes. And cash registers at each dept, instead of at the front of the store. It will be nice to be able to run in and out and not have to fight the mall crowd.

This sounds a lot better than I had thought. It doesn't seem too bad now :)

Why do people think stores like these are "ghetto"?!? I suppose it's a much better idea to buy full price from stores like Macy's and Dillards than to go to Palais Royal or Bealls and save money...it's not like the suburban mom's should really care if their newly purchased blouse is "last season"

You don't understand. Saving money is "ghetto". Conspicuous consumption is "high class". Rich people waste all their money. That's how they got so rich, see?

The entire HEB strip center in my mind is absolutely ghetto to begin with. It looks completely out of place in such a beauitiful neighborhood like Seven Meadows, and more broadly, the entire Cinco Ranch area. It's amazing to me how cheap the designers built this, and imo it's a detriment to the neighborhood.

Speaking of which... The traffic at the intersection of Fry and 99 is becoming rediculous. They really need to open an entrance/exit on the ramps of 99, both for Home depot and HEB.

LOL!! I guess whether or not you think the strip at HEB looks "ghetto" depends upon your perspective. I personally, as well as others I work with who live in the area, think that it looks very nice. But then, we weren't raised in the "idyllic" world of master planned communities, we're all from New Orleans - a place that has never heard of MPCs. Now you wanna talk ghetto looking strip malls - I've seen plenty, although, back then, I just thought they were "normal".

The entire HEB strip center in my mind is absolutely ghetto to begin with. It looks completely out of place in such a beauitiful neighborhood like Seven Meadows, and more broadly, the entire Cinco Ranch area. It's amazing to me how cheap the designers built this, and imo it's a detriment to the neighborhood.

Speaking of which... The traffic at the intersection of Fry and 99 is becoming rediculous. They really need to open an entrance/exit on the ramps of 99, both for Home depot and HEB.

Its in now way ghetto, just tacky.

• 2 weeks later...
I completely agree - they went pretty cheap and "tacky". It's unfortunate this was not part of Cinco so it could look more like the Target center on Westheimer Parkway. We don't need huge colorful lettering and evey various color of sign right in the neighborhood - we know you are there. It's not like you are trying to pull someone off the interstate to do some impulse shopping. But if you don't have the build guidelines, they will do it as cheaply as possible without looking horrible.

I heard that Newland (which developed both Cinco and Seven Meadows) or maybe the residents/homeowners association of Seven Meadows, was only worried about HEB being 24 hours so they compromised on the facade for making them adjust their hours and closing overnight. Could be an urban ledgend.

Trendmaker Development did much better across the street with their center IMO.

This is an Urban Ledgend. Newland Communities (Cinco and Seven Meadows developer) did not ever own the land that HEB is on now. Too bad for Seven Meadows residents! I can't stand it either!

thats true! this heb isnt even that bad why is everyone freaking out?

I think that might come from growing up in homogenous MPC's. All development - residential and commercial must look the same, and have at the very least, a brick facade. Heaven forbid something should stand out.

And what's wrong with yellow and purple? :D

LSU-6.jpg

I think that might come from growing up in homogenous MPC's. All development - residential and commercial must look the same, and have at the very least, a brick facade. Heaven forbid something should stand out. And what's wrong with yellow and purple? :DLSU-6.jpg
nothing. i was saying true to "what will make you guys happy"
nothing. i was saying true to "what will make you guys happy"
oooh haha i didnt see the pic at first :lol:

I think that might come from growing up in homogenous MPC's. All development - residential and commercial must look the same, and have at the very least, a brick facade. Heaven forbid something should stand out.

And what's wrong with yellow and purple? :D

LSU-6.jpg

haha, My bad, i was referring to the "yellow" and "purple" HEB on Mason Rd.

Interesting note....while Newland currently is the developer of both Cinco and Seven Meadows....it wasn't the original developer of Cinco. Much of what Cinco (planned commercial sites etc) was planned by American General at the very beginning. Newland is the 3rd developer to own it, and has been smart enough to continue it. In the beginning, Cinco wasn't even supposed to have as much residential as it does, I think I remember it being almost all office/commercial, but they changed when they stared because of the oil bust.

Do I think the Super Target center looks and functions much better than the Fry Rd Center? Yes. Do I think the Fry Rd stuff looks bad? Not really. I drove by this morning and noticed the Firestone building had a ton of brick on it....I was very surprised at that. (I usually take other routes to get home.)

• The title was changed to Palais Royal Next To HEB Fry Rd. At Highway 99

Archived