What Is A McMansion?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's 11000+ sf on a 20,000 sf lot, so yes it is more than 50%, however, it still appears to be appropriately set. Imay be with you on this one Niche.

My mistake. :blush:

I incorrectly thought Niche was referring to the house at 4901 Cedar, which is a block back & the other side of 2nd. I forgot about the bigger, newer one over there. I actually don't like the one on Bellaire Blvd. that much. Like I was saying with the Glass House, I might like it more if it was in another location. I'd still like to see the inside, though.

The one I was thinking of is (according to HCAD) 2965 sf on a 7000 sf lot. So it's pretty darn close close to half! :lol:

I'm trying to wean myself off of the pejorative "McMansion", since I one day hope to find a nice lot in a blighted residential neighborhood and put my McCompound on it, a one-story collection of shipping containers in a spur shape. Who knows, I may end up down the road from Niche and his cement McFortress overlooking the ship channel.

I'm trying to wean myself off of the pejorative "McMansion", since I one day hope to find a nice lot in a blighted residential neighborhood and put my McCompound on it, a one-story collection of shipping containers in a spur shape. Who knows, I may end up down the road from Niche and his cement McFortress overlooking the ship channel.

Not too close to the ship channel. They might think the containers were stolen and come take your house. :lol:

Not too close to the ship channel. They might think the containers were stolen and come take your house. :lol:

Right in the middle of Kingwood. Fill up the whole lot, too.

Right in the middle of Kingwood. Fill up the whole lot, too.

No, the appropriate place for crunch's container house and for NicheLair II is definitely Magnolia Park. Or possibly La Porte, Shoreacres, or Morgan's Point.

Kingwood is a better candidate for NicheLair I, which as you may recall is to be built near an elementary school or church (ideally both) from a large steel storage tank erected vertically, alongside which I will place two spherical pressure vessels--one used as guest quarters and one for a shower. The pressure vessels will be covered with wire mesh and vines will cover them. Atascocita would be better, though, not only because deed restrictions are fewer and further in between but because it'd be visible to many of the flights coming into IAH. Still, there's something that would be especially satisfying about placing it in a swanky inner-city neighborhood with a bunch of uppity bluebloods.

When I see a big house built on a small lot it always looks like it might fall over to me, like it's feet are too small for its body.

To continue with the bodily analogies, I like to think of McMansions as loud fat ladies who wear too much jewelry.

When I see a big house built on a small lot it always looks like it might fall over to me, like it's feet are too small for its body.

" A giant with feet of clay." How my soviet history prof in school referred to the communist mid-century world, but also, perhaps an apt description for large ugly houses and the current housing/mortgage market, in general.

Surely the term arose to describe a "mansion" built for the mass market--a rather oxymoronic thing. Some houses seem to be built by formula or to conform to a flow chart, as if someone did a marketing survey that told them that folks paying n for a house expect it to have x, y, and z, so they set out to build within those parameters but with little understanding of the value of the intangibles about a house that can't be listed on a brochure. They are the housing equivalent of "two all beef patties..." They may meet someone's needs, particularly if that's all that's available where they want to live, but I can't help but think that those neighborhoods have just been Supersized. Houses are bigger, but not better. There's little recognition of the value of a smaller, but well-designed space, and building to the lot line seems to totally negate the value of some space outside the walls that's also part of your home.

This is starting to sound like a rant, sorry. I'll stop now.

Surely the term arose to describe a "mansion" built for the mass market--a rather oxymoronic thing. Some houses seem to be built by formula or to conform to a flow chart, as if someone did a marketing survey that told them that folks paying n for a house expect it to have x, y, and z, so they set out to build within those parameters but with little understanding of the value of the intangibles about a house that can't be listed on a brochure. They are the housing equivalent of "two all beef patties..." They may meet someone's needs, particularly if that's all that's available where they want to live, but I can't help but think that those neighborhoods have just been Supersized. Houses are bigger, but not better. There's little recognition of the value of a smaller, but well-designed space, and building to the lot line seems to totally negate the value of some space outside the walls that's also part of your home.

Is there anything wrong with any of that? Surely, some people really would prefer that there be a full bath attached to every bedroom. Surely some people really would prefer gargantuan walk-in closets. Surely some people would prefer having a den, dining room, and his/hers studies instead of just a single great room. I know of lots of folks who make use of all of these spaces, but only ever bother to use their lawn when they're showing the yard guy how high they want the hedges to be. ...and if they can afford it, then why not?

There are a lot of folks like that, actually. I'm not one of them, but I do not begrudge them their housing or lifestyle preference.

Is there anything wrong with any of that? Surely, some people really would prefer that there be a full bath attached to every bedroom. Surely some people really would prefer gargantuan walk-in closets. Surely some people would prefer having a den, dining room, and his/hers studies instead of just a single great room. I know of lots of folks who make use of all of these spaces, but only ever bother to use their lawn when they're showing the yard guy how high they want the hedges to be. ...and if they can afford it, then why not?

There are a lot of folks like that, actually. I'm not one of them, but I do not begrudge them their housing or lifestyle preference.

Nothing wrong with any of it per se....just expressing my disdain for anything trendy and a little added disdain for trendiness in general, especially as regards a house you conceivably will still be living in thirty years from now.

Nothing wrong with any of it per se....just expressing my disdain for anything trendy and a little added disdain for trendiness in general, especially as regards a house you conceivably will still be living in thirty years from now.

What aspect of housing is not and has never been trendy? Describe a home that is non-trendy.

That is a PERFECT description of what I think is a McMansion.

• 5 weeks later...

For those who think so poorly of 'McMansions', what do you think of garden/patio homes, townhomes, or condos? They all serve their purpose of having more living space than there is land. Do they carry such negative perceptions? A lot of these McMansions that are popping up are in neighborhoods with traditional 1/6 acre lots but in very sought after areas. So when you're paying $250k+ for the land alone, it'd be hard to build just a 2000 sq ft bungalow on there just to hit some magical 1:3 house to lot ratio.

For those who think so poorly of 'McMansions', what do you think of garden/patio homes, townhomes, or condos? They all serve their purpose of having more living space than there is land. Do they carry such negative perceptions? A lot of these McMansions that are popping up are in neighborhoods with traditional 1/6 acre lots but in very sought after areas. So when you're paying $250k+ for the land alone, it'd be hard to build just a 2000 sq ft bungalow on there just to hit some magical 1:3 house to lot ratio.

it's preference. does a single person need 2000 sq ft?

it's preference. does a single person need 2000 sq ft?

Like you said, it's a preference. Does a single person need more than a scooter? Cause even a motorcycle is too much really. Or maybe a Smart car if you need to carry two people... or maybe a sack of groceries? Surely you would never see a single person drive something as audacious and self serving as a Camry or Accord? Because there'd be room for 3 more people and unless they were carpooling that'd be a huge waste of resources.

Of course those are extreme and perhaps ridiculous examples. And I surely have seen some of the grotesques examples of McMansions some people have talked about. But a lot of the houses I've seen in Bellaire are about 4000 sq ft on 8000 sq ft lots and they look good to me. And likely, only a family of 3 live in that house... but so what. If you go by what someone needs... then none of us should be living in anything more than 2000 sq ft for a family of 5.

I always find these topics interesting, as they are all variations on the same theme. The McMansion argument, the SUV/Hummer argument, the environmental/recycle argument, and even the free market/capitalism argument, all revolve around the same things...the right to be greedy, wasteful, boastful and conspicuous consumers, versus the values of being thrifty, conserving of resources and not using more than is needed. What is most amusing about it is the way both sides try to cover their real motives in discussing the issue. The fact is, the McMansion owners enjoy showing off their appearance of wealth. They do not care that it is wasteful, or that it is financilly not a wise move to buy more house than they need, with the attendant mortgage and maintenance costs. But, they also do not want to admit that they are greedy, selfish and self-centered, either. So, they go with the space argument, or some other argument that masks or ignores those traits.

In much the same way, the detractors of McMansions have their own character flaws. Many are jealous of the ostentatious displays of perceived affluence, or perhaps annoyed that their conscious efforts to conserve resourcesare not more appreciated. The back and forth, all while trying not to come right out and accuse the McMansion owners of being wasteful and greedy pigs, can be quite amusing.

Well, the McMansion owners can take comfort in the fact that there are indeed some who are envious of your perceived affluence, You can usually find them watching HGTV. And, you thrifty conservationists? Well, you can take solace in knowing that your thrifty ways pay off during recessions like the one we are in, and that the perceived affluence of the McMansion owners is generally just that...a perception. Here's an article on the troubles of the living large set...

http://realestate.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-...mentid=20336824

I always find these topics interesting, as they are all variations on the same theme. The McMansion argument, the SUV/Hummer argument, the environmental/recycle argument, and even the free market/capitalism argument, all revolve around the same things...the right to be greedy, wasteful, boastful and conspicuous consumers, versus the values of being thrifty, conserving of resources and not using more than is needed. What is most amusing about it is the way both sides try to cover their real motives in discussing the issue. The fact is, the McMansion owners enjoy showing off their appearance of wealth. They do not care that it is wasteful, or that it is financilly not a wise move to buy more house than they need, with the attendant mortgage and maintenance costs. But, they also do not want to admit that they are greedy, selfish and self-centered, either. So, they go with the space argument, or some other argument that masks or ignores those traits.

In much the same way, the detractors of McMansions have their own character flaws. Many are jealous of the ostentatious displays of perceived affluence, or perhaps annoyed that their conscious efforts to conserve resourcesare not more appreciated. The back and forth, all while trying not to come right out and accuse the McMansion owners of being wasteful and greedy pigs, can be quite amusing.

Well, the McMansion owners can take comfort in the fact that there are indeed some who are envious of your perceived affluence, You can usually find them watching HGTV. And, you thrifty conservationists? Well, you can take solace in knowing that your thrifty ways pay off during recessions like the one we are in, and that the perceived affluence of the McMansion owners is generally just that...a perception. Here's an article on the troubles of the living large set...

http://realestate.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-...mentid=20336824

Hahah. Thanks for the post. I literally laughed out loud. :)

Some insightful words there and I cringed in parts as felt that broad brush stroke over me.

Niche, this may be a month late, but I must say that to say that you "put it well" wouldn't be enough. I agree with the points you made.

• The title was changed to What Is A McMansion?

Archived