Tee Pee Motels

Watch4Snakes

I remember driving by them when I was a kid in the 60s on the way to McAllen. They were still in operation and well kept then. I saw an article on tv about a year ago that someone is restoring them. I stayed at the one in Holbrock AZ when I did Route 66 in 02 they are fun and surprisingly roomy inside.

joe

Yep, took pics of them back in the 90's with my friend Scott when we were heading down to Matagorda. We just couldn't believe they were there in the middle of nowhere. It was creepy but cool at the same time! So glad to see they've been renovated.

• 3 weeks later...
are these the ones they showed on PBS? they look different. on PBS they showed the interior of one of the units and it looked comfy. i'd like to stay there for a night, only thing that gets me paranoid is if some passer by nut or robber tries to do something :ph34r:

I think they may have been. I believe I even saw them on a Channel 11 news story.

I grew up in Wharton County and always found them intriguing. Always wanted to see what they were like on the inside. Still don't know what condition they are in now.

Always wanted to see what they were like on the inside. Still don't know what condition they are in now.

well, if those are the same ones i saw on PBS then they are in great condition.

i'll look and see if i can find a link to the story i saw and post it on here to verify if they are the same ones.

edit:

i think what i saw was from somewhere else. anyway here is a link and int. pic for those interested on knowing more bout these teepee's

th_teepeeroom.jpg

http://www.teepeemotel.bravehost.com/

• 2 weeks later...

The gentleman who purchased these a few years back had won a lotto. I want to say the purchase price was about $60K (maybe less)... In addition to having to completely redo each unit, he had to build all the driveways, and included some pretty major road work...get electricity and water to the site, etc. I spoke with him about a year ago and he said he has $1mill wrapped up in this project. He is from the area and always wanted to restore. I myself almost invested in some property in downtown Wharton to restore an old building into a hotel. At the time this property with the T-Pees was up for sale, and the price made it very tempting... but once I found out all the work (road work) that needed to be done... there was some problems with neigboring property owners and property lines.. I backed off. Good thing as I never would have had $1mill to invest. I do not think he will ever see a return on his investment...but at this point I do not think that is the most important thing to hiim. The place looks beautiful... He took an eyesore and completely turned it around. My hat is off to him.

Just read an article from Wharton's newspaper and the motel is still not opened.. (makes me really happy I did not invest in Wharton). Here is a link

http://www.journal-spectator.com/story52.shtml

I called the place earlier today and the receptionist said they'd been open since October 30th of last year.

hmm - i wonder what the date is of the earlier article , then...

i guess it's time to head back to wharton!

• 2 weeks later...
I drove past the restored Tee-Pee Motel on my way to Bay City last month. They really took me by surprize. Looked Awesome!

Wow! It's refurbished and open for business? I can't imagine what staying in those rooms would be like...they look kind of small. LOL

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived