Downtown Lunch Spots

I am meeting a friend for lunch downtown and have no idea where to go. Would appreciate suggetstion from the regulars. I am looking for something casual but nice, and not in the tunnels (its so depressing)! Also near the skyscrapper district so we can walk, so nothing past main. Thanks!

Do you want a waiter?

If so, I had a great lunch last Thursday at Massa's on Smith. Grilled catfish over red beans and rice with pico. Yummy!

The Mexican place at Allen Center is also pretty good, but they are very pricey for Mexican food.

If you don't want a waiter there is Jason's Deli in Allen Center or Droobi's across from Allen Center on the Dallas side.

Do you want a waiter?

If so, I had a great lunch last Thursday at Massa's on Smith. Grilled catfish over red beans and rice with pico. Yummy!

The Mexican place at Allen Center is also pretty good, but they are very pricey for Mexican food.

If you don't want a waiter there is Jason's Deli in Allen Center or Droobi's across from Allen Center on the Dallas side.

I've always been curious about Bouray's...I think that's the name...the Mexican/Vietnamese/Cajun place.

If I ever find myself downtown during the day, I'm gonna stop in for some enchiladas, refried bean sprouts and dirty rice.

I've always been curious about Bouray's...I think that's the name...the Mexican/Vietnamese/Cajun place.

If I ever find myself downtown during the day, I'm gonna stop in for some enchiladas, refried bean sprouts and dirty rice.

I've only tried the Vietnamese at Bourays and it was alright. I suspect it's hard to do anything really well when the culinary culture spread is so great...

Casual, a treasure: Treebeard's at Christ Church Cathedral or on Travis

Great view (but not many people there, so don't take someone from out of town there without warning them that the restaurant is an amenity for the office tenants, and isn't promoted widely): 43rd in Wedge Tower

Great view, great ~$8.00 choose-your-own-ingredients salad: Artista in the Hobby Center

Another local treasure, and on the Preston train stop: Mia Bella Inside or outside

By the same owner and at the same train stop: Cava Bistro.

Great food, casual, indoor or outdoor dining: Corner Bakery, 1000 Main. Even in the extreme heat, it's great to sit outside (it's shaded) listening to the guy playing music, watching and listening to the fountain and watching the people walk by.

Massa's on Smith & Dallas or Lamar & Austin (ParkShops). Not cheap, but not outrageous

Best tunnel restaurant: Houston's in CenterPoint's building

Best cafeteria: 1301 Fannin

Agree on District 7. I eat there weekly (discount for UH employees). Catfish burger is excellent, as are the pasta dishes.

I've become a weekly customer of that place as well (the diner-looking one on Pierce). The tuna burger is my current favourite food.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

That's funny that you said listening to the guy play music while at Corner Bakery. There's two guys! The crazy guy with the banjo guitar "thingy" with one to two strings across the street at the shady corner store that spells like piss is great! He composes his own "music" and you can attend his daily concerts there:)

Treebeards in Market Square is great. Even the church location is kinda cool.

Yapa Kitchen Fresh Take Away is good on Franklin (I went there a month or so ago, could be closed as downtown is not doing well)

Yesterday I went to this new Indian restaurant that starts with a Y on Main and Capital where Laid Back Manor was. It was good, sort of on the casual side and not too pricey. Also busy, so that's a good sign.

Love Mia Bella although it took an hour and a half to get our food last time. We were sharing our bread with the lawyers at the next table. It was funny but annoying. They brought out like one drink at a time. It was weird.

I am a District 7 Fan as well. Unfortunately, they changed managements a few months ago & some things have REALLy changed (i.e. homemade soups & personable service). I still go though. I miss the guy who made the soups.

After reading about it here I ate at District 7 first time last weekend. Decent place!

Yeah, but considring downtown's challenges, I don't know how crazy I'd get with the concept. KISS.

In the same building there is supposed to be a future greek place and a chineese place. I think the chineese place may be there now, but I have not seen anything on the greek one.

Anybody tried it?

A few other little places I like for lunch (or dinner) that fly under the radar that are in midtown, east side of downtown and near Washington are:

Pho Saigon on Milam-kick ass pho, lots of it, healthy, quick and cheap

Jenni's Noodle House on Jefferson under 45 on east side of downtown- large portions and inexpensive, funky atmosphere

Terlingua Cafe on Studemont near Washington-really good tex-mex, good quality meat, all locals from the area, great happy hour!

Jenni's Noodle House!?! That place could choke a Donkey! The only thing funky there is the food.

My frozen pineapple chunk was the last straw. Microwaving Mammasan's soups does not fly in my book.

And just becuae you play Depeche Mode mixed tapes does make you a cool chef.

Well its good. Lots of restaurants in Houston have weird names people don't get (and bad food to boot). It's all about the food, and the environment doesn't hurt. Yapa is in a pretty school space too.

Post Oak Grill in the tunnels is quite good but I remember it was always elbow to elbow packed and having to wait for a long time for seating. You have to go early or take dexatrim before going. Not for the claustrophobes I must say.

Funny to mention strange or peculiar names of eateries. There "was" a Mexican place called "Pinche's" and that my friends is a very vulgar expletive in Spanish. Hee Hee....guess no one noticed. :lol:

Coug-

Hey they're friends of mine! I like Depeche Mode and wearing a feather boa while I dine:) lol

Their spring rolls are good. I didn't say it's the best place in the world, I'm a total foodie trust me, it's just another place in the area and is close to me. I'm sure you, like most Americans, eat plenty of fast food crap for lunch so there's no comparison there. I don't eat fast food, so it's tasty, semi-healthy, and fresh(er) haha

Your friend? Then that makes you a shill.

Tell Jenni MidtownCoog says she's lost her touch. She should focus on the food, not the mixed tapes, and buy a new microwave so she can perfect her microwave technique.

Once you eat a frozen chunk of pineapple you never forget.

And I avoid fast food, too.

Edited by MidtownCoog

Coug,

Notice my HAIF name? PRgirl? It stands for public relations. That's what I do, whether it's for work or not. I'm friends with a lot of people so I spread the awareness, business or pleasure. I can't tell you how much doing little things like that to help others has benefitted me personally and professionally.

You should try it. Maybe you wouldn't be so grouchy :wub:

But if you sell the place, and you know the owner, even when you know it's not that great, to your benefit, then you are a shill.

But since you came out and said it ain't that great I'll let you slide.

For anyone who likes frozen pineapple soup, this is your place.

Vin is a nice, new restaurant which is located in Bayou Place. They offer a "business lunch" for which I believe it's $17 or so.

Yeah I saw that in the Houston Downtown Alliance weekly newsletter. I hear it's also a wine bar? I haven't made it over there yet. How was the food? I'm not a huge fan of Bayou Place though. Maybe before or after something at the Wortham.

Yeah I saw that in the Houston Downtown Alliance weekly newsletter. I hear it's also a wine bar? I haven't made it over there yet. How was the food? I'm not a huge fan of Bayou Place though. Maybe before or after something at the Wortham.

Food is very good. Wine selections are nice as well. We went again last weekend before seeing Spamalot & husband said the osso bucco was probably the best he's ever had.

Can't believe I forgot about Birra Poretti's opposite corner from Alley Theater. I always enjoyed the grilled chicken w/fried mushroom & spinach fetuccini. They lightly pour some kind of hollandaise sauce? (I think) over it. Its good whatever it is. That is my fav when going there. Man, I'm overdue. :wacko:

I also really like the atmosphere of the place. You can actually hear the person/s at your table and the place just has such a elegant ambiance about it I guess. The long bar is very interesting too. This is where I would take a lady after coming from the Theater District.