Big Franks Chicago Style Hot Dogs

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone remember that place?

I am looking for the owner or anyone who may have a t'shirt from them... the yellow one with the big hot dog on it!?!?!

HELP ME PLEASE!

Can you give us any idea of where it was located at least? and maybe what years it was in operation. Was it in Houston, Bellaire, Pasadena, etc?

I know James Coney Island makes a pretty good imitation and the place across the street from Minute Maid Park makes great Chicago and NY style dogs. They add relish, sauerkraut, peppers, whatever.

Got me hungry, now. :wacko:

wow, i had forgotten about Big Franks - the bank flattened it around 1999, i think

funny enough, if you google "5502 kirby houston," Big Franks listings come up

Now, I feel like I missed out. Did they use warm sesame seed buns, etc. I also wonder if they ever had more than one location?

Not sure who remembers but PBS has aired that great docu on best hotdogs all over the US several times.

Not sure who remembers but PBS has aired that great docu on best hotdogs all over the US several times.

ha!! i thought i was the only one that caught that show :) i remember watching that a while back, it was on one of those days i came home real late and watched some tv. pbs has some good shows. the other day they had an episode on green architecture and i think it featured some professors from UT. i'm not much of a hot dog fan.... i think it's been like 5 yrs since i last had a hot dog and it was from coney island :) too bad the one near the cosmo got demo'd.

I think Big Frank's had a sign outside that said "100% Sausage." That always cracked me up.

:lol: if that makes u laugh this place called chewy balls will prob. do the same, lol great smoothies by the way.

If you guys want an unbelievable hot dog although pricey, I suggest trying Max's Wine Dive on Washington.

It's completely disgusting to look at this mound of gourmet hot dog yumminess and it's the best hangover food EVER!

The plate is more like a serving platter for 2, so here's the ascending order of stuff:

Home made kick ass french fries topped with venison chili, cheese, and crispy fried shoestring onions, followed by this enormous hot dog bun and gigantic dog, topped with more venison chili, cheese and onion rings and micro greens for garnish. I might even be forgetting something.

It's enough for 2 easily, but I saw this big guy down one in just a couple of minutes. Menawhile his date demurely ate her carpaccio. It was disgusting:)

The "three big balls" on the menu are pretty tasty too. ha!

I'm thinking they did, but maybe not. Was Ming's on Montrose ever a Big Frank's location? It seems like it was, but maybe I'm wrong.

Yes, Ming's was a Big Frank's. I don't know if that was the original restaurant at that location.

There may have been others besides the one on Kirby. I thought Big Frank's was a franchise out of Chicago but if so they must have gone under completely.

I met one of the guys connected with Big Frank's at a builder's home show - they were providing the food, for some reason. He was unbelievably negative about Houston and the hot dogs at James Coney Island. He just couldn't believe people down here ate garbage like that -- that's exactly the way he put it. It didn't seem like such a good business plan for someone in the hospitality industry to be so negative to a potential customer about the foods they ate, after all, many Houstonians love JCI's coneys (and I did). I had never heard of Chicago Style Dogs and didn't get it. The neon green relish seemed slimey to me. I've never developed a liking for that style of dog and never went to a Big Frank's. Big Frank's didn't last, JCI did.

I met one of the guys connected with Big Frank's at a builder's home show - they were providing the food, for some reason. He was unbelievably negative about Houston and the hot dogs at James Coney Island. He just couldn't believe people down here ate garbage like that -- that's exactly the way he put it. It didn't seem like such a good business plan for someone in the hospitality industry to be so negative to a potential customer about the foods they ate, after all, many Houstonians love JCI's coneys (and I did). I had never heard of Chicago Style Dogs and didn't get it. The neon green relish seemed slimey to me. I've never developed a liking for that style of dog and never went to a Big Frank's. Big Frank's didn't last, JCI did.

Well, they did have other kinds of dogs at Big Frank's besides the Chicago style ones - IIRC, there was a "Texas-style" one with chili and cheese. I've never been too fond of the Chicago-style dogs myself, but I used to eat at both the Kirby and the Montrose locations of Big Frank's semi-regularly, and they made a pretty good hot dog. I've eaten more frequently at JCI over the years, but that's as much a function of their longevity as anything else - I still miss the JCI on Walker, the way it used to be when they still had the chalkboard menu.

Yes, Ming's was a Big Frank's. I don't know if that was the original restaurant at that location.

There may have been others besides the one on Kirby. I thought Big Frank's was a franchise out of Chicago but if so they must have gone under completely.

Thanks! I just knew that Ming's had to have been a Big Franks. Good to know my memory is not failing me!

• 12 years later...

Archived