Aqua 50's Oven

rps324

Is it a built-in or a free-standing type?

What size?

I would like to get rid of my new digital oven.  I hate pushing buttons for 30 seconds when a 1 second twist of a dial would do the same thing.

If you want to complete the retro kitchen look, there is a company called "Big Chill" that manufactures new refrigerators in a variety of 50s colors.

sb.jpg

That is a nice looking oven. Why not leave it? It adds a lot of character. I would just clean up the cabinets and spray paint them. Change the counter tops, from what I can tell, and possibly consider doing something different with the floor. I would not spend a fortune on the kitchen. Buyers want so many different things these days. Let them put in the extras they want.

I know some people that just bought a remodeled house in Timbergrove Manor. They were so happy to get out of the Heights, same as most of the original residents of Timbergrove. But their kitchen had just been redone 2 years ago and they hate it and are going to rip it out again. I see several houses each week and very seldom see a remodeled kitchen that is nice and worth what was probably spent on it.

I would keep it clean and simple. It looks like a room was added behind the kitchen. Are you tearing that off? It makes the kitchen dark. You could add one of those solartube skylights to the kitchen I guess since it seems to be a one story.

That house looks nice from the front. I think it had been for sale for a long time and was a forclosure? I bought a forclosed house in Spring Branch and fixed it up. It had been vacant a long time and the cabinents smelled musty. You can clean them with consan and then get an ozone machine to kill the bacteria so the smells go away.

My parents customized our mod 1960 kitchen in Sharpstown with the oven, range, hood, dishwasher and double sink in glorious aqua. Then they got a new Norge refrigerator and had it painted to match. The wallpaper was an aqua, teal and gold colored diamond pattern with matching custom draperies. I still love Aqua to this day and try to use it in every room. They furnished that house with mod from Alyson-Jon in the Village. She was all contemporary back then. They had Thayer Coggin, Maxfield-something, arteluce, ect. The brand new hardwood floors were considered generic and plain. They had to be covered with wall to wall carpeting, off-white color of course, as soon as the savings allowed.

That is a nice looking oven.  Why not leave it?  It adds a lot of character.  I would just clean up the cabinets and spray paint them.  Change the counter tops, from what I can tell, and possibly consider doing something different with the floor.  I would not spend a fortune on the kitchen.  Buyers want so many different things these days.  Let them put in the extras they want.

I know some people that just bought a remodeled house in Timbergrove Manor.  They were so happy to get out of the Heights, same as most of the original residents of Timbergrove.  But their kitchen had just been redone 2 years ago and they hate it and are going to rip it out again.  I see several houses each week and very seldom see a remodeled kitchen that is nice and worth what was probably spent on it. 

I would keep it clean and simple.  It looks like a room was added behind the kitchen.  Are you tearing that off?  It makes the kitchen dark.  You could add one of those solartube skylights to the kitchen I guess since it seems to be a one story.

That house looks nice from the front.  I think it had been for sale for a long time and was a forclosure?  I bought a forclosed house in Spring Branch and fixed it up.  It had been vacant a long time and the cabinents smelled musty.  You can clean them with consan and then get an ozone machine to kill the bacteria so the smells go away.

My parents customized our mod 1960 kitchen in Sharpstown with the oven, range, hood, dishwasher and double sink in glorious aqua.  Then they got a new Norge refrigerator and had it painted to match.  The wallpaper was an aqua, teal  and gold colored diamond pattern with matching custom draperies.  I still love Aqua to this day and try to use it in every room.  They furnished that house with mod from Alyson-Jon in the Village.  She was all contemporary back then.  They had Thayer Coggin, Maxfield-something, arteluce, ect.  The brand new hardwood floors were considered generic and plain.  They had to be covered with wall to wall carpeting, off-white color of course, as soon as the savings allowed.

Believe you me saving as much as possible and just painting the cabinets was the original plan. They are so far gone it would take too much to salvage them. There were a number of issues that made replacement unavoidable. And I am much, much unhappy about that!

I am going to keep it as simple and sleek as possible, on a budget. The patio on the back has been glassed in, so taking out the glass wouldn't change the lighting much. Plus I would lose the square footage and that won't help me on the resale. It's getting a slide in stove so the aqua oven won't work in the grand scheme of things. Plus I don't think at this point the general public would appreciate it on the resale. It would probably end up in the trash a week after I sold the house. So I would rather see someone get it who appreciates the value. the bath cabinets and ceramic was fine, luckily, so I am keeping all that original. Just changing hardware to something modern.

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings, I'm new to the group, but if this is still available, I'm definitely interested.  Where to store is another matter ....

It is still available. But just barely! E-mail me and if you want it, I can tell you where to pick it up. rps0324@houston.rr.com

Also, if you know anybody needing a mod house, that one will be on the market soon.

• 1 month later...

Go Atomic actually got that one. I would be curious to see if it ended up working okay, was restorable, etc.

Since I wouldn't have a range top, dishwasher, etc, to match. Plus it needed work, and then I figured after all that expense I would get people who would not "get it" on the whole aqua vintage look, so I thought it best to pass it on to someone who could possibly really use it.

As a footnote, there is a mod house on Hillcroft in Maplewood for sale, it is on the list on the Houston Mod site. It has one of the same ovens in it, in better shape, but it is lemon yellow. The house has yellow formica with aqua boomerang patterns. It is so cool!

If it sells, those interested in that sort of thing may want to check on it. You know how quick those things can end up on the curb...

• 3 months later...

the old mod finally got dragged, kicking and screaming, to the closing table. I had not met the buyers until then and apparently they are into mid-century modern. I was relieved. After all the work to restore it I would have hated to go by and see some brass carriage lanterns and a leaded glass door!